Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a game where sterling goes for 50m mate, then rom is worth far far more than 50, James went to madrid for something like 65-70m, your talking that kind of fee easily.
I understand your point, however Sterling's valuation isn't a fair comparison as he's English and was inflated by the whole wrangling over the deal.

Arguably he should be worth much more, unfortunately I just don't think it will work out like that if he is ever sold when you look at other deals.

Although of course I'd love to be proven wrong!

£28m-- even the ardent of cynics at the time have to agree that looks like a snip now, Chelsea must have big regrets letting him go.

I've often thought about this and the fact that Chelsea may regret having let him go. To be honest though he would NEVER have been given the time to develop the skills he has now. When he first came here apart from scoring goals he was nowhere near the finished article. No way would a top Champions League team have played him on a regular basis. He has matured and improved because he obviously has desire to improve, has obviously had top coaching and has been given the possibility of playing week in week without undue pressure and criticism.
We have been perfect for him.

I understand your point, however Sterling's valuation isn't a fair comparison as he's English and was inflated by the whole wrangling over the deal.

Arguably he should be worth much more, unfortunately I just don't think it will work out like that if he is ever sold when you look at other deals.

Although of course I'd love to be proven wrong!

the home grown tax is obviously in effect, but think that lukaku actually may qualify as a home grown player in those rules as he's been in england since he was so young

He didn't even cost £28m, £5m of that total is made up by a probably inaccurate claim we paid that as his loan fee, another £3m is contingent on us qualifying for the CL.

Of course. I'd still rather he stayed though.

Of course mate!

I think there's a chance he might but that chance would be a whole lot better if the first thing we do is offer him a pay-rise and get him on £100k+ per-week. Even if it's only a year extension on his deal (so that would mean 4 years left at the end of the season rather than 3), it would help immensely. I'm sure his agent would also insist on a buy-out clause but make it a big one (£65mil).

And then lump on Barks as well and get him on a five year deal. He wasn't at his best yesterday but still got two assists and his second one was sublime.

Also offer Stones a new deal though do feel he may leave.

You're mate is a fool. Sorry to have to inform you...
He's a good lad to be fair. But he just didn't like Rom from the start cos of the 28m fee and was expecting him to be the finished article for that price. Said he wasn't worth it. Last season he slaughtered him (wasn't getting the service in my view) and it carried on into this season. Its like he can't backtrack now. Suffice to say no texts last night as Rom was the difference in a tight game there. I love Rom.

Agree with every word of that post.

I'm stunned really. It's a completely different player - he's turned from ping pong shins to one of the most complete centre forwards in the world in the space of 10 months. There was no sign whatsoever his technique could improve this much, but it's the dictionary definition of a striker learning a role.

Just amazing. I mean, I still stand by my criticism of him last season, as it was perfectly true, but conversely I'm not afraid to say I was completely wrong in my concerns about him long term - the guy is a monster.

There were games last season where he looked complete. He didn't have his best season because he wasn't fit for a third of it, but the signs were there. Games like Lille at home, where his hold-up play was excellent for 90 minutes proved that he had it in his locker. The consistency was just going to take time to come, as he was just 21.

Great to see him using his strength for the his first goal, he really needs to do that more often because he is such a handful. Two difficult finishes as well so fair play to him.

I don't think I've ever seen someone Hulk up on a football pitch before, but that's the only way I could describe what he did when Azpilicueta tried to bring him down for the first goal.

His development is staggering. To think of how much he has progressed from his loan spell in the 2013/14 season, it's unbelievable. He has a bit of everything in his game, he's always had the intelligence but at times lacked the ability. Now, I don't see any faults. A truly gifted young footballer.
I loved watching Drogba and on his day he was one of the best ever IMO. Lukaku could go on to be every bit as good as him, and then some.

He didn't even cost £28m, £5m of that total is made up by a probably inaccurate claim we paid that as his loan fee, another £3m is contingent on us qualifying for the CL.

Mate this is the slippery slope to Kopitery, the MO for those defending splurging £35m on Donkey Andy.

£28m is the quoted price, we paid £28m, or will pay £28m, it is getting paid.

The fact that he is now worth double it shows how good a buy it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back