Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that case who is actually scoring the goals?
Hopefully the team would be able to move forward quicker if the ball stuck up front, allowing midfielders to chip in with goals.

You get roughly the same league return from a Benteke/Giroud as you do from Lukaku, and no one would fret about losing either of those two. It'll be fine.

Hopefully the team would be able to move forward quicker if the ball stuck up front, allowing midfielders to chip in with goals.

You get roughly the same league return from a Benteke/Giroud as you do from Lukaku, and no one would fret about losing either of those two. It'll be fine.
Except none of our current midfielders look remotely capable of regularly finding the net despite having many other qualities. The exceptions would be Miralles who can score and Barkley on a good day. I'd much rather play with a top quality goal scorer upfront (Lukaku for instance) and hope those midfielders could add to his goals.

Except none of our current midfielders look remotely capable of regularly finding the net despite having many other qualities. The exceptions would be Miralles who can score and Barkley on a good day. I'd much rather play with a top quality goal scorer upfront (Lukaku for instance) and hope those midfielders could add to his goals.
Sigurdsson said that he had an offer from Everton in the summer, so I expect Koeman to look at someone else in that mould when the time comes.

It's tough to say what's the best way to go. Finishing in the same position with Lukaku scoring 10 as when he scored 18 has me less worried about finding a replacement.

Thing is mate. We overpaid for him. Chelsea wanted as much as they could and we were the last ones left agreeing to pay whatever they wanted, hence the much bigger amount. Around 18 would have been a more fair price in the market and certainly if we had signed from anderlect we would have paid that.

However we were also buying potential so in a way the 28 million was fine in hand over because we knew we were getting a top striker. So it is a little bit of an odd one, we were ripped off on the face of it but then it is a bargain in the grand scheme of things.

Had this argument at the time with a mate who didn't rate him when we first bought him,it's been a running joke between us and he now admits he's well worth the money.

Why do you say Ash we overpaid for him,we clearly didn't, we pushed the boat out and made him our record signing but his value has been increasing since the day we signed him,was it 35m RS paid for Carrol? 32m for Benteke?, we paid what I consider to be the going rate at the time and thankfully it paid off.

I hope he signs a new contract and we can build a team around him so he can take us to new heights, not holding my breath though........now what happened to that 100m warchest?

Had this argument at the time with a mate who didn't rate him when we first bought him,it's been a running joke between us and he now admits he's well worth the money.

Why do you say Ash we overpaid for him,we clearly didn't, we pushed the boat out and made him our record signing but his value has been increasing since the day we signed him,was it 35m RS paid for Carrol? 32m for Benteke?, we paid what I consider to be the going rate at the time and thankfully it paid off.

I hope he signs a new contract and we can build a team around him so he can take us to new heights, not holding my breath though........now what happened to that 100m warchest?
OK best way to put it.

Imagine you don't know lukaku is a top striker. Imagine him being just from the Chelsea academy.Chelsea loan him out to West Bromwich, he has a great season considering his age, but wants first team football and then loaned to us and had the aeason he did have. We want him perminantly and Chelsea happy to sell. They rate him highly so won't sell him cheap to anyone. Wouod 18 million then seem a bit more reasonable?

Granted everyone knew lukaku was a talent when he went to Chelsea and he had a great season on loan. Fitted right in with us and fell for the club. So in the grand scheme of things if you knew in advance he was going to score loads of goals then you expect to pay more, but back when we signed him we didn't know that. We were signing just a good young striker, hence the 18 million pound being reasonable.

Now fast forward 3 years later and the 28 doesn't seem to bad as we were getting a top player (which we knew anyway but you get what I mean ). So that is where I think it blurs a little. We paid what it took to get him here which was great, but for a 19 year old striker 28 million was us over paying by around 10 million of think.

OK best way to put it.

Imagine you don't know lukaku is a top striker. Imagine him being just from the Chelsea academy.Chelsea loan him out to West Bromwich, he has a great season considering his age, but wants first team football and then loaned to us and had the aeason he did have. We want him perminantly and Chelsea happy to sell. They rate him highly so won't sell him cheap to anyone. Wouod 18 million then seem a bit more reasonable?

