Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goals at 23 years old
Lukaku - 125
Ronaldo - 110
Suárez - 107
Rooney - 100
Ibrahimović - 65

There's Lukaku's pedestal.

He's the best pure goalscorer I've ever seen. Never seen any player so single minded at getting goals, and being able to sniff out the merest of chances and slot it.

But every other player on that list are so much better than Lukaku at the actual game of football that it's quite silly to even compare them.

And that's why, every time people bring up the goalscoring stats for Lukaku, like they're trying to prove something everyone doesn't always know, I cringe.

All those goals while being served by our highly questionable "suppliers" over the last few years. Amazing really.

Second assist for the season today. Didn't score but he was central to the long spell we had when he was contributing to the play in the final third and holding up really well.

He's the best pure goalscorer I've ever seen. Never seen any player so single minded at getting goals, and being able to sniff out the merest of chances and slot it.

But every other player on that list are so much better than Lukaku at the actual game of football that it's quite silly to even compare them.

And that's why, every time people bring up the goalscoring stats for Lukaku, like they're trying to prove something everyone doesn't always know, I cringe.

I didn't post it merely to say "Look, he's got better stats then Ronaldo". Okay sure a lot of those goals are against nobodies. But a good proportion of those have been in vital games for us. And I'm not having that he's just a goalscorer. His hold up play has improved massively, as has his attitude and work ethic.

I haven't said he's at those players level. It clearly says at the age of 23. That's the company he's in for his age. That's the potential. But I never stated he was near the levels of football ability of those players currently. Even if he was in the top 20 I'd be impressed.

Goals at 23 years old

Pele - 354
Ronaldo 9 - 194
Maradona - 154
Neymar - 227
Cruyff - 165

:coffee::coffee::coffee:

All on a different level. But good company, no?

I just can't comprehend some of the criticism that he's somewhat a hindrance. It appears to be a common thing that when a player shows signs that he wants to move on from Everton he immediately becomes 'overrated' and unwanted, that apparently we'd definitely be better off without them whether that be short term or long term.

I'm rather bias because I really rate the guy, and he's not immune from criticism. And I understand that even Koeman's system may not suit him long term. But I cannot understand why people can't enjoy a fantastic player whilst he's here. Everyone has their opinions, and mine is that he will go on to be a fine player.

I didn't post it merely to say "Look, he's got better stats then Ronaldo". Okay sure a lot of those goals are against nobodies. But a good proportion of those have been in vital games for us. And I'm not having that he's just a goalscorer. His hold up play has improved massively, as has his attitude and work ethic.

I haven't said he's at those players level. It clearly says at the age of 23. That's the company he's in for his age. That's the potential. But I never stated he was near the levels of football ability of those players currently. Even if he was in the top 20 I'd be impressed.

OK, and I'm saying that when you compare him to those players at that age, he's nowhere near them, and never will be. He doesn't have the potential they had - he's not even close. He's not in that company in any area whatsoever except goals, and being a top level footballer requires more than just goals.

So posting those stats tell absolutely nobody anything they didn't already know - that Lukaku is an astonishing goalscorer. It doesn't nothing to disprove the theory that he's a liability in every other area of his game too much, too often.

OK, and I'm saying that when you compare him to those players at that age, he's nowhere near them, and never will be. He doesn't have the potential they had - he's not even close. He's not in that company in any area whatsoever except goals, and being a top level footballer requires more than just goals.

So posting those stats tell absolutely nobody anything they didn't already know - that Lukaku is an astonishing goalscorer. It doesn't nothing to disprove the theory that he's a liability in every other area of his game too much, too often.

Sure I respect your viewpoint entirely and I understand it. Football has changed immensely since those players were 23. I think it's a tad unfair that you don't see he has the potential to be anywhere near those names, but I respect that.

Again I have to stress that reposting those stats were to reinforce the point that we have a great player on our hands, one we rely on far too much. It was in response to earlier posts regarding his input for us. Not just to herald him as world class or something.

He's a liability so much as the weight of expectation and reliance we have on him, because we are really stuck should for whatever reason he not play every game.

You know what hasn't helped him is the lack of competition since he's been here. Like some other players of ours, such as Barkley, they've held onto the fact that there starting place wasn't under jeopardy no matter how they played. And I completely agree those stats are extremely subjective, which is why my intentions may have been misinterpreted.

Heck, I even screamed at him today the times his first touch let him down in the box, or he didn't move the ball quick enough. The fact we're having this discussion about a 23 year old both shows that he is a high quality striker, but also that he still has one hell of a mountain to climb. I didn't want to get into a discussion about comparisons to other players ect.

Like I said I'm biased because I find it hard to have a level headed opinion as he is a favourite player of mine. And only the future will tell. Up to Rom to prove either of our opinions right.

If he's never going to fulfil his potential, let's just hope he doesn't after Everton ;)

I just can't comprehend some of the criticism that he's somewhat a hindrance. It appears to be a common thing that when a player shows signs that he wants to move on from Everton he immediately becomes 'overrated' and unwanted, that apparently we'd definitely be better off without them whether that be short term or long term.

It's that, the price we paid, plus entrenched views and/or a misunderstanding of the scope of his core responsibilities as a lone striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back