Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gap is massive though. Theres basically a 3 tiered league. Top 7. Midtable. Bottom 5. All split by about 10 points
Right but his argument still has no validity. He's creating a scenario in his head that doesn't exist and imposing his narrative on that imaginary scenario.

It's complete and utter nonsense. It being Hughes though, I shouldn't expect more.

I don't think that's what a strawman is.

What Hughes did is simple speculation. He didn't try to misrepresent someone's position by imposing another argument onto them and arguing against that instead.
Really? To paraphrase ' If Everton didn't have a good player, they would not be as good'. To me, that's a misrepresentation of actual fact in aim of deriving some self-serving axiomatic conclusion (and effectively attempting to impose some other proposition)

Hughes is a bit of a pusillanimous [Poor language removed]; trying to deflect from his own poor managerial performance by such 'tactics'.

Last edited:
Really? To paraphrase ' If Everton didn't have a good player, they would not be as good'. To me, that's a misrepresentation of actual fact in aim of deriving some self-serving axiomatic conclusion (and effectively attempting to impose some other proposition)

Hughes is a bit of a pusillanimous [Poor language removed]; trying to deflect from his own poor managerial performance by such 'tactics'.
Yeah, I really don't think it is.

Firstly, he's not misrepresenting a fact, because it's not a fact. Secondly, misrepresenting a fact isn't necessarily a strawman argument... It's just being wrong.

If Everton's position wwas that we'd be just as good a team without Lukaku, and Hughes said something like, "Everton think they'd be the best team in the Prem even if they lost Lukaku," then I believe this would be an example of a strawman argument. It's setting up an easier target argument rather than dealing with the actual argument put forward.

Mad how we're talking about logical fallacies on a board about Lukaku. Surprised we haven't been told off or something lol.

Yeah, I suppose it is. But it works just as well rolling it forward a season if we dont have him.

IMO, it's not guaranteed money from his sale would be spent wisely and Everton - with the added amount of games to be played - would be back 9th/10th.

Which two or three teams would/will be ahead of us?

Which two or three teams would/will be ahead of us?
I think Leicester will recover if they retain their best players; Stoke are resilient under Hughes and could get another very decent season; and I wouldn't be surprised to see West Ham having a much better season than this one when they've had a the shock of getting used to that horrendous stadium.

I think Leicester will recover if they retain their best players; Stoke are resilient under Hughes and could get another very decent season; and I wouldn't be surprised to see West Ham having a much better season than this one when they've had a the shock of getting used to that horrendous stadium.

Mahrez has already said he's going, Schmeichel looks like he's moving too. The rest are over 30. And they've lost Steve Walsh. Nope, can't see it.

West Ham are currently 16points behind us and we've been on the beach for the last month. Again, can't see it.

Stoke. Lol, you little rascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back