Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club did, more than likely in conjunction with Raiola, yes.

I wasn't there, but an educated guess at how these things usually play out indicates that it wasn't just the player. And everything from the club (and the player) released since suggests that the work is ongoing.

Personally, if he signs, I don't think it'll be until the summer at the earliest, as he seems to want assurances and then evidence that we're going to make some serious improvements.
You work in the media don't you mate?

What's your take on this?

Obviously well co-ordinated news coming out at exactly 5pm by all the main newspapers and news agencies. Same wording used by everyone. Rom held meetings with club management after training that afternoon when he said he's not signing the contract that had been offered. Who was behind this news "leak"? How is it normally done?

Followed up the following day by Rom's carefully co-ordinated statement. Again, released by all media, on this occasion at the 11pm watershed time. But we'd all been pre-warned to expect this statement. Who controlled this and what involvement would the club have had?

True mate, but he does need to keep doing it, and these 2 massive games that could push us to his dream...perfect for him to showcase what he beleives.

More will watch this game than all of our other games......if he has a crap game or 2....
We're in a catch 22 situation here mate. We all want him, in fact need him, to step up during these next 2 games. However, they are also the games that his potential suitors will be most interested in. They'll want to see whether he can do it in the "big" games too and, if he can, it will only confirm their interest in him.

I'd still love him to score a hat trick at the pit like;)

We're in a catch 22 situation here mate. We all want him, in fact need him, to step up during these next 2 games. However, they are also the games that his potential suitors will be most interested in. They'll want to see whether he can do it in the "big" games too and, if he can, it will only confirm their interest in him.

I'd still love him to score a hat trick at the pit like;)

Unfortunatly, thats just the way it is.

If he plays well and drags us closer to 4th then great, IF that means some the games giants come for him....well thats just natural progression really.

True mate, but he does need to keep doing it, and these 2 massive games that could push us to his dream...perfect for him to showcase what he beleives.

More will watch this game than all of our other games......if he has a crap game or 2....

It doesn't change the fact that he's been superb all season though.

But yes, he needs to show his worth in these games!

You work in the media don't you mate?

What's your take on this?

Obviously well co-ordinated news coming out at exactly 5pm by all the main newspapers and news agencies. Same wording used by everyone. Rom held meetings with club management after training that afternoon when he said he's not signing the contract that had been offered. Who was behind this news "leak"? How is it normally done?

Followed up the following day by Rom's carefully co-ordinated statement. Again, released by all media, on this occasion at the 11pm watershed time. But we'd all been pre-warned to expect this statement. Who controlled this and what involvement would the club have had?

I do mate yep.

Basically, the news of Lukaku not signing his deal was embargoed (with an agreement between all the media present and the club) until 5pm on the day it happened (I believe it was the Tuesday or Wednesday before the Hull game was it not?). The 'leak' was probably due to the fact that certain sources in the media who the club regularly co-ordinate with (Hunter, Joyce etc) were present for the supposed and expected signing of Rom's deal - which didn't take place.

Anyway, Lukaku was down for a pre-planned publicity thing with kick-it-out the day after. The Echo journos and other 'main' journos who cover Everton were there. Those quotes were embargoed until 10.30pm that evening as they were going in the papers the next day. That's when Rom outlined he wanted the club to have ambition etc. A lot of it was spun like he wouldn't be signing which, at the time of writing those articles (given the news of the day before) seemed likely. However, when the quotes actually came out most Evertonians who don't have a media-bias and actually fully understand the scope of it probably agreed with Rom.

As for the club's involvement - they'll have been fully in the loop throughout. They can't stop how the media chose to spin the story (unless Malcolm Tucker starts working at FF) but they will have set the embargo etc.

Now, the only official line from the club is that Rom has been offered a new deal and negotiations are still taking place. None of which Rom has contradicted.

So, it's a waiting game.

My hunch is that he won't sign until the summer at the earliest, and only if he sees we're making viable progress.

I could be completely wrong on that but it's my gut feeling.

WRD also said that there'd be no announcement from the club re. BMD on Thursday.

Esk said there would be...

So we'll see.

Both definitely get bits of info and it's brilliant that they pass it on. Up to the other fans whether they choose to believe it as gospel or just do the sensible thing and understand things can change and it doesn't necessarily mean they are lying if something doesn't work out how they said it might/would.

Esk seems to know what he's talking about with the financial affairs, but seems a bit overromantic about Everton when it comes to transfer rumours.

"Lukaku is signing, he has been sold the EFC vision by Moshiri!" , "Witsel is ours!" , "When Koulibaly meets with Everton it will blow Chelsea out the water!" etc. - A bit Kenwrighty, if you will.

It doesn't change the fact that he's been superb all season though.

