Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accept no-one wants them to leave, it is the acceptance that they will I dont understand.

If we allow them to leave we have for once and for all given up any ambition we may claim to have.

They're contracted to play for Everton, that should be the answer to bidders and agents

It's a simple question of ambition mate. If we had a chance of top 4 this season I think they could be convinced to stay, unless of course Bayen, Madrid, PSG or Barca come in for them, then could you honestly blame either of them for having their heads turned?

But, all top European players want to play CL football, we can't give them that next year. They have short careers, they want to win things, it's more of a question about being realistic IMO.

Can't understand any blue accepting that Lukaku and Stones should be allowed to leave even for £100 million plus.

If you truly believe we are building something then they have to be kept, you can't build by selling your best players.

We should be outside the Directors entrance with pitchforks if they countenance any bid for either player.
Weird deja vu but a couple of my (not blue) mates we're saying last night if someone came with £100 mil for those two we'd have to say yes.
One actually said "You'd stay up and imagine the team you could build in the summer with the money!"

They couldn't see how mad that logic was, mind boggling.

Unless he gets a trophy, he won't be getting a bigger job than here for a long, long time.

He'd stay.

Maybe yes. It would be frustrating, though. ..to see his squad torned apart. It would be crisis but I think he could be persuaded. £100m to splash would probs help him to cope with the losses x

I accept no-one wants them to leave, it is the acceptance that they will I dont understand.

If we allow them to leave we have for once and for all given up any ambition we may claim to have.

They're contracted to play for Everton, that should be the answer to bidders and agents

You do surprise, you obviously have a sound business acumen. Please tell me how we keep these players if they want to go? loyalty and contracts as much as we say are in place count as nothing. Lukaku's loyalty lies with himself, if he had any loyalty whatsoever he would still be plying his trade in Belgium. He left his home place, family for the desire of success and money, that is in his DNA ..... so we are dealing with a individual who clearly has ambition but the question is can we meet his ambition? do we play in CL? will we ever play in the CL? this ultimately takes us into the direction of the investments of our board but this is not the time and place.

As you have rightly pointed out in the past, we are now at a major crossroads for EFC..... unless we qualify for CL this summer OR the club has substantial investment NOW that makes the players see we are going places, then I'm afraid, we will lose a major talent in the summer.

I am really worried for the history of our club at this time, we have what I consider to be the best squad I have seen since the 80's, I was not fortunate to see the Ball / Kendal / Harvey era but to me this current squad is the closest to the"class of 92" that I have ever seen barring one or two additions.

What we need is a good run, maybe silverware for the crop of players to see and buy into the potential of the current squad, or we get investment with clear promises and commitment to strengthening the team...

If not any of the above, I believe we will lose one and it will be like snakes and ladders.... back so many steps that it will be hard to retreive

Anyway, that's my thoughts BUT like you I would like to tell any clubs who want to buy our players that they are not for sale and go away and also to be able to tell any player that is asking to leave to go away and come back when their contract is up.....

You do surprise, you obviously have a sound business acumen. Please tell me how we keep these players if they want to go? loyalty and contracts as much as we say are in place count as nothing. Lukaku's loyalty lies with himself, if he had any loyalty whatsoever he would still be plying his trade in Belgium. He left his home place, family for the desire of success and money, that is in his DNA ..... so we are dealing with a individual who clearly has ambition but the question is can we meet his ambition? do we play in CL? will we ever play in the CL? this ultimately takes us into the direction of the investments of our board but this is not the time and place.

As you have rightly pointed out in the past, we are now at a major crossroads for EFC..... unless we qualify for CL this summer OR the club has substantial investment NOW that makes the players see we are going places, then I'm afraid, we will lose a major talent in the summer.

I am really worried for the history of our club at this time, we have what I consider to be the best squad I have seen since the 80's, I was not fortunate to see the Ball / Kendal / Harvey era but to me this current squad is the closest to the"class of 92" that I have ever seen barring one or two additions.

What we need is a good run, maybe silverware for the crop of players to see and buy into the potential of the current squad, or we get investment with clear promises and commitment to strengthening the team...

If not any of the above, I believe we will lose one and it will be like snakes and ladders.... back so many steps that it will be hard to retreive

Anyway, that's my thoughts BUT like you I would like to tell any clubs who want to buy our players that they are not for sale and go away and also to be able to tell any player that is asking to leave to go away and come back when their contract is up.....

You make excellent points mate almost all of which I agree.

However I do believe we can get at least one more season out of Stones and Lukaku. Hopefully many more but one as a minimum.

Why?

Obviously any success on the pitch will help, a cup success would be good, but it is our final league placing which is going to be the marker.

If ownership is resolved and investment is clearly available with transfer funds available in the summer then that is also a big boost as you say.

However regardless of that I believe even if results haven't demonstrated it as yet, the style and quality of our football at times point to much bigger things - I'd hope both Lukaku, Stones, Del, and Barkley recognise that.

However if none of the above materialises then it's time to play hard ball with the prospect of what we hoped to achieve this season happening next season.

