Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with that at all.

It might be true in terms of how people view players these days but it shouldn't do.

A good player is a good player and should be judged on their ability, and there are numerous other factors that take into account why they wouldn't have won something or played at a higher level than they do other than their ability.

I'm not saying it's right...but I do believe it to be somewhat factual. Duncan Ferguson will always be held in higher regard than say Tim Cahill.

I'm not saying it's right...but I do believe it to be somewhat factual. Duncan Ferguson will always be held in higher regard than say Tim Cahill.

In terms of the overall package, maybe.

But in terms of who was the better player, the fact Ferguson won an FA cup here and Cahill doesn't has no bearing whatsoever.

He might be more popular, he might be more fondly remembered, but it doesn't mean he was a better player than Cahill just because he won a trophy.

In terms of the overall package, maybe.

But in terms of who was the better player, the fact Ferguson won an FA cup here and Cahill doesn't has no bearing whatsoever.

He might be more popular, he might be more fondly remembered, but it doesn't mean he was a better player than Cahill just because he won a trophy.

Most would view Ferguson as a club legend. Some will view Tim that way...but largely just viewed as a step below legend status.

There's a big difference between who the fans think are great players and who the media does. One of the best examples in recent decades was Le Tissier. Most who saw him live or watched his performances on TV would call him a great. The media thought highly of him too but because Soton won nothing and because he won few international caps they never regarded him as a true great.

Matt Le Tissier is a good example of a great player. He is much better than many players who have won trophies.

Are Messi and Ronaldo lesser players because they have never won the won cup, would George Best have been better if he had not have been born in Northern Ireland and played for a Country that qualified for a World Cup Finals.

I understand what you are getting at, but at the end of the day, if a player is not playing CL football and winning things, they will never be viewed as 'great'.

Had Baines gone to United he would have been viewed as the best LB in the league hands down IMO. I don't think he's ever held that stature here.

it's a team sport though. you can't base a player's greatness on honours alone in my opinion. look at how many trophies someone like phill neville won - yet people have him in a worst england XI and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back