But yes, he needs to show his worth in these games!
I don't get your argument here mate. Had Pabbers said step it up, as if he hadn't been doing it already this season, I could understand you taking him to task. But his second post clearly indicates that is not the case. He is saying that Rom needs to do it again during the next 2 games, and, let's face it, he does.

Rom has made a point of expressing his desire to play champions league football, and has indicated that he would like to do this with us if possible. He's also suggested that the clock is ticking in this regard. We still have an outside chance of getting top 4 this season but we need positive results over the next 2 games to keep that dream, his dream, alive. If Rom doesn't perform then we won't win either game imo.

The other reason he needs to turn up is he is going to be in the shop window for his potential suitors. These are the sort of games they will want to see him affecting positively, winning them for his team. He has a reputation amongst some elements of the press, wrongly in my opinion, of not showing up for he so called big games. It's in his and our interests to dispel these doubts. If he doesn't, those doubts remain.

So I would agree with Pabbers, Rom does need to step up the next 2 games if he wants to fulfil his ambition of playing Champions league football next season.

If this is his last derby then he really needs to step up and dominate their defence at Anfield, prove that he is truly a big game player.

I do mate yep.

Basically, the news of Lukaku not signing his deal was embargoed (with an agreement between all the media present and the club) until 5pm on the day it happened (I believe it was the Tuesday or Wednesday before the Hull game was it not?). The 'leak' was probably due to the fact that certain sources in the media who the club regularly co-ordinate with (Hunter, Joyce etc) were present for the supposed and expected signing of Rom's deal - which didn't take place.

Anyway, Lukaku was down for a pre-planned publicity thing with kick-it-out the day after. The Echo journos and other 'main' journos who cover Everton were there. Those quotes were embargoed until 10.30pm that evening as they were going in the papers the next day. That's when Rom outlined he wanted the club to have ambition etc. A lot of it was spun like he wouldn't be signing which, at the time of writing those articles (given the news of the day before) seemed likely. However, when the quotes actually came out most Evertonians who don't have a media-bias and actually fully understand the scope of it probably agreed with Rom.

As for the club's involvement - they'll have been fully in the loop throughout. They can't stop how the media chose to spin the story (unless Malcolm Tucker starts working at FF) but they will have set the embargo etc.

Now, the only official line from the club is that Rom has been offered a new deal and negotiations are still taking place. None of which Rom has contradicted.

So, it's a waiting game.

My hunch is that he won't sign until the summer at the earliest, and only if he sees we're making viable progress.

I could be completely wrong on that but it's my gut feeling.

Cheers for that mate.

I had a completely different take on it. I saw the whole thing as a premeditated media ploy by Rom/agent to manipulate a new contract on their terms. Which I wouldn't blame them for incidentally, other than what I saw as playing with the fans emotions with all this 99.99% stuff.

I can see the other side too now. Just get's me more confused if I'm honest.

I agree with you though re Rom signing the contract. What could have changed between 2 weeks ago and now to make him change his mind, other than a release clause which weakens the clubs position. I so hope they don't do this.

I think I'm resigned to the fact he will leave us this summer. Assurances mean nothing really. Chelsea are about to win the league, have the power of mula and are still probably going to lose Hazard and Costa. The RS lost Suarez. Arsenal are about to lose Ozil and Sanchez. Ok yes, Lukaku could be a legend here but I don't think he really cares, and why should he? Someone offers me a good contract in a more desirable location, I'm off. He could be playing somewhere that doesn't have awful winters and amazing summers. Just my opinion, but I don't think it's all about the contract or assurances of ambition. Simply put, there's always better places to live.

Esk seems to know what he's talking about with the financial affairs, but seems a bit overromantic about Everton when it comes to transfer rumours.

"Lukaku is signing, he has been sold the EFC vision by Moshiri!" , "Witsel is ours!" , "When Koulibaly meets with Everton it will blow Chelsea out the water!" etc. - A bit Kenwrighty, if you will.

Personally I think that Eggs is the guy to trust with anything financially-related too mate. He knows his stuff and clearly has business links with somebody 'close' to the club and/or Moshiri.

Transfers yes, I believe he gets info in good faith but that is sometimes either skewed or a bit of guesswork. That being said, he knew Snides was done a bit before so who knows.

We did offer big bucks for Koulibaly mind - Napoli didn't accept.

Cheers for that mate.

I had a completely different take on it. I saw the whole thing as a premeditated media ploy by Rom/agent to manipulate a new contract on their terms. Which I wouldn't blame them for incidentally, other than what I saw as playing with the fans emotions with all this 99.99% stuff.

I can see the other side too now. Just get's me more confused if I'm honest.

I agree with you though re Rom signing the contract. What could have changed between 2 weeks ago and now to make him change his mind, other than a release clause which weakens the clubs position. I so hope they don't do this.

I'd agree with your first hunch mate if not for the fact it doesn't serve Raiola anything to delay this.

He doesn't stand to make 'that' much more money.

Rom was the one who elected not to sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back