Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can judge a player regardless surely. Point is, even if you want to say he's a "world class goalscorer" - well, that might be arguable but then you could likewise argue that someone like Kevin Phillips was a world class goalscorer and I think we'd all agree he wasn't "world class". For me, world class is about being a top FOOTBALLER - Lukaku doesn't have the intelligence and basic football attributes to be this. He does however know how to strike a ball and he's quite powerful with the ball at this feet running at pace. He's also pretty good in the air - these attributes make him a good goalscorer, which I never he said he wasn't remember, but for me you need more than this to be a world class player. Also, he has better players playing with him at Belgium and his record there isn't great. In fact, a fairly decent comparison would be someone like Hasselbaink - scored a lot of goals, didn't do much else. But I accept that it's up to the individual's definition.

See above

Yes... I too find that weird but I guess everyone has different definitions.
Wrong mate - world class players only play for a small group of teams. The reason being is they play with top players in most positions.
Use Bale as an example, great player at Spurs, goes to Madrid and become a world class player
Until Lukaku plays for a top team he will never be looked upon as world class, but make no doubt he is top draw and will move to a top team at some point

It's sad that it will take Lukaku leaving Everton for people to appreciate how good he has been
The debate whether he's world class or similar ones that are spiralling around are superficial. His scoring rate at Everton has been marvellous.

For all his perceived faults or deficiencies in other areas of his play or his personality, he's a striker who in the mainstay pretty consistently scores.

As you say, when he goes we'll lack those goals and then I think people will realise how influential he was. He's not perfect but he's very good.

Wrong mate - world class players only play for a small group of teams. The reason being is they play with top players in most positions.
Use Bale as an example, great player at Spurs, goes to Madrid and become a world class player
Until Lukaku plays for a top team he will never be looked upon as world class, but make no doubt he is top draw and will move to a top team at some point

Fair enough, I respect your point of view. Bale however was world class at Spurs, he's a much better player than Lukaku. You look at the top strikers in world football now and down the years - they're all better footballers than Lukaku, who is more akin to someone like Hasselbaink, Andy Cole, Les Ferdinand - a very good goalscorer but not one of the elite strikers in the world. I personally don't think Lukaku will go on to one of the top clubs in the world simply because he lacks some basic footballing skills. However, don't get me wrong, I rate Lukaku and I never said I didn't - I just don't think his all-round game is top notch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back