Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree, I forgot Stering was 50 million, if he was worth 50 Lukaku is definitely worth £65.

That's not how it works at all, and Stirling went for £44 million, with £5 million on if's and but's.

Also, QPR got about £8 million of that fee, that's why it was so high, the RS got about £36 million.

A player is only worth what a club is prepared to pay

Or what a club is prepared to sell for.

We have the power. What on earth is the point in aiming for what we think he's worth? He's not an old set of drawers we're trying to flog on eBay.

Let's say you have a prized possession. Jewellery, a camera, a signed picture of Joseph Yobo, whatever. To an objective party they may think it's worth something far less than what it'd take for you to part with it. But if someone offers you 50 grand for your scribbled snap of Joey's face, you may wipe away the tears and take the dough.

Still
That's not how it works at all, and Stirling went for £44 million, with £5 million on if's and but's.

Also, QPR got about £8 million of that fee, that's why it was so high, the RS got about £36 million.
good money as I don't really rate him, but in the end city will probably have to pay near the 50 and the 8 million to QPR is immaterial.

The fact that QPR got £8m doesn't make City willing to pay more.

Might make Liverpool WANT more, doesn't alter how likely they are to get it though.

Or what a club is prepared to sell for.

We have the power. What on earth is the point in aiming for what we think he's worth? He's not an old set of drawers we're trying to flog on eBay.

Let's say you have a prized possession. Jewellery, a camera, a signed picture of Joseph Yobo, whatever. To an objective party they may think it's worth something far less than what it'd take for you to part with it. But if someone offers you 50 grand for your scribbled snap of Joey's face, you may wipe away the tears and take the dough.

Or until we are buying players, then WE all set what he is worth ?? Yeah ??

You only have to look at Martial at the Mancs, paid £36 million for him, potentially rising to £58 million with all the add - on's.

Last edited:
The fact that QPR got £8m doesn't make City willing to pay more.

Might make Liverpool WANT more, doesn't alter how likely they are to get it though.

Which is what drives the price, a price they put on a player, based on all factors....AND ONE OF THEM WILL BE A HUGE SELL ON CLAUSE.

Or until we are buying players, then WE all set what he is worth ?? Yeah ??

If we're buying players clubs were fine selling.

But if we wanted to go buy Kante from Leicester for example, do you not think it'd take an astronomical bid to get him? We could only get him with a bid that was well above his objective worth, because we would have to make it worth their while.

50m is great money but I think people just over value due to say, Carol 35m etc.
Andy Carroll is an anomaly as he's not worth anywhere near £35m as we so often pointed out. Using him as any form of benchmark is erroneous.

The problem is though that the true value of a player is pretty irrelevant in this case as we're in no rush to sell; it's where we set the limit.

If it were the other way around, like @Pabbers I'd say £50m would be a reasonable price as regardless of his ability he's still not an elite signing.

He's not a Suarez, Bale, Neymar or a Di Maria. But, and it's a BIG but, if we hold our nerve and dual with the big boys then £60-65m isn't unjust.

I'd be content with the £50m mark, however I think we need to squeeze any team for all we can so aiming for higher should be the way forward.

So put a price of £65m and stand by it for as long as we can. If they pay £65m then amazing; if they drop to £60-55m then we're better off.

We're not buying so as @RFUS said, I'm not too concerned about his true value but rather what we can eventually get for him!

Which is what drives the price, a price they put on a player, based on all factors....AND ONE OF THEM WILL BE A HUGE SELL ON CLAUSE.
Yes, but I can put a price on my house of £1m because I have to pay off the mortgage. Doesn't mean anyone will be willing to pay.

Liverpool were at their liberty to put whatever price they like on Sterling, just as we are with Lukaku.

A buying club will put NO thought into the fact that there's a sell on clause - they'll either be willing to pay it or not.

Exactly, that £58 million will be after he wins the World Player of the year award.... and some on here want £65 million NOW for Lukaku!!!

While i see your point, they where taking a kid (albeit a very highly rated one) from a league which lets be honest is pretty [Poor language removed] barring the top clubs. The premier league is the most competitive in the world - and Lukaku has only been outscored by 2, Aguero and Suarez (i believe it is that might be slightly out of date/wrong).

We are not talking about some punt on a kid, thats what we done. we are talking about a striker who while isn't the finished article, has been scoring season in season out in the most competitive league in the world.

We won't get £65m for him, but his age, ability, scoring record and contract length - put together right what we paid should dictate we aren't getting less then £50m for him - be it with add ons or not.

Yes, but I can put a price on my house of £1m because I have to pay off the mortgage. Doesn't mean anyone will be willing to pay.

Liverpool were at their liberty to put whatever price they like on Sterling, just as we are with Lukaku.

A buying club will put NO thought into the fact that there's a sell on clause - they'll either be willing to pay it or not.

You have missed the point mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back