Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is it 3 goals against the top six this season? (3 in 10) It's ok being a flat track bully where endless service is supplied into the box for you to get on the end of, but against quality opposition where chances are much less or you have to produce something yourself it's then where you show your worth. The amount of times he had just one defender to beat but his awful technique let him down. His huge cumbersome heavy set frame lets him down, both in terms of touch, and his lack of movement. The one time he did skin the defender on the right late in the second half he only managed to do so as he hit the ball 10 yards in front of himself to run on to (naturally he ended up miscontrolling the ball)..when space is much tighter, or when he has to do something from a standing start, he struggles. Say it again, he's a bang average outfield player.

When Ross was running down the left he was getting hammered a few times by Robbie Savage for not picking out Lukaku, overlooking the static lump upfront who never made any run into space to receive a pass (it's not that he chose not to, from a standing start he's incapable of doing so).

Unless the service is provided into the box and everything is geared towards him to the overall detriment to the team, he struggles. He doesn't link play. He doesnt provide for others. He doesn't make runs into space or pull defenders all over the place. He's a one dimensional forward who is very lucky to be playing for a club that meets his own personal requirements (get the ball in Baines, Seamus, Ross etc.). I will be stunned if a Chelsea come calling for him. Man City got fleeced by signing the hapless Stones so there is always a chance.
choofed.gif

What is it 3 goals against the top six this season? (3 in 10) It's ok being a flat track bully where endless service is supplied into the box for you to get on the end of, but against quality opposition where chances are much less or you have to produce something yourself it's then where you show your worth. The amount of times he had just one defender to beat but his awful technique let him down. His huge cumbersome heavy set frame lets him down, both in terms of touch, and his lack of movement. The one time he did skin the defender on the right late in the second half he only managed to do so as he hit the ball 10 yards in front of himself to run on to (naturally he ended up miscontrolling the ball)..when space is much tighter, or when he has to do something from a standing start, he struggles. Say it again, he's a bang average outfield player.

When Ross was running down the left he was getting hammered a few times by Robbie Savage for not picking out Lukaku, overlooking the static lump upfront who never made any run into space to receive a pass (it's not that he chose not to, from a standing start he's incapable of doing so).

Unless the service is provided into the box and everything is geared towards him to the overall detriment to the team, he struggles. He doesn't link play. He doesnt provide for others. He doesn't make runs into space or pull defenders all over the place. He's a one dimensional forward who is very lucky to be playing for a club that meets his own personal requirements (get the ball in Baines, Seamus, Ross etc.). I will be stunned if a Chelsea come calling for him. Man City got fleeced by signing the hapless Stones so there is always a chance.

Ok

Wish there was a way to opt out of people "liking" my posts. I say the same thing about Lukaku constantly, but if he scored tonight and we won 2-1 you'd be smashing the dislike button instead.
if he scored and we won he'd of done his job. he didn't and we dropped 2 points.

I don't really have a problem with people saying he mightn't make it at a Chelsea, Real Madrid etc. That's barely even criticism as they have world class forwards and that's what they demand in their striker. It'd be a huge ask for him. I've always thought he has, at times, often been overly harshly criticised for his weaknesses though. I think for Evertonians it comes from annoyance at his open ambition and the fact we clearly can't match it in the short-term and for the media it comes from having to explain why he hasn't yet left Everton. Every touch he had tonight had to be commented on, good or bad (many were very good touches) and he's scrutinised more than any player I've ever seen at Everton.

Think Rossy B takes that honor

I don't really have a problem with people saying he mightn't make it at a Chelsea, Real Madrid etc. That's barely even criticism as they have world class forwards and that's what they demand in their striker. It'd be a huge ask for him. I've always thought he has, at times, often been overly harshly criticised for his weaknesses though. I think for Evertonians it comes from annoyance at his open ambition and the fact we clearly can't match it in the short-term and for the media it comes from having to explain why he hasn't yet left Everton. Every touch he had tonight had to be commented on, good or bad (many were very good touches) and he's scrutinised more than any player I've ever seen at Everton.

