Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree.

I'd also say Stones is the best cb we've had since Ratcliffe mate, the nucleus of this team could be something special so long as we keep it together and bring in people of the same quality where we are lacking, much the way Kendall built the 80's team

If the Europa league is against such poor opposition, why didn't we win it?

Are we going to revise Dixie Dean's scoring record because the rules were different for keepers in those days?

Are we going to discount some of Neville Southall's appearances because some were in the Texaco cup?

And we had next to no domestic cup run last year, so surely the goals he got in Europe would take the place of a usual decent cup run.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree mate, for me, a goal for Everton in a competitive match is a goal for Everton in a competitive match.

I think you're missing the point (although it's probably not being explained very well by people).

For me, it's not a case of "some goals count more than other, or some goals don't count at all" or anything like that. But that when judging a striker, you cannot simply look at his total amount of goals scored and judge him purely on that. You need to analyse those goals, what kind of goals were they, what opposition were they scored against etc etc in order to get a better picture.

I'm 99% certain that Martinez would do that when assessing any potential striker signings.

In fact we know he is looking for a new striker so lets use a couple of examples. There are 2 strikers he is interested, both pretty much identical in every way. Both scored 20 goals last season.

Striker A scored 15 in the league and 5 in the cup. His 15 in the league came against various teams including those at the top of the table. They included left and right foot finishes, headers, long rangers, tap ins, solo goals and good team goals, and a couple of pens, a nice variety. And his 5 in the cup were all winners, some against top teams.

Striker B scored 5 in the league and 15 in the cups. 2 of his in the league and 8 of his in the cup were pens. In total 17 of his goals were against either relegated teams or lower league teams and the majority were simple tap ins after good play from team mates to set him up.

Which striker do you think is better? Which do you think Martinez would go for as likely to do better for us?

Or are you honestly saying that both strikers 20 goals carry the same importance?

I know i'd rather the former than the later any day but assuming your logic you'd be happy with the latter.

If he manages to add Sharp's consistency and work ethic to his game - which he has showed in patches, then

I'd also say Stones is the best cb we've had since Ratcliffe mate, the nucleus of this team could be something special so long as we keep it together and bring in people of the same quality where we are lacking, much the way Kendall built the 80's team
We can hope mate.

Apparently we're only supposed to count the ones he scored on a Thursday afternoon mate.
No one ever said that, that's just factitious. But I do worry you obviously think 6 goals in his last 24 Pl games (inc 33% of said goals being from yesterday) is acceptable.

We played over 50 games last season if he'd of played like that every gave he'd be on over 100 goals, all I'm saying outside of yesterday when was the last individual game he played like that, I can only think of the EL game V Young Boys. I didn't think you'd be able to think of one.
How many strikers do you know in the top flight that score 100 goals mate?

What a performance from the big man.

Just goes to show that pure talent can't always win games if the tactics aren't right.
We played to Rom's strengths for once and look what happened!

How many strikers do you know in the top flight that score 100 goals mate?
No one, nor was I saying that I asked you did a game when he played like that you're the one who generalised and said last season, I merely pointed out that that was total BS. I also pointed out that you wouldn't pick out a specific game (probably as their isn't that bigger pool to pick from) but there were occasions. If he performs like that on a regular basis, not every week, but enough that someone like you can at least remember the last one. Then the debate is over he is what you say he is. Until then it's still debate worthy.

I think you're missing the point (although it's probably not being explained very well by people).

For me, it's not a case of "some goals count more than other, or some goals don't count at all" or anything like that. But that when judging a striker, you cannot simply look at his total amount of goals scored and judge him purely on that. You need to analyse those goals, what kind of goals were they, what opposition were they scored against etc etc in order to get a better picture.

I'm 99% certain that Martinez would do that when assessing any potential striker signings.

In fact we know he is looking for a new striker so lets use a couple of examples. There are 2 strikers he is interested, both pretty much identical in every way. Both scored 20 goals last season.

Striker A scored 15 in the league and 5 in the cup. His 15 in the league came against various teams including those at the top of the table. They included left and right foot finishes, headers, long rangers, tap ins, solo goals and good team goals, and a couple of pens, a nice variety. And his 5 in the cup were all winners, some against top teams.

Striker B scored 5 in the league and 15 in the cups. 2 of his in the league and 8 of his in the cup were pens. In total 17 of his goals were against either relegated teams or lower league teams and the majority were simple tap ins after good play from team mates to set him up.

Which striker do you think is better? Which do you think Martinez would go for as likely to do better for us?

Or are you honestly saying that both strikers 20 goals carry the same importance?

I know i'd rather the former than the later any day but assuming your logic you'd be happy with the latter.
Obviously 20 goals at PL level is far better than 20 at League 1 level, but I wouldn't say that the likes of Wolfsburg and Lille are lower league quality.

Also, in the FA Cup we played West Ham, a PL side. I don't see how this means he scored a lot of his 20 goals against lesser opposition.

Of course I'd like him to score more in the league, but at the same time I don't think we should differentiate between competitions. In my opinion of course.

I'm sure I've seen Lukaku score against Man City, Arsenal & Liverpool for Everton. Also quite sure he scored a hat trick v Man Utd when playing for West Brom. He's only 22 too.

What a player we have. Anyone who fails to think other really needs to watch a different sport.

So now his 10 league goals plus the ones he scored against Wolfsburg count?
Not sure what you're getting at here if you are happy with his goal return in all comps or certain comps (the fact that you've already said the last time you can remember him performing like yesterday was last November) then fine but you are not going to change my current opinion that 10 league goals last season was not up to standard. Only he can change my mind. But you can continue to make the same joke if it makes you feel better.

No one, nor was I saying that I asked you did a game when he played like that you're the one who generalised and said last season, I merely pointed out that that was total BS. I also pointed out that you wouldn't pick out a specific game (probably as their isn't that bigger pool to pick from) but there were occasions. If he performs like that on a regular basis, not every week, but enough that someone like you can at least remember the last one. Then the debate is over he is what you say he is. Until then it's still debate worthy.
Look at all the games he scored or assisted in mate. Them goals, they sort of win you games like.

You're in a very, very slim minority of melts if you don't think Lukaku is ace for Everton.

Come on.

I'll give that one a pass as it was against a team that was decent.
With the greatest respect mate, this just seems that you're willing to count his goals simply when you feel like it.

Who's to say who is a worthy opponent? What if a bad team is in top form against us? Does a goal count more then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back