Roberto Martinez Shenanigans: All Reaction Here

How do you feel about the Roberto Martinez hiring?

• Great hire. He'll do better than Moyes.

Votes: 65 18.4%
  • Good hire. There were better available.

Votes: 116 32.9%
  • Meh

Votes: 59 16.7%
  • Wasn't the worst. Wasn't the best.

Votes: 96 27.2%
  • We're getting relegated.

Votes: 17 4.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
point is Van Basten and all the others you mention may not have spent much, but then neither did most of the teams around them. That ain't the case in the PL, where money DOES matter.

I'm sorry but it just seems like every excuse in the book is coming out. Teams in the Bundesliga spend money. As do teams in France. I accept Martinez has worked under challenging circumstances, (as has Moyes), but we have to be honest and say he has failed to do so successfully. The way people go on about a superior budget is a bit crazy. He is not coming into a cash rich club. Our budget is closer to Wigans than Tottenhams so how can this guy take us above Tottenham?

Did he get appointed already? No need to back him prematurely. I really don't need to slate him, his league record does it just fine on its own. Still baffled how some are keen to anoint Martinez as the Pope of Merseyside when over his Premier League career, his goal differential is -27.

He might employ an attractive offensive style but he apparently knows, or cares very little about defense. Jags will be 31 at the start of this season, Heitinga is gone, Baines played every single minute last season and Distin is at least 58.

Throw Martinez in the mix and an injury to Baines, Jags or Distin and you might see Martinez best his GD total of -42.

Being positive about a potential managerial appointment is not anointing somebody as the Pope of Merseyside

Moyes uttered the "People's Club" no long after appointed, what could Martinez possibly do to curt favour with the fans ? media ? .. as sure as hell he'll have to do it.

Is a good point - Wigan were better before Martinez...

He was lucky in his debut season, finishing the league with the exact same return (W9/D9/L20) as his most recent
But that doesn't take into account that he also massively reduced Wigan's wage bill and made a net profit on transfers during his tenure. I know those aren't exciting qualities that fans want to hear about in a new manager, but it does shed some light on why Wigan have only just survived under him, rather than kicking on. He hasn't had anything like the resources that were given to Steve Bruce (who signed Marlon King on £40,000 a week FFS) or Paul Jewell. Their record transfer is only £7m, which was for N'Zogbia, who they were then forced to sell and made a profit on thanks to Martinez getting the best out of him (he's been bloody awful for Villa).

When you look at the players sold by Wigan during Martinez time in charge there ,it shows what a difficult job it was to manage that club. Valencia,Palacios,Moses,N'Zogbia ,Diame and Rodellega that I can think of.

If he is appointed I really hope he does well and proves that it's his supporters not his detractors that are right.

I hope he doesn't try to dismantle the existing set up within the club and hope that people such as Weir,Stubbs,Ferguson and hopefully Neville all have big roles to play.

We don't want to pull asunder what David Moyes built,we want to improve on it.

It looks like Martinez is to be the new manager. IMO he seems a good fit. I hope there is no fan unrest.
If he is appointed its important to give him proper time and support. Feeling optimistic!

Moyes uttered the "People's Club" no long after appointed, what could Martinez possibly do to curt favour with the fans ? media ? .. as sure as hell he'll have to do it.

'The club on Merseyside that aren't nobheads'.

Imagine seeing that on the walls of Goodison!

Martinez Transfers;

BLXKfHyCYAE5L-5.jpg:large

Anyone reckon we'll sign some Spanish / South American players now (if he comes)? He signed a lot of spanish speaking players for Wigan. Negredo? Granero? Suggestions?

Anyone reckon we'll sign some Spanish / South American players now (if he comes)? He signed a lot of spanish speaking players for Wigan. Negredo? Granero? Suggestions?

I love foreign players with boss names and stepovers. For that reason, I'm in.

Well dodged. You're not going to answer any of those questions?

And I'm not in favour of settling at all, I'd love us to be able to go and get a top coach from a big club, but unfortunately, I live in the real world.

I did answer them - check the quote box. That's the difference mate. I'm not talking about getting a big coach from a big club. I recognize Everton has limitations as do you.

I don't find anything inspiring in Martinez whose biggest "credential" before this season was relegation escape artist. Escaping relegation is something Martinez is loaded for bear in experience, experience I hope is never needed at Everton. I want to be intrigued and excited about the next manager. Martinez, to me, is neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back