Granted everyone knew lukaku was a talent when he went to Chelsea and he had a great season on loan. Fitted right in with us and fell for the club. So in the grand scheme of things if you knew in advance he was going to score loads of goals then you expect to pay more, but back when we signed him we didn't know that. We were signing just a good young striker, hence the 18 million pound being reasonable.

Now fast forward 3 years later and the 28 doesn't seem to bad as we were getting a top player (which we knew anyway but you get what I mean ). So that is where I think it blurs a little. We paid what it took to get him here which was great, but for a 19 year old striker 28 million was us over paying by around 10 million of think.

I do understand what you are veering towards but I still think you have mentioned enough positives yourself to be convinced that we did pay the going rate.

We did know he was a top striker, he had just scored loads of goals in a crap WBA team including a smart hatrick against the RS,he had a good loan with us,he had fantastic potential which he has continued to improve on which we factored into the fee, IMHO he was worth every penny of the 28m we paid for him and so it has proved and I only recall a small minority commenting against it at the time

I do understand what you are veering towards but I still think you have mentioned enough positives yourself to be convinced that we did pay the going rate.

We did know he was a top striker, he had just scored loads of goals in a crap WBA team including a smart hatrick against the RS,he had a good loan with us,he had fantastic potential which he has continued to improve on which we factored into the fee, IMHO he was worth every penny of the 28m we paid for him and so it has proved and I only recall a small minority commenting against it at the time
Boss signing. I was over the moon when he signed.

OK best way to put it.

I sort of get where you're coming from Ash but I'm not sure I fully agree. Rom was 21 when he signed permanently for us, not 19, and already an established International too (no mean feat given the competition for places with Belgium's golden generation). There is also a dearth of top class goal scoring strikers in the modern game so those that are come at a premium. Rom was already a very good player when we bought him, albeit one with potential to improve and develop further. So I believe £28m was the going rate at the time and I think hat is backed up by the sort of money we could get for him now if/when we sell him.

On a slightly different note, if you apply the same argument to Stones, I think we've just robbed City of around £30m.;)

I sort of get where you're coming from Ash but I'm not sure I fully agree. Rom was 21 when he signed permanently for us, not 19, and already an established International too (no mean feat given the competition for places with Belgium's golden generation). There is also a dearth of top class goal scoring strikers in the modern game so those that are come at a premium. Rom was already a very good player when we bought him, albeit one with potential to improve and develop further. So I believe £28m was the going rate at the time and I think hat is backed up by the sort of money we could get for him now if/when we sell him.

On a slightly different note, if you apply the same argument to Stones, I think we've just robbed City of around £30m.;)
I agree, city massively overpaid for stones from us.

I just think that for a player that age, 28 million was high. Not high in the sense that he was not worth it, just the fact I believe that Chelsea just kept asking for more money and the board knew they had to pay whatever it took to bring him here. Good for us and happy we saw the board finally back the manager for once.

I agree, city massively overpaid for stones from us.

I just think that for a player that age, 28 million was high. Not high in the sense that he was not worth it, just the fact I believe that Chelsea just kept asking for more money and the board knew they had to pay whatever it took to bring him here. Good for us and happy we saw the board finally back the manager for once.
Yep. I remember thinking WOW when the fee was announced. Never thought we'd ever spend anything near that amount on a player or get to sign a player of Rom's standing. I remember when Chelsea paid £17m for him as an 18 year old and thinking, that's a hell of a gamble. But it turned into good business for them, especially if you factor in the two loan fees they would have got from Albion and ourselves. Do you know how much loan fee we paid by the way?. £4m rings a bell with me for some reason.

Out of curiosity, I had a look at Belgium's national team website and was a bit surprised that Rom has 52 caps already. He has every chance of becoming their highest capped player which is currently Jan Ceulemans (96). Not sure how old you are Ash so don't know whether you'd remember him. But he was a top player in the Michael Ballack mould who mainly played for Bruges in the 70s and 80s. In the modern day he would have played for a top European club. Not that that's got anything to do with Rom of course:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back