Persistence and stubbornness are two valuable business traits which is part of the above but ultimately if we lose Stones or Lukaku our dreams of building a great side around some of the world's best young players dies.

That's the dream, it must be maintained at all costs. We should not yield an inch, anywhere.

Keeping Lukaku is a must, i've banged the drum for a while now but we really should be looking to chuck big wages at him for him to sign a new deal. He's a 130-160k a week player at present and is worth every penny, losing him will be like the kopites losing Suarez at present, it will be inevitable but the board should atleast get him to sign a new deal with the promise of letting him go the season after next if we don't get CL football.

For Stones im not that bothered if he leaves tbh, it's clear he'll go I just want us to get good value for him £45-50 million. Reinvest that in 2x £15 million CB's one for Stones replacement the other as a long term replacement for an ageing Jags, and use the rest and the tv cash on a top quality GK and playmaker/back up striker. We would be stronger losing stones in the long term but not Rom.

Agree completely. If we as a club are serious about pushing for top 4 and beyond, then we do not sell our best players. Players like Rom and Stones do not come along very often and would be very difficult to replace. Take the gamble and keep them until the end of their contracts and hope we become good enough that they want to stay

However I do believe we can get at least one more season out of Stones and Lukaku. Hopefully many more but one as a minimum.

Why?

Obviously any success on the pitch will help, a cup success would be good, but it is our final league placing which is going to be the marker.

If ownership is resolved and investment is clearly available with transfer funds available in the summer then that is also a bug boost as you say.

However regardless of that I beleive even if results haven't demonstrated it as yet, the style and quality of our football at times point to much bigger things - I'd hope both Lukaku, Stones, Del, and Barkley recognise that.

However if none of the above materialises then it's time to play hard ball with the prospect of what we hoped to achieve this season happening next season.

Persistence and stubbornness are two valuable business traits which is part of the above but ultimately if we lose Stones or Lukaku our dreams of building a great side around some of the world's best young players dies.

That's the dream, it must be maintained at all costs. We should not yield an inch, anywhere.
I agree in the main, but if the likes of Barcelona come knocking on the door I think they will go.
If honest I would not blame them and also wish them all the best

Why?

If ownership is resolved and investment is clearly available with transfer funds available in the summer then that is also a bug boost as you say.

However regardless of that I beleive even if results haven't demonstrated it as yet, the style and quality of our football at times point to much bigger things - I'd hope both Lukaku, Stones, Del, and Barkley recognise that.

I completely agree with this and more importantly I think the manager does and let's face it if you're looking for stubbornness Martinez has it in spades!!The unknown factor in this is whether any new ownership would be thinking along the same lines. I think Kenwright for all his faults would be willing to back Martinez's stance on this.

Put the money for, and keep Stones, Lukaku, Barkley, etc... next year. If Lukaku knows that Stones, Barkley... stay, he'll understand that the club has a 2/3 years projects. And buy one or two very good players.

Everton has a brillant and young squad. As every young squad, it lacks this year regularity, and the necessary experience to finish a game (how many points lost?).

Next year, with this team and 2 new players, Everton can play the tittle. Lukaku is cleaver an I'm sure he can be seduce by such a project.

Why?

If I was the manager, I would be telling the up and coming stars, give me 12-18 months to complete the "project"... there is an obvious positive harmony amongst them and all of them can see what we can see... Howard will be gone in the summer and along with a new few positive additions this will be one hell of a squad. If no clear development tell they can go with my blessing...

I for one believe RM management style is one that is well respected and I know the mood in the camp is really positive ( fact form a source close within the players) and he is obviously respected, too many "quotes" from players to make this an assumption. The swiss signing confirms this...

I refer back to how this is really critical time for us...... I feel we are in touching distance of something special but getting there is another matter..... we have over the years been so near to big things ... banned form europe, NTL, KINGS DOCK and all the rest

I would like to think the older members of the squad will be having the right words in the ears of the likes of stones.... tell them to sit tight, be big fish in little ponds, earn a GOOD wage, maximise playing time and if we cannot deliver then go with everyones blessing

COYB!

If I was the manager, I would be telling the up and coming stars, give me 12-18 months to complete the "project"... there is an obvious positive harmony amongst them and all of them can see what we can see... Howard will be gone in the summer and along with a new few positive additions this will be one hell of a squad. If no clear development tell they can go with my blessing...

I for one believe RM management style is one that is well respected and I know the mood in the camp is really positive ( fact form a source close within the players) and he is obviously respected, too many "quotes" from players to make this an assumption. The swiss signing confirms this...

I refer back to how this is really critical time for us...... I feel we are in touching distance of something special but getting there is another matter..... we have over the years been so near to big things ... banned form europe, NTL, KINGS DOCK and all the rest

I would like to think the older members of the squad will be having the right words in the ears of the likes of stones.... tell them to sit tight, be big fish in little ponds, earn a GOOD wage, maximise playing time and if we cannot deliver then go with everyones blessing

COYB!

Totally agree mate

If Everton were a character in Greek mythology we could play Tantulus !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back