I think the annoyance stems from the uplift other teams have seen a top striker have. For teams at the bottom, a top striker can elevate them comfortably into mid table. Suarez turned an average Liverpool side who had finished behind Everton twice into title contenders, Kane has made Spurs champions league qualifiers now. We had a decent top 6 side, we managed to bring in a top striker and we went all the way to 5th, bottom half twice, and now 7th probably. They're the sort of finishes we obtained when we had Marcus Bent upfront hitting 6 a season yet now we've got a lad slotting 20 plus and it's made no difference. Everton though isn't it.

He had a solid game. Don't understand why he's being abused. Pretty much created every counter attacking opportunity tonight with his movement & hold-up play.

THIS!

He should have released kev and Ross for two clear cut goal opportunities and didn't but he will hopefully learn from that because I am positive ron will tell him.

His strength, pace, hold up play was excellent but we really lacked any attacking treat in the second half especially when Pennington came on and he still did well on the halfway line.

Finger to lips to Ash I don't like. I'm sure some of the team aren't impressed with his comments either and him wanting to leave and only rom can fix that.

Zero shots on goal in two games

...to be honest, Bryan I'm ok with him not scoring if he does a job for the team when we're under the cosh. He won't always have chances, he won't always score goals but he should always give his CBs a battle. He should always be an out ball when his team are under pressure and I thought he did that last night.

...much more like it last night. He might not have scored but he did a job for the team, running the channels, leading the line and getting free kicks.

I thought he was culpable in us not securing an easy 3 points eggs. Between Ross not picking the pass time and time again and him not making the runs to be an outlet for a final ball about 20 times and also taking pot shots from 40 yards they reminded me of 2 kids on a playground trying to outdo each other on how not to play as a partnership.

I said last night if that was any of the other top sides facing utd they would have steamrolled them about 5-1 given the amount of times we countered them.

He definitely kept the cb's busier than Saturday but his decision making last night was pretty dreadful imo

what top team is going to come in and buy this lad?

I don't think he's good enough for the top champions league teams

he's tapping them in like Happy Gilmore against crap teams, does very little against the better teams

I think the annoyance stems from the uplift other teams have seen a top striker have. For teams at the bottom, a top striker can elevate them comfortably into mid table. Suarez turned an average Liverpool side who had finished behind Everton twice into title contenders, Kane has made Spurs champions league qualifiers now. We had a decent top 6 side, we managed to bring in a top striker and we went all the way to 5th, bottom half twice, and now 7th probably. They're the sort of finishes we obtained when we had Marcus Bent upfront hitting 6 a season yet now we've got a lad slotting 20 plus and it's made no difference. Everton though isn't it.

Kane's in the champions league because he's been playing with the likes of Eriksen, Dembele, Vertonghen, Loris and Alderweireld. They've got top 6 quality in every position and in reserve. If we can replace the likes of Mirallas, Lennon, Jagielka etc with players of top 6 quality, it'll bring more out of Lukaku, highlight his weaknesses less and reduce our reliance on him in the coming seasons.

That's up to Moshiri. Replacing Barry with Schneiderlin was a good start.

Kane's in the champions league because he's been playing with the likes of Eriksen, Dembele, Vertonghen, Loris and Alderweireld. They've got top 6 quality in every position and in reserve. If we can replace the likes of Mirallas, Lennon, Jagielka etc with players of top 6 quality, it'll bring more out of Lukaku, highlight his weaknesses less and reduce our reliance on him in the coming seasons.

That's up to Moshiri. Replacing Barry with Schneiderlin was a good start.

Conversely, the argument can be made that if we replace Lukaku with a striker of decent quality, then we can play front foot football with these new top six quality players without the ball breaking down when we try it against good sides and being forced to play a counter attacking game because we're terrified of charging forward and relying on Lukaku not to ping pong the ball 20 yards off his shin and expose us.

As we bring in more quality, Lukaku's weaknesses will be exposed further if anything. That's why he's not at a top club now - because top clubs don't play that type of footballer up top.

I was disappointed in Lukaku last night, I thought he was playing fir himself after the criticism from Saturday. Not playing in Merallas and Barkley but going on his own was very poor. What he did in regard to telling a team mate to be quiet was bad for the team.
I am a big fan and hope he stays but he needs to play for Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back