Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
But who said they must be top class? My points was that I'd expect at least three strikers who are capable of challenging in the Premier League.

Last year we only had Rom who I'd say was a capable forward of anywhere near PL standard across the year. Koné? Let's not start on Niasse.

Naismith would have probably made it two yet he was allowed to leave. The season before we only had the sulking Eto'o for a few months as well.

You are making my point, Phil.

We are an unsuccessful, middle of the table team (breaks my heart having to type those words :().

We would not be able to keep the class of player you allude to, short of top class but much better than the names you mention, content to be sitting on the bench week after week as things have pertained over the last couple of seasons.

Even in Moyes's best years, the squad was paper thin and the first XI virtually picked itself.

It is a sad state of affairs.

Which is very dangerous, spent some time reading a Chelsea forum last night, they seem to think theres a very good chance that Costa is leaving and they will replace him with Lukaku.

Yup mate, but as all the Costa leaving rumours are about him going back to Athletico, and as they have just yesterday singed Gameiro from Sevilla for 30m i don't see how the story holds up

We would not be able to keep the class of player you allude to, short of top class but much better than the names you mention, content to be sitting on the bench week after week as things have pertained over the last couple of seasons.
I genuinely think we could retain someone but for whatever reason, be it financial constraints or focus on other areas, we've not done so.

Other teams around us of similar stature have usually had many more attacking options (at least of a semi-reasonable calibre) than we have.

Therefore, that's why I believe (only my opinion of course) it has been and still is feasible - even more so now we've got money in our pockets.

Southampton for example, while under under Koeman, had the options of Pelle, Jay Rodriguez and Shane Long. Not better quality yet more depth.

Liverpool had Sturridge, Ings, Origi and Benteke - again depth. West Ham had the likes of Carroll, Sakho and Valencia before going to others.

Could say the same with Stoke. I'm not advocating that they're all amazing players who I'd want, but at least they've got some depth in the area.

For whatever reason however, we've simply not seen the need to have different options up front that you could realistically at least rely on.

Never understood why Martinez binned Naismith off for example and then brought in the unproven Niasse - it simply exacerbated it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back