Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather not sell, but if we do sell to Utd with Rooney at the late stage of his career and us having a decent amount of Cash + expensive players we might possibly off load it might be a faint chance, probably not but if we did sign Rooney for next to nothing apart from wages we could probably get another decent Striker and still be strong upfront.

Mate, Rooney? What?

As much criticism as Martinez rightly gets, it's his madcap tactics that have allowed Lukaku to score enough goals to get noticed by better teams.

He'll never have it this easy again.

He is also the reason that Lukaku hasn't had as productive second half of the season as first... maybe if he had we would be higher in the league...

I expect that Lukaku and his agent are fishing to see who out there is genuinely interested while at the same time improving their case if it comes to discussing a new contract.

Lukaku is going to cost serious money , certainly in excess of 60m and I wonder how many clubs will be interested in that range.

As much criticism as Martinez rightly gets, it's his madcap tactics that have allowed Lukaku to score enough goals to get noticed by better teams.

He'll never have it this easy again.

Lukaku bagged loads from the bench at West Brom. Completely different style of football to what we do now. He also got decent totals in all three of his seasons here, we played a different style in all three. I have no doubt he would continue to score at the same rate or even higher when surrounded by higher quality creative midfielders.

I'd cash in this summer. He wants out and this might be our best chance to get an exorbitant fee for him. We've got Niasse and Brewster and with the fee we could pick up another forward or 2

I'd rather not sell, but if we do sell to Utd with Rooney at the late stage of his career and us having a decent amount of Cash + expensive players we might possibly off load it might be a faint chance, probably not but if we did sign Rooney for next to nothing apart from wages we could probably get another decent Striker and still be strong upfront.

The problem with that is we'd be getting 31 year old Rooney who is now finished. Been very poor for Utd for several seasons now.

I'm pretty sure that Lukaku will give us at least the first half of next season to see if CL ambitions with Everton are realistic, particularly if there are significant incoming players early in the summer.

I'm assuming contract re-negotiations are taking place currently, so these sort of noises must be expected.

Then why did you bring up people slagging off Martinez?

It may not have come across as it was meant to, but I was pointing to lads slagging Martinez because we could lose Lukaku, and it will be his fault, and also slagging him off for spending £28m on Lukaku when we first got him, you said he deserved to be slagged off for the last 2 seasons of lower half of the table crap, 2 difference things.

Last edited:
Think he might be thinking about euros. Signings were a bit late in 2014 with the world Cup because players go on vacation for a few weeks after the tournaments
Would imagine we will have a few top targets and will try and get them done quickly before the tournament if only to save some money if they have a good Euros. I know money isn't an issue like it was but still makes sense.

Also if we get a couple in early it strengthens our hand when we talk to Rom and the rest about staying if they see we are signing good players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back