Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was our most important player last season. We'll be lucky to keep him. People's sensitivity regarding his comments and the obsession with his attitude can't hide that he is the best striker we've had in the last 20 years. (Runs)

I wouldn't argue against him being our best striker in the last twenty years.

But that is a pretty hollow accolade given we have not been particularly well gifted in that are during tha time.

Go back to the previous twenty and he wouldn't rate in the top three or four though :)

Benteke, bony, pelle, -etc- the avaliable and realistic options that we could buy are all considerably worse than lukaku. So even with his attitude I'd be very happy to see lukaku stay with 100k per week contract upgrade.

Only a Lacazette, aubamayang or similar big signing would be better than lukaku.
Any one of them partnered with Rom would terrify defences.

"...when held to a higher standard, the imperfections in his game are still too visible for him to be considered genuinely elite."

"... any technical directors watching on Sunday night will have filled their notepads with asterisks and caveats: that was not what a secure £60m investment looks like."

"...Making this kind of argument always sounds like a personal attack. It’s not. Lukaku is very talented. The trouble, however, lies in the difference between how he sees himself and how the rest of the world views him – and, ultimately, how that shapes his behaviour. All modern footballers have a degree of entitlement – how could they not given their fame and wealth – but Lukaku seems to have become particularly detached from his realities."

Lukaku is good, but is he the game-changer that makes the difference in the big games?...the striker that almosts single-handedly takes the games by the scruff of the neck, when it matters most, and propels you from, say, 6th or 7th place to 4th or more? No! Maybe in future or maybe not.

I would still have him at the club (with another good striker, who is more consistent, as he blows hot and cold). I would still love to have his 20 goals against lesser opposition.

Some people will get their knickers in a twist as if their opinions are gospel, but that's life and that's what forums are all about:D

...that 'microscope on Lukaku' mirrors my take on him.
And for all the "yeah, but he bags us goals' apologists, you all need to give your collective heads a good shake.

He's an upstart, a 'true finisher' neophyte, wasting more chances than he nets.
Him and his hollow drum, echo chamber shill of a father, and his grasping agent,need to give their heads a shake as well

The Prodigal Son parable teaches forgiveness

And I'll extend Lukaku similar

....but he has to earn it : not with goals per se...but by commitment

And for all those who'll just hand 'mended bridge' out for the price of a few goals? ...you're completely missing the whole damned gig

Welcome to the Brave New World of mercenary football?

Not for me, thanks.

Ye, fair article.

"He is still learning how to play his position and how to extract the most from his physical and technical attributes."

Ha, what are they? I like him but his technique makes me feel sick. Functional, but ugly player. His goal against Chelsea was brilliant but not pleasing on the eye.

Same with his penalties that do go in. If you compare the way he strikes to a ball to someone like Baines, its not pretty.

Ye, fair article.

"He is still learning how to play his position and how to extract the most from his physical and technical attributes."

Ha, what are they? I like him but his technique makes me feel sick. Functional, but ugly player. His goal against Chelsea was brilliant but not pleasing on the eye.

Same with his penalties that do go in. If you compare the way he strikes to a ball to someone like Baines, its not pretty.

What??? I've read some guff in my time but are we now saying When Lukaku kicks a ball it's ugly?? Really?? :Blink:

He was our most important player last season. We'll be lucky to keep him. People's sensitivity regarding his comments and the obsession with his attitude can't hide that he is the best striker we've had in the last 20 years. (Runs)

Short version; best of a bad bunch

not a big over riding reason to keep him, playing as he has been/is for the Belgies

needs to pull finger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back