Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
No big club in Europe would pay more than the 28 odd million that we paid for him judging on the last 12-18 months. Other than the Chelsea goal, he's done nothing to really note. People talk about his goals record which you can not argue with, but so many games go by where he misses sitters - notably the FA cup semi final.

Also - did he even go to the euros in the summer? All that talk of him supposedly wanting a move. He had his chance to show everyone across Europe how good he was during the summer - and he blew it.

No big club in Europe would pay more than the 28 odd million that we paid for him judging on the last 12-18 months. Other than the Chelsea goal, he's done nothing to really note. People talk about his goals record which you can not argue with, but so many games go by where he misses sitters - notably the FA cup semi final.

Also - did he even go to the euros in the summer? All that talk of him supposedly wanting a move. He had his chance to show everyone across Europe how good he was during the summer - and he blew it.
He hasn't done himself any favours over the last 12 months that's for sure, lets hope he start firing again to get his profile up again and clubs interested, because anyone watching him over the last month wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Its not like his performances have been where he is missing chances and is unlucky, he just doesn't look interested.. I could go on and on about this guy..
We are not a team who can afford to carry passenger's and we are doing that now, Rom is one of them, and for 4 out of 6 games he normally contributes ZERO!!

....if he shows no indication of signing a new contract in the summer I think he'll be the one sacrificed to boost club income under fair play rules. His goal scoring record alone should secure a big fee but his all around game is neither good enough or consistent enough to suggest he is a truly top class CF.

For our purposes, though, he'll be a big gap to fill but a busier version might actually provide us with better movement and threat. The challenge is finding such a player.

Lukaku club goals before age of 23 vs selected others
Ronaldo – 194
Raul – 145
Lionel Messi – 127
Sergio Aguero – 124
*Romelu Lukaku (with two months remaining) – 119*
Michael Owen – 111
Cristiano Ronaldo – 97
Fernando Torres – 87
Wayne Rooney – 94
Luis Suarez – 77
David Villa – 70
Zlatan Ibrahimovic – 69
Alan Shearer – 65
Thierry Henry – 57
Considering 2 of the three are best in their field players and the third was a top level player for real Madrid at that age, not too shabby statistics in all honesty

He hasn't done himself any favours over the last 12 months that's for sure, lets hope he start firing again to get his profile up again and clubs interested, because anyone watching him over the last month wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Its not like his performances have been where he is missing chances and is unlucky, he just doesn't look interested.. I could go on and on about this guy..
We are not a team who can afford to carry passenger's and we are doing that now, Rom is one of them, and for 4 out of 6 games he normally contributes ZERO!!
Problem is mate , no matter how poorly you think he plays, he also represents our only chance of winning a game we have. No rom means no win.

But considering how bad the team has been, there hasn't been much opportunities for rom to win us these games either. He isn't Messi, he can't win a game single handedly, the fact we need him to is a worrying thing indeed.

Problem is mate , no matter how poorly you think he plays, he also represents our only chance of winning a game we have. No rom means no win.

But considering how bad the team has been, there hasn't been much opportunities for rom to win us these games either. He isn't Messi, he can't win a game single handedly, the fact we need him to is a worrying thing indeed.
I agree mate and his goalscoring record is undeniably great, I just personally cant take to the guy maybe its him constantly wanting to leave and his comments while he is away on international duty, his lack of graft, touch movement, etc... We would deffo struggle to get someone with his scoring ratio but I think we could get someone with a slightly lower scoring ratio but can also add graft, assists, touch, movement, and bring midfielders and wingers into the game.
I know it sounds crazy what am saying but I actually do believe we will be better for it.

I agree mate and his goalscoring record is undeniably great, I just personally cant take to the guy maybe its him constantly wanting to leave and his comments while he is away on international duty, his lack of graft, touch movement, etc... We would deffo struggle to get someone with his scoring ratio but I think we could get someone with a slightly lower scoring ratio but can also add graft, assists, touch, movement, and bring midfielders and wingers into the game.
I know it sounds crazy what am saying but I actually do believe we will be better for it.

