Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely no idea why we were aiming high balls to a player who never really wins them, and with no one to get behind for the flick ons if he did.

He showed plenty of willing in the second half I thought but he barely gets a decent chance all game.

We have a boss striker that we don't let strike.

EVERTON

You're not wrong but does scoring goals & keeping us up exempt us from analysing his flaws.
Small time attitude

He has given numerous interviews with various sound bites I'm so strong i'm a beast no one can touch me etc

Okay fine but I don't see it. I see a fanastic player who could be so much more with increased application. Instead we all find increasing reasons to compensate for his weaknesses.

We want to be champions league & a top club well if we were he wouldn't be exempt from criticism
Fixed 5/10

We have a boss striker that we don't let strike.

EVERTON

The thing is, first season we played two fullbacks, two wingers, then Ross Barkley in that weird number 10 spot. Five clear routes of getting the ball into Lukaku's feet, four of them from wide areas, where he gets loads of joy from.

We've now changed it so our full backs don't get forward very often, we rarely have more than one winger on the pitch ( or like last night, they've tucked in so much that there is no width) and Barkley's part of the pitch is now crowded out. Coleman seems determined to show he has a left foot, rather than cross it early with his right. Just a very weird setup.

He needs more 'interception -> forward ball'... even when counter-attacking fluid boss-ness (a la start of the season) is at a premium for us he will thrive - Besic is more conducive to this than McCarthy, for me.

I did find it quite strange that in the match thread last night, during a pretty woeful display, our lone striker playing in a rubbish 10 man team was getting the brunt of the criticism. Why direct anger at our top scorer? He has been the only positive this season, and will still be sold for a fortune.

anyone offers us 65m take the money and run. could get a player that scores similar amount of goals and contributes nothing to the team for half that.
fair enough he has the tools to be so much more but his hold up play etc has barely improved since he was 18.
he could be the best striker in the world in 5 years but equally could be a belgian jermaine defoe

What happened to those early crosses of old.

Not sure at all mate.

In two years we've gone from playing entirely to Lukaku's strengths - arguably, even Kone's - to this weird structureless rubbish. It worked, why change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back