Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its simple cost benefit analysis though - can we replace him with a sure fire signing that is going to promise the goals Romelu did? These next few years are massive for our development.

Fair enough - i was probably being too conservative there, especially since the demand for Romelu will be far superior than Keane due to him being a much bigger asset and Premier League clubs paying over the odds in an attempt to stifle foreign clubs, who are able to offer contracts much earlier to a premier league player than they can.
For it to be a simple cost benefit analysis there would have to be a clear return on the 54m, which I think is hard to argue - why would having lukaku next season bring us champs league when it didn't this season or the last 3. There's also a lot of risk, like if we have a terrible season next year or lukaku does his value will go down. Or if he has a terrible injury.

You look at a player like Mahrez that Leicester refused to sell because they were hoping to challenge at the top of the league again and in the champs league. The reality is that he was a player bang in form last season and his price was probably inflated due to that and the title win. They'll get significantly less for him if they sell him this summer, and he hasn't helped them this season as much as they thought. If they'd sold him for c.40m last season and invested more money into the squad things might have been different.

For it to be a simple cost benefit analysis there would have to be a clear return on the 54m, which I think is hard to argue - why would having lukaku next season bring us champs league when it didn't this season or the last 3. There's also a lot of risk, like if we have a terrible season next year or lukaku does his value will go down. Or if he has a terrible injury.

You look at a player like Mahrez that Leicester refused to sell because they were hoping to challenge at the top of the league again and in the champs league. The reality is that he was a player bang in form last season and his price was probably inflated due to that and the title win. They'll get significantly less for him if they sell him this summer, and he hasn't helped them this season as much as they thought. If they'd sold him for c.40m last season and invested more money into the squad things might have been different.

Difference between Mahrez and Lukaku is that the latter has been performing year in year out. In addition, Lukaku's value could rise even further if he has a really good World Cup campaign after, hopefully, leading us to a Champions League place. Who knows, he may even want to sign if that happens! Lots of ifs in there but we can only speculate at this stage.

We should break the bank to keep him. Lukaku will bring what we need in terms of finish and trophies, but he will need better players around him....better players create more distractions for opposition defences and Rom would then have more scoring opportunities. He has scored goals this year despite being marked by at least two players in every match, so another decent threat alongside or near him would either create opportunity for that player or more opportunity for Rom.

He only needs a sniff of goal and he's in more often than not.

If Moshiri is what we hope he is, then spending significant monies to boost the first team will be a given. If we all want to go hair shirt and say he is not, then sell Rom and let's go back to being perennial also-rans. Frankly I'd rather be on the hoping and up side of the equation, than constantly looking down at my shoes wondering why the world is against me.

Do I think we will finish top 4 next season with Romelu? No. My hope for the next few seasons is for us to begin to challenge for the top 4 from being in those positions for the some of season, and away from challenging for top4 from 4/5 points behind in 5-7th place. This looks to be the sustainable way to do it - and through this development we would hope to strengthen our squad with better and more players. Lukaku is a proven asset for any top team - goal machine, proven in the premier league over 5 seasons, 23, lot of development already and left to go, not injury prone at all - he will not lose his value in my opinion. If Romelu can help us to continue our development as a club, where we get into better positions to compete for top players, it is better than the 54m.

Do I think we will finish top 4 next season with Romelu? No. My hope for the next few seasons is for us to begin to challenge for the top 4 from being in those positions for the some of season, and away from challenging for top4 from 4/5 points behind in 5-7th place. This looks to be the sustainable way to do it - and through this development we would hope to strengthen our squad with better and more players. Lukaku is a proven asset for any top team - goal machine, proven in the premier league over 5 seasons, 23, lot of development already and left to go, not injury prone at all - he will not lose his value in my opinion. If Romelu can help us to continue our development as a club, where we get into better positions to compete for top players, it is better than the 54m.
Possible/probable countervailing tendencies that can prevent that:

• Second season syndrome. Both previous two manager's had a very good opening season followed by very poor ones. The novelty wears off and it gets difficult to keep that initial intensity.
  • Europa League responsibilities. That will, along with the better domestic cup performances that will be demanded, will add between about 14-18 more games than this season.
  • Teams will be ready for a stiffer test of Everton next season and were probably surprised by the form and manner of our victories post Christmas. It will be hard to get that type of 'guard down' approach from our opponents in season two under Koeman. Opposition managers and pundits always work things out and then cause problems. It happened under RM before his first season ended; it'd have been looked at more closely if our form and results this season would have been as post Christmas from the start of the season. Expect Everton to be taken seriously again and the resultant spoiling tactics to be adopted.
  • The elephant in the living room: the sale of Lukaku. If/when that happens then basically tear up what's been worked on so far and expect a different game plan and a season where a glut of goals isn't happening in a hurry.

Possible/probable countervailing tendencies that can prevent that:

• Second season syndrome. Both previous two manager's had a very good opening season followed by very poor ones. The novelty wears off and it gets difficult to keep that initial intensity.
  • Europa League responsibilities. That will, along with the better domestic cup performances that will be demanded, will add between about 14-18 more games than this season.
  • Teams will be ready for a stiffer test of Everton next season and were probably surprised by the form and manner of our victories post Christmas. It will be hard to get that type of 'guard down' approach from our opponents in season two under Koeman. Opposition managers and pundits always work things out and then cause problems. It happened under RM before his first season ended; it'd have been looked at more closely if our form and results this season would have been as post Christmas from the start of the season. Expect Everton to be taken seriously again and the resultant spoiling tactics to be adopted.
  • The elephant in the living room: the sale of Lukaku. If/when that happens then basically tear up what's been worked on so far and expect a different game plan and a season where a glut of goals isn't happening in a hurry.

Could the same questions therefore be asked of Chelsea under Conte ?
Second season... Europe... opposition prepare better... loss of Costa ?

*edit* maybe this should be in a new/different thread - not entirely specific to Lukaku thread is it ?

Every club 'sells to buy'

It's called business.

We're going to sell Niasse, Cleverley, Deulofeu and most likely McCarthy as a minimum, and get in around £45m combined.

That £45m will buy two-three players who will improve us.
Selling those you've mentioned won't be a shock to me. And if that business allows us to bring someone in, then fine. But I'm meaning more that we don't just solely use funds from sales this summer. I suppose I'm hoping for a bit more this time round. But if thats what it is, then so be it. It'll just signal to me that it'll be that way going forward rather than the 'hoped for' bigger investment in the playing squad since things changed at the top.

Selling those you've mentioned won't be a shock to me. And if that business allows us to bring someone in, then fine. But I'm meaning more that we don't just solely use funds from sales this summer. I suppose I'm hoping for a bit more this time round. But if thats what it is, then so be it. It'll just signal to me that it'll be that way going forward rather than the 'hoped for' bigger investment in the playing squad since things changed at the top.

Okay, I know you're not one of the 'net spend' brigade!

I really don't care what we spend as long as we do spend. Whether that's money from sales or from dodgy deals with Russian property magnates, i'm not arsed haha

Interesting comments by Mourinho about Rashford and Martial.
Full of praise for Rashford and either preparing for a Martial sale or trying to motivate the player...with Mourinho it could be either.

But, I listen to what he said and I substitute the name of Lukaku and I wonder which description would best fit... what he said about Martial or Rashford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back