Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is at the heart of our current malaise.

Every time we have a player bearing down on the penalty box there are very few options for him in the actual kill zone.

Rom is always outnumbered at least two or three to one.

And we never seem to have more than two men in the box apart from our normally woefully wasted set pieces.

It's been the case since about Feb/March Khal, looking back.

Barkley (as much as I love him as a player and want him to do well) frustrates the life out of me for this very reason.

He just doesn't have the gumption to get to the ball first and be in the right position.

He's not a 'creator' as such, so if he's going to play that No.10 role he needs to be picking up those scraps and driving us forward.

There is a certain young Spaniard certainly knows how to find him with both crosses and clever through passes.

Alas he was frozen out by Bobby and is too much of a Cavalier for Ronnie's Roundheads :(

Plus, he's been crap when he's played Khal.

No two ways about it.

Del isn't doing himself any favours unfortunately, and that isn't just down to 'not getting a chance'.

No two ways about it.

Del isn't doing himself any favours unfortunately, and that isn't just down to 'not getting a chance'.

I agree... he undeniably has talent. but he can barely manage thirty minutes at a time, and has done almost nothing since 2013-14. He gets chances, and fails to make a case for himself with them. He's just as guilty of putting his head down and running into cul-de-sacs or losing possession through frivolous over-elaboration as Barkley

but he's not the only one. have any of our regulars actually improved since 2013-14? Lukaku I would grant but I'm struggling to think of anyone else

I agree... he undeniably has talent. but he can barely manage thirty minutes at a time, and has done almost nothing since 2013-14. He gets chances, and fails to make a case for himself with them. He's just as guilty of putting his head down and running into cul-de-sacs or losing possession through frivolous over-elaboration as Barkley

but he's not the only one. have any of our regulars actually improved since 2013-14? Lukaku I would grant but I'm struggling to think of anyone else

Well his form this time last year was superb, but he's been awful since January really.

He looked good in pre-season in a central role, and I would like to see him played there again, but he can't finish.

No two ways about it.

Well, he hasn't been given a run in the team in his best position.

He started off the season playing the "lone striker" role lol

Since then he has been in and out the team.....no chance to build up a bit of momentum.

Lad needs a run of games to play himself in.

Lord knows, that Bolasie bloke seems to be the first name on the team sheet every game and is never hauled off no matter how anonymous he is.

If we want to see the best of Rom, then we need to play the best player we have for bringing the best out of him...Del ;)

W

Since then he has been in and out the team.....no chance to build up a bit of momentum.

Lord knows, that Bolasie bloke seems to be the first name on the team sheet every game and is never hauled off no matter how anonymous he is.

If we want to see the best of Rom, then we need to play the best player we have for bringing the best out of him...Del ;)

What is his best position mate?

I genuinely don't know.

The best he's looked for us this calendar year is when he played as a No.9...

Everton have

That's down to every game there being 8 players more anonymous than he is. Everyone writes off someone like Valencia because he fluffed one chance on his debut, yet Del has done nothing since his purple patch before Christmas last year, and everyone says he's not had a chance in the team. I'm all for trying something because what we're doing isn't working. Just don't see Del's problem as simple as he's not been given a chance.

He can control a ball.

He's just crap with his back to goal.

We don't play to his strengths, so when he's got his back to goal and there's two defenders on him (which there is) we should either look for a different option or there should be players around him to pick up the scraps - that's what 'pressing' is, that's what good teams do... the players back each other up.

Barkley is the prime example as he's the most advanced midfielder.

He should be in a 5 yard radius of Rom in those situations, and on his toes ready to pounce on a loose ball.

No striker can hold the ball up against 2/3 defenders if they don't have support.

Exactly.
This is what happened in the last game of Belgium (under Martinez, dare I say it). Midfielders were in close proximity to him and running past him. He was great that game in holding the ball and flicking it to running midfielders. This is what he can d really well (apart from scoring goals).

What he cannot do well is control a (very) long ball and keep it until one of the midfielders comes along.

If we play forward with running midfielders who are close to him, and not at least 25 meters away, he would create opportunities for the midfielders to score. But now we are talking about running AND scoring midfielders. We should be glad to have a midfielder who runs OR scores.

Exactly.
This is what happened in the last game of Belgium (under Martinez, dare I say it). Midfielders were in close proximity to him and running past him. He was great that game in holding the ball and flicking it to running midfielders. This is what he can d really well (apart from scoring goals).

What he cannot do well is control a (very) long ball and keep it until one of the midfielders comes along.

If we play forward with running midfielders who are close to him, and not at least 25 meters away, he would create opportunities for the midfielders to score. But now we are talking about running AND scoring midfielders. We should be glad to have a midfielder who runs OR scores.

Yep.

Martinez has cracked it by copying (to an extent) Chelsea's system.

He plays with a solid three, which means he can play his best defenders in their best (central positions).

He then has Meunier and Carrasco as the wing-backs (nominally) - and this works as Carrasco is a bloody hard worker and has been training/playing under Simeone for the past few years.

A dominant pairing in midfield - Witsel and Fellaini/Defour.

De Bruyne and Hazard either side of Lukaku.

Gets the best out of Hazard and De Bruyne is given a free role as well.

That being said they've yet to use that system against a top side.

Belgium's players are fabulously talented.
Everton's players (largely) are rubbish.
RK needs to sack the majority of our crap team...or our crap team will get him sacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back