Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mandzukic is a target man. His role was to be a foil for Robben and Ribery - something that Lukaku doesn't like doing.

I don't see where our special snowflake fits in at the level he aspires to. Too clumsy with his feet, and lacking the desire to work for others.
Lukaku club goals before age of 23 vs selected others
Ronaldo – 194
Raul – 145
Lionel Messi – 127
Sergio Aguero – 124
*Romelu Lukaku (with two months remaining) – 119*
Michael Owen – 111
Cristiano Ronaldo – 97
Fernando Torres – 87
Wayne Rooney – 94
Luis Suarez – 77
David Villa – 70
Zlatan Ibrahimovic – 69
Alan Shearer – 65
Thierry Henry – 57

Ronaldo – 194
Raul – 145
Lionel Messi – 127
Sergio Aguero – 124
Michael Owen – 111
Cristiano Ronaldo – 97
Fernando Torres – 87
Wayne Rooney – 94
Luis Suarez – 77
David Villa – 70
Zlatan Ibrahimovic – 69
Alan Shearer – 65
Thierry Henry – 57

LOL

Ronaldo – 194
Raul – 145
Lionel Messi – 127
Sergio Aguero – 124
Michael Owen – 111
Cristiano Ronaldo – 97
Fernando Torres – 87
Wayne Rooney – 94
Luis Suarez – 77
David Villa – 70
Zlatan Ibrahimovic – 69
Alan Shearer – 65
Thierry Henry – 57
Not many have the advantage of being a fully developed man at 16, and the three below would have likely tore up the Belgian league themselves.

Not that I want to take away from his goal record. It's good.

:lol: at Ronaldo. Jesus Christ.

I don't think that his work rate is the key issue. His lack of technique would see him slaughtered at a top club; especially Bayern, where the directors are ruthless.

Suarez was getting slated in his first couple of months at Barca and technically he's a million miles ahead if Lukaku. Imagine the 3rd time Messi or Iniesta have fired a sharp pass into him and it just bounces back off him - he would be lynched.

His workrate is a big issue for me, again look at all the top clubs, they all play the pressing game and he cant do it. It baffles me where people think he will fit in at one of them

His ability to score isnt in question, its everything else.

He's not built to press or run any more than he does (apparently)
He cant head a ball
His first touch is shocking
His passing isnt much better
He cant create his own chances

These days its not enough to be just a goalscorer, especially at a top team. The elite players need to have more in their locker and he hasnt. Thats not to say he never will but he doesnt seem to have progressed that much.

Lukaku guarantees a good goal return over a season but not much else. His goal scoring form comes in fits and starts and when he's out of form he can be awful. He's still probably the best striker we could get and the best we will have for a while though. I doubt he'll make it to a proper top club like Barca or Madrid but I could see someone like United wanting him.

I like the lineker comparisons. Changed a team's style to accommodate a goal scorer.
Who won something that year?
Lineker, the golden boot and a move to Barca.

Please don't go there, Layne.....I cannot be arsed debunking the old "we won nowt with Lineker" chestnut again :(

Suffice it to say that the fact that Gary Lineker scored 40 goals in all competitions did not remotely contribute to us finishing empty handed that season.

In fact, if he had only scored one more, at either Luton or Oxford because he had forgotten his boots and missed a sitter then we would have been Champions :pint2:

And anyway.....Lukaku should not be mentioned in the same breath as Lineker ;)

Please don't go there, Layne.....I cannot be arsed debunking the old "we won nowt with Lineker" chestnut again :(

Suffice it to say that the fact that Gary Lineker scored 40 goals in all competitions did not remotely contribute to us finishing empty handed that season.

In fact, if he had only scored one more, at either Luton or Oxford because he had forgotten his boots and missed a sitter then we would have been Champions :pint2:

And anyway.....Lukaku should not be mentioned in the same breath as Lineker ;)
It's more of the system that both players had/have. Surely if the goals were spread like the previous season to 85/86 then a couple of games where the striker doesn't score wouldn't have been an issue.
Everything was set up for Lukaku and built around him, so when he played bad or just couldn't be arsed there's nothing else as everyone is still trying crosses to him or getting the ball to his feet(shins)

He the worst player I've seen at holding the ball up. This makes it so much harder for the midfielders and Barkley especially as he can't really play quick passing with lukaku. Another issue is he doesn't make intelligent runs through the defence, he quite static this season, not sure if this is Koeman instruction but he mainly standing in front of the defender most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back