Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get your argument here mate. Had Pabbers said step it up, as if he hadn't been doing it already this season, I could understand you taking him to task. But his second post clearly indicates that is not the case. He is saying that Rom needs to do it again during the next 2 games, and, let's face it, he does.

Rom has made a point of expressing his desire to play champions league football, and has indicated that he would like to do this with us if possible. He's also suggested that the clock is ticking in this regard. We still have an outside chance of getting top 4 this season but we need positive results over the next 2 games to keep that dream, his dream, alive. If Rom doesn't perform then we won't win either game imo.

The other reason he needs to turn up is he is going to be in the shop window for his potential suitors. These are the sort of games they will want to see him affecting positively, winning them for his team. He has a reputation amongst some elements of the press, wrongly in my opinion, of not showing up for he so called big games. It's in his and our interests to dispel these doubts. If he doesn't, those doubts remain.

So I would agree with Pabbers, Rom does need to step up the next 2 games if he wants to fulfil his ambition of playing Champions league football next season.

As does the rest of the team. How often have we seen us fold on such occasions? If we perform as a collective, then Rom will have more chance of strutting his stuff.

Personally I think that Eggs is the guy to trust with anything financially-related too mate. He knows his stuff and clearly has business links with somebody 'close' to the club and/or Moshiri.

Transfers yes, I believe he gets info in good faith but that is sometimes either skewed or a bit of guesswork. That being said, he knew Snides was done a bit before so who knows.

We did offer big bucks for Koulibaly mind - Napoli didn't accept.

Yeah I don't doubt at all that he's got good connections, just that he seems to jump the gun a bit when its positive news.

I'd agree with your first hunch mate if not for the fact it doesn't serve Raiola anything to delay this.

He doesn't stand to make 'that' much more money.

Rom was the one who elected not to sign.
I don't trust Raiola full stop mate. I get that he has a job to do for his clients but I reckon he'll stoop to any underhand methods to get his result.

But as I say, this different version to events (to the one I had clear in my own mind) just confuses me more.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with these people. I'd end up paranoid.

As does the rest of the team. How often have we seen us fold on such occasions? If we perform as a collective, then Rom will have more chance of strutting his stuff.
Very true mate. But Rom, and arguably Ross, are the ones that are most likely to win it for us.

It's obvious he's off in the summer. £75 million which will be used to reinvest in the squad.

Come the summer we will have:

Coleman Injured
Bolasie Injured
Jagielka Sold
Deulofeu Sold
Niasse Sold
Cleverly Sold
Lukaku?
Barkley?

considering we will most likely have EL next season this summer is going to require a massive rebuild. We imo need a good 7-8 coming in.

If we lose say 20mil of his value by keeping him here next year without him signing a new contract is it worth it?? (because he will only have 1 year left)
I think the club will/should tell him that if he signs a new contract or not he will be here next season therefore its in his and the clubs interest to get the contract signed as both party's will lose money if he doesn't.

If we lose say 20mil of his value by keeping him here next year without him signing a new contract is it worth it?? (because he will only have 1 year left)
I think the club will/should tell him that if he signs a new contract or not he will be here next season therefore its in his and the clubs interest to get the contract signed as both party's will lose money if he doesn't.
I think of it this way, if he wasn't our player and next season we were going to make a big push to break into the top four permanently I'd pay 20m to bring him in on loan yeah

Its the clever play really and its good leverage to get him to sign it. If hes going to stay the year anyway he may as well sign a new agreement, get more a week and back himslef to be worth 80mill.

Its what i think will happen to be honest, i think this is all media hype and agnet games.

Reactions: JLW
Its the clever play really and its good leverage to get him to sign it. If hes going to stay the year anyway he may as well sign a new agreement, get more a week and back himslef to be worth 80mill.

Its what i think will happen to be honest, i think this is all media hype and agnet games.
I think its the only way! The beauty is he has 2 years and not 1 so the power is with the club IMO

The important thing is we keep him for next year to break into the top 4 (we will not do it without him because no way we get a replacement who scores as many goals)- if we do that he will likely stay for CL football. If we don't and he loses value, so what? We have a rich owner now so 20-40 m shouldn't be that big a price to pay to try for a top 4 place.

Reactions: JLW

I can't but help feel that the contract was agreed even down to the buy out clause be that in the contract or indeed a seperate document.The events elsewhere changed things.
First we find out that Costa is wanted elsewhere and whilst it hasn't been confirmed publically there is a constant theme in the press that Costa isn't going to be in London next season.
As I have said before football is a very small community and whilst we ,the public , aren't going to hear what other players are telling their mates at other clubs or what the agents are already working on
No back to the contract.
It supposedly had been agreed yet we were fed the line in certain outlets that the stumbling block wasn't the wage but the buyout clause. It seems the player wants it set at £60 million and the club at circa£90 million.Thats where things just don't stack up for that fee would surely have been agreed very early in the process so perhaps it was but that figure was sudd,eye elevated based on what is going on elsewhere.
I love a good conspiracy

They may have already tried that I imagine mate.

The only way we'll get that sort of amount paid for him with 1 year left on his contract is if there were a number of suitors who have to outbid each other. You never know though. If he has another great season next year that may happen.

The important thing is we keep him for next year to break into the top 4 (we will not do it without him because no way we get a replacement who scores as many goals)- if we do that he will likely stay for CL football. If we don't and he loses value, so what? We have a rich owner now so 20-40 m shouldn't be that big a price to pay to try for a top 4 place.
Even with 1 year left on his contract we would still double our money on him.
Its simple you're under contract and you WILL be playing for Everton next season!! End of story
Sulk about it and it wont look good for any potential buyers in a years time..

Very true mate. But Rom, and arguably Ross, are the ones that are most likely to win it for us.
I think Mirallas/Valencia will also need to have a big say, in support of the big man. Burnley had a lot of success (unfortunate to lose 2-1) with two up top, Gray and Barnes, the latter playing a slightly withdrawn role. Gray ran them ragged down the flanks with Barnes making late surges into the box. We can do something similar with a quick, counter-attacking game.

I think Mirallas/Valencia will also need to have a big say, in support of the big man. Burnley had a lot of success (unfortunate to lose 2-1) with two up top, Gray and Barnes, the latter playing a slightly withdrawn role. Gray ran them ragged down the flanks with Barnes making late surges into the box. We can do something similar with a quick, counter-attacking game.
Against Liverpool, assuming Schneids and McCarthy aren't fit, I'd play 3 at the back with a middle 4 of WBs Gana and Davies. In front of them I'd have Mirallas, Barks and Rom. Keep it tight and frustrate them for the first 70 or so, with Kev/Ross supporting Rom on the break. Then for the last 20 bring Valencia on to play alongside Rom in a sort of 3412 formation, and really go for it as they tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back