Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well alright, i'm an optimist.
I guess we need to get to the CL first and showcase Stones, Del and Rom on the highest stage.

But it's not like that cannot happen! Eh? Eh?

Rom will never be worth £80m plus. He's playing exceptionally well and he's a top player, but the clubs that pay those sort of fees will not be looking at him for that sort of outlay, especially from a club our size.

I think he'll "only" be worth a maximum of £60m, best case scenario.

He'll be gone by next summer if we don't get Europe this season, a player of his quality will not stay at a club who can't even make the Europa league

Rom will never be worth £80m plus. He's playing exceptionally well and he's a top player, but the clubs that pay those sort of fees will not be looking at him for that sort of outlay, especially from a club our size.

I think he'll "only" be worth a maximum of £60m, best case scenario.

think is mate who knows, never thought bale would go for what he did, or sterling or de bruyne either, transfer fees are mental, david luis 50m for example...

Excellent article about the relationship between Lukaku and Drogba by Andy Hunter, recommend the whole piece.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/dec/08/everton-romelu-lukaku-didier-drogba

“I still speak to Drogba. Me and him we have a really special relationship since day one,” said Lukaku after Monday’s 1-1 draw. “When I arrived at Chelsea they put me next to him in the dressing room so that is when it started and I saw what a top professional he was – not just him but John Terry, Frank Lampard, Nicolas Anelka, Fernando Torres. As an 18-year-old I was watching what they were doing and soaking it up, and it was a good year of preparation. At the time I was frustrated because I was 17 and playing a lot in Belgium and I had a great reputation there but looking back I think it helped me to be the player I am today.”

Lukaku never played alongside Drogba in a competitive game or scored for Chelsea during a Stamford Bridge career of officially three years but in reality, 15 appearances and two season-long loan moves. It was the striker’s decision to leave in 2014having become disillusioned with the lack of opportunity at Chelsea, although Mourinho may well lament that Drogba has offered more guidance to Lukaku than the club that introduced him to the Premier League.

Last season, with Chelsea sweeping to the title and Lukaku struggling to justify his £28m transfer fee in a struggling Everton side, the champions were lauded for the return on their investment. Today it is not Chelsea’s predicament that exacerbates the sense of loss around Lukaku but the player’s form at a club that develops young talent in a way Stamford Bridge and Mourinho do not. In Martínez’s words, the Belgium international relishes “the big responsibility” he has at Everton. It is another trait learned from Drogba.

Asked what was the most important lesson he took from the current Montreal Impact striker, Lukaku replied: “The determination to win. He was a leader. When the team needed him the most he always delivered so that is what I aim for and hopefully one day I can say I was that type of player. I text him, I phone him whenever I need him. I just call him and say: ‘I did this today, this is going through my mind, how should I do this?’ He knows what to say and what not to say and that’s what I like about him.”

Last edited:
think if we win a cup and make Europa he'll stay another year

Agree, I have a feeling that if we keep everyone together, make another big-name signing and discover a bit of consistency then 16/17 is going to be one of our best seasons in a very, very long time. Part of the reason all the big clubs like Man City and PSG have been so successful is that most of the players have spent numerous seasons together. Even now you can see that the difference between 13/14 and 15/16 is night and day, plus we had aside from Clevs and RFM the exact same squad as we have today.

I'll fume if we don't win something this season. The league cup is gonna be the real test for the squad to see where we're at, and we should try and wade deep into the FA Cup too. If we turn all these draws into wins we will be a top 4 side. Only 3 losses this season to only the top teams is really quite remarkable, but all these disappointing draws need to become wins.

He's gone for me if he continues this form. Belongs at a regular Champions League club. Absolute gun. Minimum £50m though or no sale.
The thing that gives me hope is we will want 50-60m and there's not many clubs out there that can afford that. Juve cant. Bayern have lewandowksi, city have ageuro, he won't go back to chelsea, real have benzema, barca have suarez. Can't see Wolfsburg spending 50m. Only club that concerns me is psg if Ibra leaves as they'll have the need, finances, and CL

The thing that gives me hope is we will want 50-60m and there's not many clubs out there that can afford that. Juve cant. Bayern have lewandowksi, city have ageuro, he won't go back to chelsea, real have benzema, barca have suarez. Can't see Wolfsburg spending 50m. Only club that concerns me is psg if Ibra leaves as they'll have the need, finances, and CL
He bangs in 20+ in the League this year and all those clubs you mention will want him. Why not go back to Chelski? The position there is waiting for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back