Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://talksport.com/football/premi...n-so-far-season-least-most-ground-covered?p=8

we are apparently 12th in the league in "ground covered," ahead of Chelsea. Burnley are 4th, the kopites, first.

it seems vastly more likely that Rom's stats relative to Firminio in "ground covered" are due to tactical instructions rather than his apparent "laziness."

to say nothing of the fact that for all his valour in the prancing about sweepstakes, firminio still has fewer goals (not to mention a haircut that looks like a bird whose sorority sisters took their vengeance with hedge-clippers).

i will admit though, if we are going to embrace statistics other than "goals for and against" to assign ex post facto grace or opprobrium, there are much duller proxy morality metrics to settle on than running around lots.

watching us compete for the "most running around aimlessly" title would be far more enjoyable, for instance, than the "most passing around aimlessly" crown, where our virtues were once unimpeachable.

still, i would rather we just passed Rom the ball when he's in space in the box, not only yelling but gesturing to Barkley where the ball should go so he can score - which has happened at least 5 times a game now for the past three years.

"oh... and Barkley's dribbled about as the move breaks down, and then smashed it into row Z/the first defender"

There is an article today stating Lukaku needs to run more and here are the stats. Lukaku is averaging 5.4miles per 90 mins with 40.4 sprints.

Sanchez is 5.9m with 58.8 sprints
Aguero is 6.1m with 54.9 sprints
Costa is 6.2m with 65.9 sprints
Firmino is 7.1 with 79.9 sprints

Goes on to state

"Consider this: so far this season, he has been on the pitch for 1,017 minutes. Liverpool's Roberto Firmino has played 1,067 minutes.

In that time, Firmino has run 23.6 miles further than Lukaku and made 490 more high intensity sprints. The difference is colossal.

He wants to play at a Champions League club but it's the same with Diego Costa, Alexis Sanchez and even Sergio Aguero.

They are all running further and harder than Lukaku"

Could be those fellows are given more reason to run than Rom is.

I mean, the four teams those four named players play for spend an awful lot more time attacking than what our team does.

They have players picking out passes for them to run on to on a regular basis during a game.

I bet any money if Rom played for City and Aquero played for us those figures would be reversed and Rom would have ran more miles than the latter.

Stats, eh?

They don't always tell the true story.

They can be used to prove any point a person wants them to.

Reactions: DRM

I mean, the four teams those four named players play for spend an awful lot more time attacking than what our team does.

They have players picking out passes for them to run on to on a regular basis during a game.

I bet any money if Rom played for City and Aquero played for us those figures would be reversed and Rom would have ran more miles than the latter.

Stats, eh?

Nah mate, its just utter laziness from the guy (we can see with our own eyes) we don't need stats to tell us that, surely even the biggest Lukaku fans can see that. He is getting away with it because we have no options to drop him...

Stats, eh?

This.

He's useless. Total crock of [Poor language removed]. Lazy, arrogant, selfish, technically deficient, lacking awareness, intelligence or creativity. Can't believe we didn't get rid.

Stats, eh?

Very true but it's chicken & egg.

for me he makes a run after a pass & usually wins the ball due to his pace & physicality however the first yard certainly isn't in his head & if he actually made more runs midfielders & defenders would have a target.

He puts a shift in when he can be bothered & very rarely sacrifices himself for the team.

If he played like he did in the goodison derby last year there would be no arguments about him being at the very top level & world class.

Nah mate, its just utter laziness from the guy (we can see with our own eyes) we don't need stats to tell us that, surely even the biggest Lukaku fans can see that. He is getting away with it because we have no options to drop him...

He may be "lazy" and I am certainly no great fan of Rom but it is undeniable we do not give him enough opportunities to run more :(

Very true but it's chicken & egg.

for me he makes a run after a pass & usually wins the ball due to his pace & physicality however the first yard certainly isn't in his head & if he actually made more runs midfielders & defenders would have a target.

He puts a shift in when he can be bothered & very rarely sacrifices himself for the team.

If he played like he did in the goodison derby last year there would be no arguments about him being at the very top level & world class.
It's about the only time I've read something by carragher and agreed with. Yes lukaku doesn't possess the creative talent behind him that the RS, Arsenal and Chelsea possess, but last week was an all too familiar picture of when Ross, Barry and Gana picked the ball up centrally lukaku movement was limited at best. Compare this to 'big games' against RS and Chelsea and arsenal, when he has literally terrorised their defences with his pace power and movement that has exploited space for others to move into. You lead from the front, judging by his remarks about 'lukaku's career path' I genuinely don't think Koeman would resist a big offer coming in for lukaku, as the way he talks about the work rate of the team, he wants Rom to lead from the front. Something sadly I don't think he has the desire or possibly fitness levels to achieve.

It's about the only time I've read something by carragher and agreed with. Yes lukaku doesn't possess the creative talent behind him that the RS, Arsenal and Chelsea possess, but last week was an all too familiar picture of when Ross, Barry and Gana picked the ball up centrally lukaku movement was limited at best. Compare this to 'big games' against RS and Chelsea and arsenal, when he has literally terrorised their defences with his pace power and movement that has exploited space for others to move into. You lead from the front, judging by his remarks about 'lukaku's career path' I genuinely don't think Koeman would resist a big offer coming in for lukaku, as the way he talks about the work rate of the team, he wants Rom to lead from the front. Something sadly I don't think he has the desire or possibly fitness levels to achieve.
There was a moment in the Southampton game that added to my belief that he isn't a natural footballer.

Barkley got clear between the lines & broke forward lukaku had 2 men marking him and set off to make a run it was completely the wrong thing to do he needed to simply be a wall for Barkley play a one two then one defender would have had to come forward to challenge Barkley lukaku could then have made the run. Barkley played it into him & it hit his heels as he was side on he then waived his arms like Barkley was at fault it was a prefect pass rolled into him.

He is a cracking player no doubt but the advantages his physicality give him have held him back with regards to improving his all round game as he hasn't needed to improve weaknesses to still be a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back