Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you play to his strengths.

While he's still here, he's the best goalscorer we have, by miles.

Rom's performance stepped up when Valencia came on and there was more space. It's very simple.

You can't force a player to be something he's not. Fans have to accept that. He is never going to be a Diego Costa. He's a big bulky forward who slots when he gets the chance.
I know that Toff. I've been saying for a long time that Lukaku should be used in a 2 striker role, Valencia is not the most technical but he's quick and he opens up the spaces for Lukaku to move into. Koeman needs to stop being so stubborn and realise this.

He should start doing what he is paid to actually do.
Not completely exonerating Rom as there are areas to his game that I wish we/he'd improve, but without viable chances it's unlikely to score.

In the mainstay our midfield is producing tepid, stationary and predictable football which makes it difficult for Lukaku to get the chances we need.

If we actually provided him with a reasonable number of quality opportunities then I'm confident he'd score most weeks; we're unfortunately not.

Odd reading in here, I didn't think he was that bad today.
Seemed a clear plan for him to drift over to the right near to Bolasie and we pumped a lot of long ball in that direction.
Won more than his fair share in the air and used his strength well in 50 / 50s to keep possession.
Even started pressing and getting stuck in with the rest of them when our tails were up in the last 30.
Far from vintage but not as anonymous as the posts here suggest imo.

Looks like he is going through the motions and doing a stones take the money a run his goals will be hard to replace but when he is like this he ain't scoring anyway

The vast majority of the time when the ball went to Lukaku it came straight back because either he didn't control the ball, didn't hold it up and got out muscled today by both Rojo and Jones because he can't protect the ball or didn't win a header because he looses the flight of the ball in the air. The players stopped passing to him so went sideways and that slowed the play down and it became sluggish. It was good to see Gueye giving him a rollicking for his lack of movement.

Lukaku is useless being played up top on his own, he simply can't do the basics for a front player. He can't even judge crosses coming into the box. He needs to be sidelined and on the bench. Can sense the players are getting more and more cheesed off with him, as well as more amd more of the crowd.

Not completely exonerating Rom as there are areas to his game that I wish we/he'd improve, but without viable chances it's unlikely to score.

In the mainstay our midfield is producing tepid, stationary and predictable football which makes it difficult for Lukaku to get the chances we need.

If we actually provided him with a reasonable number of quality opportunities then I'm confident he'd score most weeks; we're unfortunately not.

That is the short and long of it, for weeks Koeman has provided him with nothing at all, hardly Roms fault, 14 games in and he still has no idea who to play with him and how to play them, poor that.

Odd reading in here, I didn't think he was that bad today.
Seemed a clear plan for him to drift over to the right near to Bolasie and we pumped a lot of long ball in that direction.
Won more than his fair share in the air and used his strength well in 50 / 50s to keep possession.
Even started pressing and getting stuck in with the rest of them when our tails were up in the last 30.
Far from vintage but not as anonymous as the posts here suggest imo.
20 % pass rate in the first half, only improved when Valencia came on. I'd love to give him a smack hasn't got the attitude or application of a top player which he thinks he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back