Roberto Martinez Shenanigans: All Reaction Here

How do you feel about the Roberto Martinez hiring?

• Great hire. He'll do better than Moyes.

Votes: 65 18.4%
  • Good hire. There were better available.

Votes: 116 32.9%
  • Meh

Votes: 59 16.7%
  • Wasn't the worst. Wasn't the best.

Votes: 96 27.2%
  • We're getting relegated.

Votes: 17 4.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What real world is this? A real world were we cannot do better than getting a manager who has been relegated less than 2 weeks ago?
There are lots of manager out there who have done a lot better than with comparable or lesser budgets. Tuchel, Van Basten, Fevre, Blanc to name but 4.

Not in the PL, mate.

Cattermole, Valencia, Zaki, Palacios were all sold between the start of Bruce's final season and the start of Martinez's first season. From that point Martinez continuously lost his best players and was given less money back to replace them.

A bit like Moyes, accept Moyes finished us in the top 6, Martinez got them relegated.

So has Coyle, Phil Brown, Ian Dowie etc. For every 1 there are probably 10 you wouldn't want. But thats not the point here. When Klopp got relegated, within a month of being relegated did he have a side in the top 6 of the Bundesliga scouting him? If Martinez bounced back as well as Klopp did with Mainz I'd be delighted. At the moment, as a top 6 side, our ambitions should be higher.

He stayed an extra season in the Second Division, couldn't get Mainz promoted and resigned to join Dortmund at the end of the season

The relagation with Wigan doesn't overly bother me. The defensive side of his teams does. His 3-4-3 tactic does.

Lets hope that if its him, he has the mentality to work with our current back room team to make sure that we stick with what's good about our team and he just tries to tweak what can be improved.

Transfer's are a worry obviously but mainly that's due to moyes excellence in that area. Fingers crossed there!

He's not coming into something that's broken. Hopefully he's clever enough to understand that and just want to put his stamp on it as apposed to changing it all.

Fits well with the Clubs new motto.

"Could have been worse"

On a serious point - it is always going to be a Martinez, Mackay, Neville Weir or Stubbs style appointment. A safe bet for the board, someone who won't 'rock the boat'

From all the appointments this board would have made (their short list) - he's the best in my opinion.

That said, remember Martinez has turned down Aston Villa and Liverpool in the past - so it's not a given and if he asks for free toast every day we'll claim he had a dodgy knee.

"Ne feceris ut rideam".

"Dont make me laugh"

Well perhaps. Why are we limiting our search to the Premier league though, specifically people who have just been relegated in the premier league?

point is Van Basten and all the others you mention may not have spent much, but then neither did most of the teams around them. That ain't the case in the PL, where money DOES matter.

So has Coyle, Phil Brown, Ian Dowie etc. For every 1 there are probably 10 you wouldn't want. But thats not the point here. When Klopp got relegated, within a month of being relegated did he have a side in the top 6 of the Bundesliga scouting him? If Martinez bounced back as well as Klopp did with Mainz I'd be delighted. At the moment, as a top 6 side, our ambitions should be higher.

I do agree, but to be honest is there anyone else out there of higher calibre that would want to manage Everon? You only need to look at the names we're being linked with.

Martinez for me is the best of the bunch.

Far from skint, just stingy. Sky money with a possible sale or two and the new manager will have plenty of money to spend. We was minutes from signing Fer in January for £6 million. Money is there, it's just whether they are willing to make it available to spunk.

We need vastly more than that if we're going to be a regular Champions League team and even more to be title contenders

Spending what we have done has got us to where we are now. It's reasonable to assume that we won't get any further than that unless we spend more

Simple maths

It's got nothing to with our attitudes and everything to do with the harsh reality of things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back