Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see him signing a new contract.

Are you sure??

Screenshot_20170223-144148.webp

Diego Costa has 158 career club goals, compared to Lukaku's 136.

Costa probably has the edge as a player at the moment but the fact that there's not much between them whilst Costa is in his prime and Lukaku is 5/6 years younger, says a lot.

In fact, all those you mentioned have been in their prime years and Lukaku hasn't been far off them at all. If he keeps progressing the way he is, he will certainly get to that same level and probably outscore the lot of them.

when you say prime do you base that on just age? Or footballing years?

Now i am not trying to poo poo Lukaku's achievements because they are fantastic, but he made his full first team debut in 2009 as a 16 year old, he has been playing professional football for 8 years!

I believe footballers probably have a shelf life of say 10-14 years of being right at the top before your body starts to wear down and decline.

The average professional footballer will make there debut at 19-20, so with my theory will be burned out by 33-34.

Some players that start younger at 16-17 (Rooney, Owen, Torres, big ronaldo etc) have all looked pretty much done by the time they hit 30 as there footballing body has hit that 13-14 year mark!

Obviously there are exceptions to the rules such as giggs and possibly cristiano ronaldo but if you have a look at it, it seems to be the case.

On the other end of the scale look at players such as Distin & Drogba, they didnt start profesional football until they were 22-23 and carried on much longer than other players as there "footballing clock" started later than other players.

I wouldnt be suprised if Lukaku looked done in by the time he was 30 (which i know is still 7 years away) but the point i think i was trying to make is, in football years, lukaku is probably about 26-27

Now i am not trying to poo poo Lukaku's achievements because they are fantastic, but he made his full first team debut in 2009 as a 16 year old, he has been playing professional football for 8 years!

I believe footballers probably have a shelf life of say 10-14 years of being right at the top before your body starts to wear down and decline.

The average professional footballer will make there debut at 19-20, so with my theory will be burned out by 33-34.

Some players that start younger at 16-17 (Rooney, Owen, Torres, big ronaldo etc) have all looked pretty much done by the time they hit 30 as there footballing body has hit that 13-14 year mark!

Obviously there are exceptions to the rules such as giggs and possibly cristiano ronaldo but if you have a look at it, it seems to be the case.

On the other end of the scale look at players such as Distin & Drogba, they didnt start profesional football until they were 22-23 and carried on much longer than other players as there "footballing clock" started later than other players.

I wouldnt be suprised if Lukaku looked done in by the time he was 30 (which i know is still 7 years away) but the point i think i was trying to make is, in football years, lukaku is probably about 26-27

I didn't say when Lukaku would hit his prime, just that he hasn't done yet. The likes of Costa and Aguero are in their prime right now, and Rom isn't far below them in my opinion.

I was replying to the poster saying he doesn't think Rom can reach their level, because in my opinion there is every indication so far that he can and will.

Not sure if anyone has posted this already but it's great. Really gives a good insight in to the guy's determination, belief and above all (some may be shocked) hard working nature.

I think Lukaku will be one of those exceptions to the rule. He takes such good care of himself and has the mindset and willpower to be one of those "centurions" of football that last for 15+ years. Hasn't had a major injury as of yet as well.

Phillips, Defoe, Bent and Yakubu are recent examples.

Ferguson got shut of van Nistelrooy because the game changed with Mourinho/Drogba. He later did the same with Hernandez, despite him having the best conversation rate in Premier League history. Similar cases are Fowler and Owen after injuries limited their mobility, and we're seeing the same thing happen to Sturridge now.

I'm sure a big name would take a punt on Lukaku if he ran his contract down, but I'll be shocked if anyone decides to pay the type of fee that Everton are allegedly hoping to write into his new contract.
Don't agree on van Nistlerooy. He had a big ego, and Beckham used to provide all his goals. Fergie fell out with Beckham and van Nistlerooy, nothing to do with playing style.

However I agree with your examples of "pure" goalscorers. It's the 1 reason we've been able to keep Lukaku, as the top, top teams need more than a goalscorer these days. Aguero might get sacked ffs and he is the best around.

Don't agree on van Nistlerooy. He had a big ego, and Beckham used to provide all his goals. Fergie fell out with Beckham and van Nistlerooy, nothing to do with playing style.

However I agree with your examples of "pure" goalscorers. It's the 1 reason we've been able to keep Lukaku, as the top, top teams need more than a goalscorer these days. Aguero might get sacked ffs and he is the best around.
I think there were three or four years between Beckham and van Nistelrooy's departures. I do remember there being an ego clash with Ronaldo around the time he was dropped, though.

I don't blame Lukaku for wanting to move on, but I do believe that he'd find life difficult at a club where the players are placed under a higher level of scrutiny.

Personally think he will sign the contract, not particularly worried what the media is saying either... just have a gut feeling we've got him for another year at least.

I know this opinion might be bias due to being a blue, but if you were him, so close to many records etc - would you not want to just smash them here and leave that mark?

He's totally boss is are Lu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back