Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we might find it difficult, to replicate his goals. But if we got goals from around the rest of the team and a striker with a decent scoring record. Say 15 league goals which is

luk.webp

bear.webp

Yes we might find it difficult, to replicate his goals. But if we got goals from around the rest of the team and a striker with a decent scoring record. Say 15 league goals which is

Reminds me of when we had lineker who scored 40 goals in a season....we won nothing. Next season we share the goals around and we win the league. A bit simplistic I know but maybe just maybe we relied on Lukaku a bit too much over the last few seasons rather than working on other players getting further up and involved. Just maybe too reliant on Lukaku.

It's an interesting question. But often when these questions are asked it's without the consideration of what will replace him. If he stays great, if he goes and we get 2 thirty million pound players to replace him? Not so bad.

The game has changed IMO you win with a mixture of talent and players wanting to be at the club, the league is infected with massively wealthy men who may very well be extremely talented, but have they ALL got the hunger for success. The more we can find with desire to play for the shirt the better.

A hungry Lukaku is and will be fantastic, a Lukaku looking to leave = From Arsenal at home onwards.

I'd prefer the former but fear the latter.

The thing is Ian, what does £30m get you now? This summer could see a club spending £25m on Troy Deeney. Lukaku is a 1 in 2 striker, we've got him on the books, why sell him if you don't have to?

I'm not always convinced that wealth automatically dilutes the drive for success. It will for some, like Walcott and Wilshere, but the top tier of players are on money well beyond the average premier league salary and are still relentless in their pursuit of improvement.

Let's be honest, Lukaku wasn't the only player to down tools a couple of weeks after Chelsea. McCarthy was absolutely pathetic, the away game at Palace he may as well not have been there. The only difference is that he hasn't gone out doing interviews; but he was very happy for his name to be bandied about via his agent when he wanted a new deal after his first season here.

Everton have clearly told Lukaku the conditions for his departure; get someone to pay us £60m+ and we won't turn it down, or you stay and do your job. We're currently lumbered with about five players who we'd have to sell at a loss even if they decide to give up massively over inflated deals here. Kone won't be saying "I want to leave to be a number one choice somewhere else", he'll be sitting there laughing his nuts off safe for a few more seasons yet.

The thing is Ian, what does £30m get you now? This summer could see a club spending £25m on Troy Deeney. Lukaku is a 1 in 2 striker, we've got him on the books, why sell him if you don't have to?

I'm not always convinced that wealth automatically dilutes the drive for success. It will for some, like Walcott and Wilshere, but the top tier of players are on money well beyond the average premier league salary and are still relentless in their pursuit of improvement.

Let's be honest, Lukaku wasn't the only player to down tools a couple of weeks after Chelsea. McCarthy was absolutely pathetic, the away game at Palace he may as well not have been there. The only difference is that he hasn't gone out doing interviews; but he was very happy for his name to be bandied about via his agent when he wanted a new deal after his first season here.

Everton have clearly told Lukaku the conditions for his departure; get someone to pay us £60m+ and we won't turn it down, or you stay and do your job. We're currently lumbered with about five players who we'd have to sell at a loss even if they decide to give up massively over inflated deals here. Kone won't be saying "I want to leave to be a number one choice somewhere else", he'll be sitting there laughing his nuts off safe for a few more seasons yet.
Agreed, but on Lukaku, we have to judge what is the best and worst case scenario. He's barely got a sweat on since Chelsea, yet prior to that he did really well this season, the season before he scored 10 goals (8 from open play). Afully focused Lukaku for a 50 game domestic season is the absoloute ideal, he comes with a guarentee of goals, but like Neville Southall said 'If a player doesn't want to be here, let him go'

Now from all of Lukaku's soundbites it seems he doesn't want to be here, it was clear to me from the interview he did with BT Sport prior to the Arsenal game.

He can be a top drawer striker, the best we have had in the PL era, but only when he wants to be.

But I'm with you, if Koeman can get him 'wanting' to stay and we invest £100+ million elsewhere then great, we keep him against his will, then he is no use.

Agreed, but on Lukaku, we have to judge what is the best and worst case scenario. He's barely got a sweat on since Chelsea, yet prior to that he did really well this season, the season before he scored 10 goals (8 from open play). Afully focused Lukaku for a 50 game domestic season is the absoloute ideal, he comes with a guarentee of goals, but like Neville Southall said 'If a player doesn't want to be here, let him go'

Now from all of Lukaku's soundbites it seems he doesn't want to be here, it was clear to me from the interview he did with BT Sport prior to the Arsenal game.

He can be a top drawer striker, the best we have had in the PL era, but only when he wants to be.

But I'm with you, if Koeman can get him 'wanting' to stay and we invest £100+ million elsewhere then great, we keep him against his will, then he is no use.

It depends what "here" is. Everton or the premier league generally, ah well, pay us what we want and that's sound. I'd argue that he - like most Everton players last year - didn't want to be at an Everton side with Martinez in charge of it, and who could blame them? Sure, the likes of Snivelley and McCarthy weren't arsed, play as terrible as they liked and still get picked the next week. But even fan favourite Baines was openly rolling his eyes at the manager's instructions and former teacher's pet Jagielka was caught on the tunnel camera having a few words. Everyone hated it .

Now everyone gets to play under a top tier manager with the promise of some high quality team mates coming in. Plus if you stay and do well you'll either get that European footy you so crave or get a new contract not restricted by the previous wage structure.

For anything other than that eye-watering £65m Everton would be mental to sell Lukaku this summer; same for Stones (arguably him even more so). You've got three or four players to build the team around, just support them with quality motivated players.

It depends what "here" is. Everton or the premier league generally, ah well, pay us what we want and that's sound. I'd argue that he - like most Everton players last year - didn't want to be at an Everton side with Martinez in charge of it, and who could blame them? Sure, the likes of Snivelley and McCarthy weren't arsed, play as terrible as they liked and still get picked the next week. But even fan favourite Baines was openly rolling his eyes at the manager's instructions and former teacher's pet Jagielka was caught on the tunnel camera having a few words. Everyone hated it .

Now everyone gets to play under a top tier manager with the promise of some high quality team mates coming in. Plus if you stay and do well you'll either get that European footy you so crave or get a new contract not restricted by the previous wage structure.

For anything other than that eye-watering £65m Everton would be mental to sell Lukaku this summer; same for Stones (arguably him even more so). You've got three or four players to build the team around, just support them with quality motivated players.
enjoyed that bit, it was very anti-Martinez ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back