Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's more of the system that both players had/have. Surely if the goals were spread like the previous season to 85/86 then a couple of games where the striker doesn't score wouldn't have been an issue.
Everything was set up for Lukaku and built around him, so when he played bad or just couldn't be arsed there's nothing else as everyone is still trying crosses to him or getting the ball to his feet(shins)

Layne....the goals were spread around in the Lineker season, same as the previous season.

Sharpie scored 19, Inchy scored 10 and Trevor Steven scored 9.

And from memory every other regular outfield player chipped in with goals as well.....including Kevin Ratcliffe at Anfield :)

The situation today is very different when, as you say, we are totally one dimensional and it is all geared toward Lukaku scoring....and that is plain bonkers :mad:

Layne....the goals were spread around in the Lineker season, same as the previous season.

Sharpie scored 19, Inchy scored 10 and Trevor Steven scored 9.

And from memory every other regular outfield player chipped in with goals as well.....including Kevin Ratcliffe at Anfield :)

The situation today is very different when, as you say, we are totally one dimensional and it is all geared toward Lukaku scoring....and that is plain bonkers :mad:

Leaving Lukaku as our only scorer would not be as bad(still not ideal) if the blokes tasked with assisting him actually found him in the box occasionally. As it stands, our wingers are all woefully out of form and as a result Lukaku isn't scoring, yet he gets the blame.

put a playmaker behind him and watch the goals flow.

I wonder, is the reason why some people don't like him is due to his race?

I hope this is not the case.
Oh-no-you-didnt-GIF.gif

EDIT- Oh it's @Moomin forget it.

I agree mate and his goalscoring record is undeniably great, I just personally cant take to the guy maybe its him constantly wanting to leave and his comments while he is away on international duty, his lack of graft, touch movement, etc... We would deffo struggle to get someone with his scoring ratio but I think we could get someone with a slightly lower scoring ratio but can also add graft, assists, touch, movement, and bring midfielders and wingers into the game.
I know it sounds crazy what am saying but I actually do believe we will be better for it.

It'll take a brave man to sell him...and possibly an even braver one to buy him.
tbh, I can't see an English team making anything other than a silly Mourinho/Stones type offer.

If it does come to that, which is by no means a given, the amount of 'mark down' in fee AND wages we and he might have to 'wear' will show how much he is sought after - and what if there were no takers at 40M...how low do we go.

He may go to fund the rebuild...worrying in it's self, but only if the price is really right.

edit; unless Walsh has 'Gana' gems lined up what does 55-60M buy you today

It'll take a brave man to sell him...and possibly an even braver one to buy him.
tbh, I can't see an English team making anything other than a silly Mourinho/Stones type offer.

If it does come to that, which is by no means a given, the amount of 'mark down' in fee AND wages we and he might have to 'wear' will show how much he is sought after - and what if there were no takers at 40M...how low do we go.

He may go to fund the rebuild...worrying in it's self, but only if the price is really right.
I cant see him staying in the Prem, I think he is nailed on for someone PSG who have got money.

Problem is mate , no matter how poorly you think he plays, he also represents our only chance of winning a game we have. No rom means no win.

But considering how bad the team has been, there hasn't been much opportunities for rom to win us these games either. He isn't Messi, he can't win a game single handedly, the fact we need him to is a worrying thing indeed.
Agree mate about our chances of winning games however my problem with him is that he seems incapable of putting in a performance if we dont play well & often looks disinterested.

Appreciate we aren't playing to his strengths but he has proven in certain games in the past namely last years home derby he can cause 2 good centre halves nightmares & bully them providing he is up for it which is very rare these days.

I would hope not.

Can't help but feel these are intended to be intentionally inflammatory. Do stop.
This could be true if a certain poster/posters want Gana, Williams, Holgate, Bolasie, out the club as well.
I havent see anyone comment they want all these players out.
A very unnecessary post IMO

Agree mate about our chances of winning games however my problem with him is that he seems incapable of putting in a performance if we dont play well & often looks disinterested.

Appreciate we aren't playing to his strengths but he has proven in certain games in the past namely last years home derby he can cause 2 good centre halves nightmares & bully them providing he is up for it which is very rare these days.
Fair point.

Personally think it might be more a reflection of his feelings towards everton more than anything, if the team is bad then he knows there isn't much point in trying then as we are going to struggle anyway. Granted that is a character flaw in him and he shouldn't have that train of thought, but it makes you wnder would this 'lazy' player be the same in a team actually winning games more than once a month in a season? Might be wrong here, but like last year, we are struggling to win more than once a month again, 3 years of that, bound to have an impact?

Don't think we are doing him any favours with the amount of long balls being played up to him. we are quite predictable at the moment, centre back/keeper long ball up top. it's frustrating in that we were the polar opposite to that last season and would over play it resulting in us being slow shifting the ball up to him. need to find the balance of the two playing styles so defenders don't know whether to get tight to him or drop off for a ball in behind. Shame about bolasie getting injured but hope that will reinforce the requirement of bringing in quality players in January to help the big man up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back