Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. it only took one game for him not to score (but still get an assist) to welcome back his haters on this thread.

I think you'll find that I was on his back after City...

He did absolutely eff all except score a goal.

I don't subscribe to that idea. He doesn't contribute enough overall, doesn't bring other players into play. He's a cumbersome oaf, and he's going to fail spectacularly at his next team

If I wasn't banned at the time of his hat-trick at Sunderland, I would have ramped it up too, I'm not going to lay off until the club is cured of its sweet Belgian poison

Wow. it only took one game for him not to score (but still get an assist) to welcome back his haters on this thread.

Not commenting on your remarks about "haters" or owt.

But once more I want to point out the absurdity of "assist" stats.

Is Rom to be credited with an "assist" because Bolasie pushed him off the ball and scored himself :pint2:

And this is it in a nutshell. Weird to me how the above description of him can even be debated.
There's copious amounts of fans who still consider Barkely as potentially being a world class player, so their view of Rom is automatically inflated.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big advocate of Rom as a centre forward due to his significant scoring rate but he's certainly not a world class star.

Could he be? Perhaps in the right squad with the right players to support him, yet then arguably that opens whether he'd achieved it individually.

I don't think anyone has said Lukaku is a pressing striker. Doesn't make him a bad one.

People are obsessing too much of high pressing, it's the new fad hipster tactic. Last year was counter attacking. Year before was possession. And because Lukaku isn't a press striker, he's automatically redundant to some.

And let's be honest, his service has been awful. If he isn't getting the ball in the right areas, he's not going to be scoring more goals and not going to be assisting his teammates. Only the absolute best in the world can adapt to different manager's systems completely.

Would Lukaku do well at Arsenal, Barcelona or Madrid? No probably not. Would he do well at Athletico Madrid, Bayern or Juventus? Quite possibly yes. And it comes as no surprise that the last three teams would be the better suitors, Juventus and Bayern have already showed a vague interest.

It's the same reason Sturridge has been dropped by Klopp. Doesn't fit the system and the team are doing better without him. Pogba had the benefit of others in the Juventus midfielder that allowed him the freedom he doesn't have at United. Different systems same player.

Yet Lukaku keeps doing his job, scoring goals, as well as creating chances and holding up play, despite playing in a completely different system this year.

Would I cash in for the right amount of money? Yes if Koeman is going to see out his pressing style. But we will find it immensely difficult to find a pressing striker who can also match Lukaku's match winning ability. Not saying Rom should stay forever. Limited is totally the wrong label to use, otherwise 99% of players should be labeled the same. Realistically only an extremely small percentage of players can actually fully adapt to wholly differing styles of play.

Reactions: DRM

OK, and I'm saying that when you compare him to those players at that age, he's nowhere near them, and never will be. He doesn't have the potential they had - he's not even close. He's not in that company in any area whatsoever except goals, and being a top level footballer requires more than just goals.

So posting those stats tell absolutely nobody anything they didn't already know - that Lukaku is an astonishing goalscorer. It doesn't nothing to disprove the theory that he's a liability in every other area of his game too much, too often.

For the reasons you've stated about his all round game, I doubt many people would, hand on heart, say he's world class.

Mind you, he's slowly improving his all round game so you never know.

Given he'll probably score 20 goals or so this season I guess the question is, which would you rather have, a Rom goal scoring machine or someone who's got a better all round game but might only score a dozen or so goals a season ?

Personally I'd stick with Rom and find a player, or players to complement what he does.

For the reasons you've stated about his all round game, I doubt many people would, hand on heart, say he's world class.

Mind you, he's slowly improving his all round game so you never know.

Given he'll probably score 20 goals or so this season I guess the question is, which would you rather have, a Rom goal scoring machine or someone who's got a better all round game but might only score a dozen or so goals a season ?

Personally I'd stick with Rom and find a player, or players to complement what he does.

Play an actual number 10 or somebody that isnt Ross Barkley behind him and it would allow him to get in the game more, somebody who can actually link up with the midfield and the striker rather than somebody who wanders round the pitch wondering if he left the iron on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back