Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's scored 2 goals in 4 in the league, and 2 goals in 1 game in the cup. 4 in 5 overall.

Not clinical though?
As @blue4eva77 mentions, those statistics are somewhat warped when you look at them in detail which suggest another point.

Both league goals are in one game where he played very well, and the cup goals were against Barnsley. Not entirely poor, but not the best.

However, overall (as mentioned earlier) I think he's playing much better this season in a number of aspects involving movement and hold up play.

He just needs to start to convert the chances which are becoming more often to him. If he doesn't do that by say November then I will be worried.

It's just the usual GOT way: completely here and now where he's either the World's best or he's absolute dross. There is an actual in-between.

2 goals in 6 games. Surely that's a 1 in 3 player?

If you've got the time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratio
I'm not on about goals ratio. I'm on about him showing up and putting in a performance. The Southampton game he was sublime. That's one in five.

His play has actually improved in areas he was struggling with last season but if we are to do something this season as a team, he needs to be more consistent, more clinical when played in.

I'm not on about goals ratio. I'm on about him showing up and putting in a performance. The Southampton game he was sublime. That's one in five.

His play has actually improved in areas he was struggling with last season but if we are to do something this season as a team, he needs to be more consistent, more clinical when played in.

Even then I thought he had a good game against Chelsea, particularly in the 2nd half.

2 good performances from 6 games...

Even then I thought he had a good game against Chelsea, particularly in the 2nd half.

2 good performances from 6 games...
His consistency won't improve until his place in the team is under threat. He turns up each week knowing he will be selected regardless of the previous performance. Of course that's not his fault but surely that must play a factor. Lukaku said himself that being dropped last season ( around December I think) motivated him to kick on, gave him a kick up the hoop. Same pattern again, doing a bare minimum and showing up when he can be arsed.

He was played in 3 times yesterday, 2 of those chances were bread and butter chances. 2 points dropped yesterday. If Howard gets lambasted for costing us points, Lukaku can. It's not like we played poorly and bored out a 0-0... we dominated for the most part and the finishing let us down.

`If ross keeps putting him in he will score` well so would any striker, what is he doing to make something happen for his self or the team, not a lot. Half arsed challenges no aerial threat and a can't be bothered attitude. If everyone is happy with guy leading the line for club fine, I would prefer someone with some passion to play for everton like the whole of team yesterday to play upfront until he get's the message that you can't coast when you play in the prem.

Shame he hasn't been scoring.. We need big Rom back in form.
Games like Watford and Swansea would have been wins as compared to the typical Everton draws.
That's how you make CL. A striker that scores winners.
C'mon fella, get that scoring mojo back..

I'd start him from the bench against WBA just so he knows he hasn't performed well enough. He needs to be one of the players who shows up in the Derby if we're gonna win that

His consistency won't improve until his place in the team is under threat. He turns up each week knowing he will be selected regardless of the previous performance. Of course that's not his fault but surely that must play a factor. Lukaku said himself that being dropped last season ( around December I think) motivated him to kick on, gave him a kick up the hoop. Same pattern again, doing a bare minimum and showing up when he can be arsed.

He was played in 3 times yesterday, 2 of those chances were bread and butter chances. 2 points dropped yesterday. If Howard gets lambasted for costing us points, Lukaku can. It's not like we played poorly and bored out a 0-0... we dominated for the most part and the finishing let us down.

Sadly spot on. Appalling finishing Saturday. The one off the line he had to do better. The one where Williams slid and blocked, fair enough great block but Rom took too long and even the shot was going straight at Fabianski despite him having either side to aim at.

I suppose the good thing is he got a few of those chances which we never seen much last season. If he gets those chances consistently he'll surely start bagging.

True this mate, if them chances had fell to good old Naismith, 3 points for Everton!

Last week and this week he shoots and then stops running, consequently he never gets in for rebounds or poor clearances.

also, his movement for Ross on Saturday, 2 or 3 times Ross broke and was waiting for Rom to move but he just ran in a straight line.

it's as if we have gone back a year in his development.

He played very well against Chelsea as well mate, if your going to be unbiased and judge him on his performance overall

I agree that with the chances he had on the weekend he could have had a hat trick. Williams was playing brilliantly against him, but there were those clear chances where you expect him to finish them. That's not based on his price, that's based on him being a good player who should have done better. While he may not have got up to speed yet it might be best for those throwing around statistics about the last few games to recognize that they include matches against Chelsea and City, teams who finished first and second in the league last year with superb defensive records respectively. Spurs and Swansea are no pushovers either, once we get through the first ten games I fully expect him to batter the lower half teams with impunity.

This thread is amazing.

The lad has 1 bad game and people are talking about dropping him or turning him into a super sub.

Actually that wouldnt be a bad idea, a few of you need to watch Kone leading the line for a few games, you would be begging for Lukaku after that.

Pray that he never gets injured and is able to play every game.

Pray to every God you know.

I think we need to look at what Lukaku brings to the team. He is a target man , he brings pace and power and defenders can never afford to ignore him.

He is not in particular a clever player, and he is not(at the moment) a great finisher. He will continue to improve , but at 22 and quite experienced there are times when you would hope for more from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back