Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of a side issue to this thread but I would like to have your opinions. Lukaku was included in Garth Crook's team of the week, in his blurb he preferred to reaching 50 goals while still under 23. He then goes on to suggest that Lukaku is not in the same class as those others who have achieved this feat.
He then states that scoring goals alone is not the measure of a truly great player, that is measured by the number of trophies you win.
He seems to be suggesting that if you stick to playing with a club that may not win things then no matter how good you are you can't be a great player.
Now to take this to it's logical conclusion David Mayes is a better player than Leighton Baines as he has a European Cup medal. Johnny Evans would be better than John Stones.
Ben Watson would be better than Ross Barkley as he has a League Cup medal.
Surely that logic is flawed.

A bit of a side issue to this thread but I would like to have your opinions. Lukaku was included in Garth Crook's team of the week, in his blurb he preferred to reaching 50 goals while still under 23. He then goes on to suggest that Lukaku is not in the same class as those others who have achieved this feat.
He then states that scoring goals alone is not the measure of a truly great player, that is measured by the number of trophies you win.
He seems to be suggesting that if you stick to playing with a club that may not win things then no matter how good you are you can't be a great player.
Now to take this to it's logical conclusion David Mayes is a better player than Leighton Baines as he has a European Cup medal. Johnny Evans would be better than John Stones.
Ben Watson would be better than Ross Barkley as he has a League Cup medal.
Surely that logic is flawed.

I just think he means he wouldn't be viewed as a great player until he achieves success with silverware.

I just think he means he wouldn't be viewed as a great player until he achieves success with silverware.

I know what he means and generally really good players do move to great teams but I don't believe it is a prerequisite for being a great player. John Stones will not be any the less player if he stays at Everton and turns his back on Chelsea.

I know what he means and generally really good players do move to great teams but I don't believe it is a prerequisite for being a great player. John Stones will not be any the less player if he stays at Everton and turns his back on Chelsea.

I understand what you are getting at, but at the end of the day, if a player is not playing CL football and winning things, they will never be viewed as 'great'.

Had Baines gone to United he would have been viewed as the best LB in the league hands down IMO. I don't think he's ever held that stature here.

I understand what you are getting at, but at the end of the day, if a player is not playing CL football and winning things, they will never be viewed as 'great'.

Had Baines gone to United he would have been viewed as the best LB in the league hands down IMO. I don't think he's ever held that stature here.

You cannot be perceived to be a great player unless you win trophies.

I think there is truth in that statement. Or at least competing for them...at the highest level ie Champions League.

At least in today's world.

I don't agree with that at all.

It might be true in terms of how people view players these days but it shouldn't do.

A good player is a good player and should be judged on their ability, and there are numerous other factors that take into account why they wouldn't have won something or played at a higher level than they do other than their ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back