Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best part about football - opinion. I say this because I thought on Sunday "ruddy hell, his touch and hold up has improved". Probs me that's wrong though mate, but it's all about the debate!

cl8ihwpau8mkt28tgrp7.gif

Never thought of him as a hold up player with his back to goal, rather the guy who runs on to passes like Del's on Sunday. He needs more support to play the former role, and i agree with mkrudden that he has improved in this area this season....he's even piped down the woman sitting next to me in the Upper Bullens who is not his greatest fan....love him

Seems to have an understanding with Kone that we haven't had in a strike partnership in a long time! Never thought I'd say that about Kone & Lukaku.

Fair play to the both of them, Lukaku has really worked on his game, holds it up magnificently and is developing his attacking vision. Kone finding the net when it matters.

Back to being a pair of duds next week then. :p

http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/evertons-romelu-lukaku-develop-diversify
Over the Summer, an article appeared which probably escaped the attention of most. Lukaku was discussing his pre-season regimen and talked about publicly about his levels of fitness during the previous campaign. He was overweight, he thought, and too bulky. In response, he began his fitness program in America, long before he was due back at Finch Farm.

There’s nothing unusual about that, because plenty of players are similarly disciplined, but perhaps it contradicts the common perception of Lukaku. As a teenager, he was rather too fond of journalists and in those early days at Chelsea barely a week seemed to pass without one of his self-serving quotations surfacing in a Belgian newspaper. He was talented, but he knew it. He was – and continues to be – done a disservice by his representative, too. After the purgatory of his time Stamford Bridge, Goodison Park has afforded him a stable period of incubation – and yet, again, there’s been steady background chorus of agent chatter.

The impression created is of a player who isn’t quite focused on his here and now, but rather of someone who believes himself to already be equipped for the very top of the game. The pre-season story and the subtle commentary it makes on both his work ethic and capacity for self-evaluation helps to correct that fallacy, though, and cast Lukaku as a different calibre of professional.

It’s also not a coincidence that the recognition of his own fallibility has coincided with a dramatic improvement in his game. He looks fitter, thinner, and more aware of the players around him, but there has also has been an obvious tightening of his mechanics and, targetman though he still primarily is, his game is technically more developed and equipped with further degrees of imagination. His personal off-season training program was presumably solely conditioning-based and had little impact on his ability with the ball, but it still pertinent in showing a level of appetite which was previously assumed not to exist.

Rather than being a tipping point, the outside-of-the-boot assist for Kone’s goal was a moment of celebration – a passage of play which neatly surmised how far he has come as a footballer. He may have already scored eight times this year, but his season has been littered with examples of imaginative, cultured build-up play. Reverse passes, through balls, possession switches which change the attacking focus; it’s not just a question of accuracy, but also of instinct and awareness.

He is just going through a Paul warhurst phase at the minute. We are reaping the rewards of that like Sheff wed did with Warhurst all those years ago. Sheff wed cashed in at the end of that season before his luck ran out, and sure enough it did.

Take that 45m and run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back