Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's played himself out of form. He was awful tonight but thing is he's always liable to smash in a brace then go on a mad scoring run. Hopefully with the derby coming up he chooses his timing well.

Last season he was let off with some poor performances as the team behind him wasn't creating much. It's different this season so likewise he will be expected to push on and score more goals.

How many "lazy" shouts did he get tonight from the UKIP types?

Think with their backline not going much further than the edge of the penalty box didnt help him.
He struggles sometimes when teams play deep and dont stick to tight to him, which will happen again against pulis' man beasts.
Need to work out a way to either pull the defence out or a way of using rom when it does sit deep

But as a footballer you don't pass to team-mates who are stood static and surrounded by opposition players. If, as some say, Rom prefers balls to run on to then the move has to start with his movement off the ball, and even then he needs to stay onside.

I've been frustrated with him for a while, but in all honesty we don't have a lot of other choices.
Agree pal. Interesting to hear if he was making runs at all off the ball that cameras didn't pick up. I wasn't at the game so no idea. Been at games where seen him making runs n not get the ball. Watch the highlights on TV n looks completely different.

Will go through periods where he is unplayable against and periods where it all goes wrong, like most forwards do - even the best of them (Messi and Ronaldo apart), good to see that he doesn't let his head drop though and being annoyed at himself is a positive too, will start slotting for fun soon enough

I know he is a 20 goal a season type but his goals seem to come in patches. I think he will get more consistent but we need a second striker, Kone seems to be going backwards again

In the past when he was playing poorly he always had a goal in him. At the moment I just don't see it, his whole game stinks. His movement is awful, his control well that's always been crap and his link up play is all over the place.

Needs to step, especially if he wants to be as good as he thinks he is.

Against the grain but I think he's been playing ok just his finishing hasn't been great so far. Had a couples of good chances vs Swansea and didn't get his shots right.

I think his link up play and awareness of other players around him has been a lot better so far this season. He hasn't given the ball away or lost control of it easy like he did so much last season. He's still one of the worst players at challenging for the ball in the air, especially for someone so tall, but other than that I don't think he's playing that bad and the goals will come.

We need to play to his strengths more- keep him on the last man and getting in the channels. The boy is quick and string and can finish we just need him further up teh pitch more often as hes not the best in the build up play and can invariably lose the ball or mis control.

in this day and age of one striker you can't afford to have a leading man with poor touch/hold up play. all the moves break down around that focal point.

it's strange cos i dont remember his touch being so poor in his first season on loan with us, maybe just selective memory

He's a 22 year old footballer, like all 22 year old footballers his form will fluctuate over the course of a season.

Exactly. He's not performing at the moment and does still have a lot to learn. His previous coach at Anderlecht said he had aspects of his game that needed to be improved but they couldn't give him the time as his goal scoring was keeping him in the team. He'll come good again as he's done in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back