Agree. His goals are obviously welcomed but I believe they come at a price of fewer goals elsewhere among the team. We play as if he is the only one allowed or capable of scoring. Makes us very easy to play against.

So are people actually saying other clubs won't pay a premium for a 23yr old prolific goal scorer? Because 20+ a season strikers are readily available everywhere for cheap. But ok, he is isolated and that's his fault.

Koeman - "what's your best attribute Romelu"
Lukaku - "I score goals, that's my best attribute, especially when I'm running at defenders"
Koeman - "But ok, I want to see you running the channels and dropping into midfield, bringing others into play, you are now a target man"
Lukaku - "Riola, give PSG a call"

Look at you all, trying to convince yourselves that Romelu F'N Lukaku isn't any good so you can all feel better when he inevitably leaves us in the summer, because we're currently cack with no signs of being in the Top 4 anytime soon and he's a CL calibre player, and CL calibre players want to play in the CL

This is why we can't have nice things

The Champions League argument annoys me, because what's the point in playing in it, if you can't win it? For the six games or so, before having to qualify for it and do the same thing all again. Unless he's good enough for one of the best teams in the world?

When he's in the mood he is one of the best strikers in Europe - Koeman and his team should be trying to find out how to get that out of him every game because when he isn't in the mood he goes missing. There's no in-between, he's either a 10/10 or a 3/10 performer. If we can't build our attack around him and play to his strengths there really is no point in having a player like him.

Reactions: JLW
When he's in the mood he is one of the best strikers in Europe - Koeman and his team should be trying to find out how to get that out of him every game because when he isn't in the mood he goes missing. There's no in-between, he's either a 10/10 or a 3/10 performer. If we can't build our attack around him and play to his strengths there really is no point in having a player like him.
Nailed it!! I would rather have a constant 7/10 performer.
It seems Koeman likes a back to goal striker (judging by our style of play) if that's the case then Roms not your man. and you will get more 3/10 performances
If he likes Strikers running at defenders then he needs to change the system and style soon and he will get the best out of Rom. and get his 9/10 performances. Either way this will be Roms last season in a blue shirt.

The theory behind it yes, we can improve without him, but i believe it would take signing 3 players to replace the one striker to see that. That is the concern i have over it, i back rom to the hills, think he will be world class one day and until the lad retires we won't know if that is true or not. But more specificially i am concerned that the club don't see the need to replace him with so many players. Not only sign a striker but two mobile creative players as well to really bring the attack into a new focus, kinda like them lot have now. I don't believe the players we have here would get anywhere without Rom, but to improve as you say, it is going to take rebuilding an entire attack rather than hope Kev/aaron/del/yanick can just pick the mantle up as we have done for many years now.

Reactions: JLW
The theory behind it yes, we can improve without him, but i believe it would take signing 3 players to replace the one striker to see that. That is the concern i have over it, i back rom to the hills, think he will be world class one day and until the lad retires we won't know if that is true or not. But more specificially i am concerned that the club don't see the need to replace him with so many players. Not only sign a striker but two mobile creative players as well to really bring the attack into a new focus, kinda like them lot have now. I don't believe the players we have here would get anywhere without Rom, but to improve as you say, it is going to take rebuilding an entire attack rather than hope Kev/aaron/del/yanick can just pick the mantle up as we have done for many years now.
Your right mate, I don't believe one replacement will solve the issue regarding Lukaku it will take a couple of good signings. I would rather have our front 3-4 players chipping in with 8-10 goals a season rather than have 20-25 goal a season striker and everyone else around him getting 2-3 goals. A dip in form or a bad injury to the striker then your in the pooh.
I hope Roms finds his form soon because right now we a reliant on him and need him back on form, but I just cant see it happening at the minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back