Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya no way is he going to be hassling and running around up front without the ball and hard to see him being taught it now because he just isn't that type of player and need excellent fitness for that kinda thing.
I don't understand this. Pressing isn't something that should need to be taught beyond a bit of positioning. It's 90% about attitude and having the want to to actually do it. Anyone with proper fitness could be that type of player.

I don't understand this. Pressing isn't something that should need to be taught beyond a bit of positioning. It's 90% about attitude and having the want to to actually do it. Anyone with proper fitness could be that type of player.
some players naturally just do it others have to be reminded and encouraged to do it but i agree about the fitness side.if a player isn't fit or can't achieve the fitness levels of other players they just naturally don't press because they want to conserve their energy for when the team is on the attack.

I agree. But he is the only one up front. So the midfielders should also be taught to put pressure at the same time as Rom, cause otherwise he'll just waste energy while the defenders play the ball around. I'm not entirely sure we have the midfielders to do that.

Alternatively you could play with two strikers. Then it should be easier to put pressure on the defense.

Name checking Aguero and Suarez (pukes) in his interview. The one thing that both "Best strikers in the World" do every game is work their proverbials off. I'm always amazed watching City seeing Aguero chasing down long balls and lost causes, hassling defenders. Rom would be standing pointing at where the other player should have passed it.

I agree. But he is the only one up front. So the midfielders should also be taught to put pressure at the same time as Rom, cause otherwise he'll just waste energy while the defenders play the ball around. I'm not entirely sure we have the midfielders to do that.

Alternatively you could play with two strikers. Then it should be easier to put pressure on the defense.
Correct, but that's more strategy than it is effort. Look at what Wilson, Stanislas, etc. did to us last week. If we played with that type of commitment on top of the talent we have, we'd be pushing the top sides in the table. I think that's ultimately what Koeman wants, but we didn't show it last week and were just plain out worked accross the board. You can always control your effort whether or not you're on form.

Name checking Aguero and Suarez (pukes) in his interview. The one thing that both "Best strikers in the World" do every game is work their proverbials off. I'm always amazed watching City seeing Aguero chasing down long balls and lost causes, hassling defenders. Rom would be standing pointing at where the other player should have passed it.
I agree with this totally both Suarez and Aguero work so hard for the whole team, they're not just thinking about themselves but how the team can win. You feel that Lukaku is just playing for himself, having said all that I would rather have him than not have him.

I agree with this totally both Suarez and Aguero work so hard for the whole team, they're not just thinking about themselves but how the team can win. You feel that Lukaku is just playing for himself, having said all that I would rather have him than not have him.
Last few seasons even when he was shinning simple passes all over the shop I defended him and always said we were lucky to have him but he PROPER wound me up with his antics this Summer. I have more respect for Stones handing in his transfer request and just keeping his head down and getting on with it when it was rejected than all the lies coming from Rom and his team. At the minute he's more Giroud than Aguero and all the chat in the world won't change that.

There is zero point in a lone striker running himself into the ground pressing against a keeper, 2 CH's,and usually at least one FB. The pressing game is a "hunt in packs" one.

And it is not as easy as it sounds.
What is so difficult about your front players agreeing to do this? We used to do this with Moyes all the time with far lesser players.

Last few seasons even when he was shinning simple passes all over the shop I defended him and always said we were lucky to have him but he PROPER wound me up with his antics this Summer. I have more respect for Stones handing in his transfer request and just keeping his head down and getting on with it when it was rejected than all the lies coming from Rom and his team. At the minute he's more Giroud than Aguero and all the chat in the world won't change that.
Most of that is true but he is the ONLY real striker we have and his goal scoring record in the prem is pretty impressive. We'd miss him far more than we'll miss Stones like. He does seem to be a be of a nobhead tho...

Most of that is true but he is the ONLY real striker we have and his goal scoring record in the prem is pretty impressive. We'd miss him far more than we'll miss Stones like. He does seem to be a be of a nobhead tho...
100%. I actually think, in the short term, Williams is an upgrade on Stones. Rom knows where the goal is alright and his record is superb but you can't have passengers in the modern game. It's a real black mark on our board that we have zero other options up front when the likes of Remy, Bony, Benteke, Negredo, Llorente etc etc were available.

100%. I actually think, in the short term, Williams is an upgrade on Stones. Rom knows where the goal is alright and his record is superb but you can't have passengers in the modern game. It's a real black mark on our board that we have zero other options up front when the likes of Remy, Bony, Benteke, Negredo, Llorente etc etc were available.
I defo agree with this, I know Benteke has come from the RS but he defo knows where the onion bag is, Liverpool just didn't suit his style. Madness that we didn't sign another top striker. Valencia isn't even Niasse quality.

Had a good game tonight, did Rom. His hold-up and link up play was great at times, just seemed to fade in the final third of the match.

Cracking free kick too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back