Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. For that approach to work, you need a clever technician to start it all off with, with players running off his ability to reliably take it in his stride and distribute.

We have no such player - we just have a bunch of explosive luxury players on the wings and an attacking midfielder who has a lot of extraordinary assets to his game, but instant control and quick vision aren't two of them.

Tbh, while some of my statements are willfully over the top, the actual opinion I have of the lad is more or less in there. I don't think he's good for our team as a collective and I broadly agree with everything you're saying about him. His goals make it a difficult argument though, hard to get people to see past them into the hollow, sulky Belgian that's scoring them

;) Starting to come around. Slightly.

Who would you lads buy to fit out system? Out of curiosity

No idea. Manager and DoF paid to do that. I try not to go in for the Football Manager mindset. Obviously Aguero, Costa and so on, but not realistic - but in that mould. Someone who can play with his back to goal, not as a Heskey type but as a mobile link-up player.

All I can do is look at what is in front of me with Everton right now and moan about what I see as not working. My belief is if something is clearly wrong, identify it and fix it, no matter what part of life that is.

The way I see it, if a scout for, say, PSG came to Everton to look at Lukaku, the assessment would be this:

"Yes, the lad will score goals, but if you value pinning sides back with clever possession football using talent from all over the pitch, then be prepared to say goodbye to that if this lad plays for us."

Controversial...but it's Martinez's team with players to play that way. Keeping the ball and when done correctly, hit with pace and skill.

We played some great stuff under him. Can't deny that. All he missed was the other side of the game. Defensively.

Personally, you'd take what Martinez did, sort them out defensively (Gana for eg), up the work rate, and upgrade your Kone, Gibson, McCarthey, whilst adding another nimble pacy striker.

But Koeman will change it completely. We'll be more like we were Moyes.

No idea. Manager and DoF paid to do that. I try not to go in for the Football Manager mindset. Obviously Aguero, Costa and so on, but not realistic - but in that mould. Someone who can play with his back to goal, not as a Heskey type but as a mobile link-up player.

All I can do is look at what is in front of me with Everton right now and moan about what I see as not working. My belief is if something is clearly wrong, identify it and fix it, no matter what part of life that is.

The way I see it, if a scout for, say, PSG came to Everton to look at Lukaku, the assessment would be this:

"Yes, the lad will score goals, but if you value pinning sides back with clever possession football using talent from all over the pitch, then be prepared to say goodbye to that if this lad plays for us."

Now that is a good question, and I'm not sure I watch enough non-Everton football these days to have a good suggestion if I'm honest.

I don't really have an idea, time for Steve Walsh to show us what he can do regarding this.

Off the top of my head I'd say a Javier Hernandez type player but haven't really seen enough of him in Germany to form a valid argument for that.

Explain world class

He scores a fantastic amount of goals, and for me thatbis what he is there for
Let's remember who he plays for and the quality of player supporting him, then look at the World class players and see who,they play for and who supports them.

He could potentially be classed as WC if he played for a top team, until that time he can't be judged..

You can judge a player regardless surely. Point is, even if you want to say he's a "world class goalscorer" - well, that might be arguable but then you could likewise argue that someone like Kevin Phillips was a world class goalscorer and I think we'd all agree he wasn't "world class". For me, world class is about being a top FOOTBALLER - Lukaku doesn't have the intelligence and basic football attributes to be this. He does however know how to strike a ball and he's quite powerful with the ball at this feet running at pace. He's also pretty good in the air - these attributes make him a good goalscorer, which I never he said he wasn't remember, but for me you need more than this to be a world class player. Also, he has better players playing with him at Belgium and his record there isn't great. In fact, a fairly decent comparison would be someone like Hasselbaink - scored a lot of goals, didn't do much else. But I accept that it's up to the individual's definition.

Surely the very definition of a "world class striker" is one whom "always scores goals" :blush:

See above

And this is it in a nutshell. Weird to me how the above description of him can even be debated.

Yes... I too find that weird but I guess everyone has different definitions.

Lukaku is a good player. He's not, by any stretch World Class though. I can only think of one, maybe 2 players in the Prem that are World Class. De Gea and maybe Aguero. Someone who performs top level every week, consistency is what makes a World Class player, a large number of players are capable of putting in World Class 'performances', only a handful are capable of doing it every week.I don't even think Lukaku has the potential to be World Class. He's not a 'special' player, he's a very very good player, probably one of quite a few that would be in the bracket just below 'world class'. That's why none of the big clubs would gamble on him at the price we wanted, at that price, you SHOULD be getting a genuine World Class player.

Rom's movement is excellent. He would be fine in w possession based team. We just don't have a final ball player. If we had Rom would have scored a hat-trick against Burnley.

Play an actual number 10 or somebody that isnt Ross Barkley behind him and it would allow him to get in the game more, somebody who can actually link up with the midfield and the striker rather than somebody who wanders round the pitch wondering if he left the iron on.

wait, that sounds like juan mata. why didn't we buy him again?

To me lukaku is representing modern football too much. Same with barkley

Really hope tom davies and dowell breaks through the first team asap. I'm sick and bored of the senior bottlers and the bigheaded bigmouths

Hahaha one game without a goal and he's back to being "lazy and arrogant", and "not intelligent" enough to be our striker.

You lot are off your heads. You really, really are.

Rom's overall game was good on Saturday. He was probably our brightest player. If Mirallas doesn't overhit that simple cross, he gets the winner. We lost that game because of horrendous defensive errors. Not because of Romelu Lukaku. Stop being weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back