Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok mate keep calm.

Calm (and cool) as a cucumber mate just trying to engage in some spirited debate on an internet forum. Frowned upon? "Calm down" is typically the thing people say when they're unable to form a coherent argument and want to strawman someone rather than deal in facts.

Calm (and cool) as a cucumber mate just trying to engage in some spirited debate on an internet forum. Frowned upon? "Calm down" is typically the thing people say when they're unable to form a coherent argument and want to strawman someone rather than deal in facts.
I sense a little tension. "What world do you all live in" and "what makes us so damn special"-esque statements can sometimes be taken the wrong way by some. Not me of course, I'm merely trying to keep the peace.

Perhaps on your part my friend. I love you and want to talk about Everton rather than our current moods.
Chill.

Now, I'd prefer to keep Lukaku and I'd pull out all the stops to do so. And yes as you say, just because we can afford someone doesn't guarantee either that a suitable replacement is out there, or that they would come to us.

It has the potential to be a scary summer.

Yup. International friendlies mean a lot of players who are very meh get to play.
So you are judging him based on the club he plays for at age 21? Ok. Also, here's who played for Belgium. You'd take almost all of them for Everton. Not much "meh" on that list.

1 Thibaut Courtois
3 Nicolas Lombaerts
7Guillaume Gillet
5 Jordan Lukaku
15 Jason Denayer
D 4 Dedryck Boyata
23 Thomas Vermaelen
6 Axel Witsel
8 Marouane Fellaini
19 Mousa Dembélé
14 Dries Mertens
9 Michy Batshuayi
18 Radja Nainggolan
22 Nacer Chadli
10 Romelu Lukaku

So you are judging him based on the club he plays for at age 21? Ok. Also, here's who played for Belgium. You'd take almost all of them for Everton. Not much "meh" on that list.

1 Thibaut Courtois
3 Nicolas Lombaerts
7Guillaume Gillet
5 Jordan Lukaku
15 Jason Denayer
D 4 Dedryck Boyata
23 Thomas Vermaelen
6 Axel Witsel
8 Marouane Fellaini
19 Mousa Dembélé
14 Dries Mertens
9 Michy Batshuayi
18 Radja Nainggolan
22 Nacer Chadli
10 Romelu Lukaku
Dedrick Boyata, Jason Denayer, Lukaku jr - I doubt they'd get much of a run out in the euros, for example? He can still improve, and he's hardly the finished article, but hardly a world beater. Provided we now have actual money (supposedly) - why would we get players that MIGHT come good now?

And we don't need another LB on top like.

Dedrick Boyata, Jason Denayer, Lukaku jr - I doubt they'd get much of a run out in the euros, for example? He can still improve, and he's hardly the finished article, but hardly a world beater. Provided we now have actual money (supposedly) - why would we get players that MIGHT come good now?

And we don't need another LB on top like.
Already said we won't be signing him. Just pointing out your logic for judging a player you've likely not seen more than once or twice is flawed.

Can we sign his Dad too ??

If his brother is the same size can he head a ball?

We have such good options at left back along with some fantastic youth prospects that normally I'd be against a signing like this but if it's gives us the chance not only keep romelu but also add a bit of defensive solidity & height then its worthwhile.

We won't lose much money he is only young & unfortunately the current standard of the prem being so low means physicality is becoming more worthwhile than skill he looks a big strong lad like his brother hopefully has his pace too

And what if I've seen him more than that and based my judgement of him not being that good based on that?
Fair enough then. But the way you posed your initial question shows you have not. You stated, he's not that good because he's playing in a friendly and plays for a mid-table Belgian side. If you'd seen him extensively, I'd expect you to say that when passing judgement. Maybe not, but given what you clearly think of the Belgian league, I doubt you watch it much.

Fair enough then. But the way you posed your initial question shows you have not. You stated, he's not that good because he's playing in a friendly and plays for a mid-table Belgian side. If you'd seen him extensively, I'd expect you to say that when passing judgement. Maybe not, but given what you clearly think of the Belgian league, I doubt you watch it much.
I said that with regards to people going a bit OTT with "sign him Boberto, he plays for Belgium, they're top 5". He's got decent pace, fantastic dreadlocks, but leaves a lot to be desired in the actual defending part of the game, and his tackles when standing up are Bambi on ice. If we use the same yardstick then we should be looking at Dedrick Boyata, seeing as he plays for one of the top national teams and also a top 1 Scottish team? But we all know he's kinda poop really.

Belgian league isn't exactly fantastic though, is it? It's essentially Scotland outside of Scotland - Anderlecht win it nearly every year, and in the last few years there's been a bit more competition from Brugge and Gent (who won it for the first time in their 100+ year history) and occasionally Standard with their golden generation that they all sold when the players were 18-20 years old. So Scotland with 3 teams and fancier names then? Either way, not a fantastic league, and Lukaku jr doesn't really strike as a fantastic player for now. Maybe in the future he'll be as good at his position as his brother is, respectively, but now - no. Galloway is way more developed in everything except pace, where Belg lad beats him.

I said that with regards to people going a bit OTT with "sign him Boberto, he plays for Belgium, they're top 5". He's got decent pace, fantastic dreadlocks, but leaves a lot to be desired in the actual defending part of the game, and his tackles when standing up are Bambi on ice. If we use the same yardstick then we should be looking at Dedrick Boyata, seeing as he plays for one of the top national teams and also a top 1 Scottish team? But we all know he's kinda poop really.

Belgian league isn't exactly fantastic though, is it? It's essentially Scotland outside of Scotland - Anderlecht win it nearly every year, and in the last few years there's been a bit more competition from Brugge and Gent (who won it for the first time in their 100+ year history) and occasionally Standard with their golden generation that they all sold when the players were 18-20 years old. So Scotland with 3 teams and fancier names then? Either way, not a fantastic league, and Lukaku jr doesn't really strike as a fantastic player for now. Maybe in the future he'll be as good at his position as his brother is, respectively, but now - no. Galloway is way more developed in everything except pace, where Belg lad beats him.
Fair points. I've not seen him hardly at all, so I have less judge of the player than you. All I'm saying is you can find quality in many sides in many leagues. I can't get on board with judging a young player based on where he plays his club ball, especially when his national team rates him enough to bring him in. We signed Oviedo from Denmark. We signed Coleman from Ireland. We signed Stones from Barnsley. We signed Mirallas from Greece. There are quality players all over.

Fair points. I've not seen him hardly at all, so I have less judge of the player than you. All I'm saying is you can find quality in many sides in many leagues. I can't get on board with judging a young player based on where he plays his club ball, especially when his national team rates him enough to bring him in. We signed Oviedo from Denmark. We signed Coleman from Ireland. We signed Stones from Barnsley. We signed Mirallas from Greece. There are quality players all over.
As I said, "for now". Maybe in a year or two he'll improve a-la Oviedo/Stones/Coleman, and be one of those late bloomers, but at this point in time I doubt we should be signing players because they MAYBE decent in a year or three's time, is all I'm saying.

As I said, "for now". Maybe in a year or two he'll improve a-la Oviedo/Stones/Coleman, and be one of those late bloomers, but at this point in time I doubt we should be signing players because they MAYBE decent in a year or three's time, is all I'm saying.
I know nothing of the lad apart from he's lukaku's brother and played for Belgium the other night, if he goes the euros and plays well could he be another besic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back