Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone offers us 65m take the money and run. could get a player that scores similar amount of goals and contributes nothing to the team for half that.
fair enough he has the tools to be so much more but his hold up play etc has barely improved since he was 18.
he could be the best striker in the world in 5 years but equally could be a belgian jermaine defoe

Apart from the most amount of goals in a premier league season for us ever?

I did find it quite strange that in the match thread last night, during a pretty woeful display, our lone striker playing in a rubbish 10 man team was getting the brunt of the criticism. Why direct anger at our top scorer? He has been the only positive this season, and will still be sold for a fortune.
I understand what you mean and to a degree, i agree.

Without Rom we'd be nothing etc etc, he really has been the only positive this season.

BUT...

It doesn't give me a free pass for the rest of the season, i don't do a great project in work then decide, i'm putting my feet up now. It's his job to play football. If he truly wants to be the greatest and at the highest level, he's in for a shock if he thinks he can decide when he's done enough.

The last 3 maybe 4 games have been disgraceful from a lot of players, and Rom is right there at the top. Walking around like the cat that invaded the pitch at Goodison.

I did find it quite strange that in the match thread last night, during a pretty woeful display, our lone striker playing in a rubbish 10 man team was getting the brunt of the criticism. Why direct anger at our top scorer? He has been the only positive this season, and will still be sold for a fortune.
Hes simply not looked arsed since his comments weeks ago, doesn't matter how many goals hes scored, his effort has been pathetic

anyone offers us 65m take the money and run. could get a player that scores similar amount of goals and contributes nothing to the team for half that.
fair enough he has the tools to be so much more but his hold up play etc has barely improved since he was 18.
he could be the best striker in the world in 5 years but equally could be a belgian jermaine defoe

Blank+_1775a31e2f6ac2ce532f187a33509f06.jpg

I understand what you mean and to a degree, i agree.

Without Rom we'd be nothing etc etc, he really has been the only positive this season.

BUT...

It doesn't give me a free pass for the rest of the season, i don't do a great project in work then decide, i'm putting my feet up now. It's his job to play football. If he truly wants to be the greatest and at the highest level, he's in for a shock if he thinks he can decide when he's done enough.

The last 3 maybe 4 games have been disgraceful from a lot of players, and Rom is right there at the top. Walking around like the cat that invaded the pitch at Goodison.

I honestly don't think it's lack of effort. Players obviously play their best stuff when they are inspired and motivated, when they have something to prove. At the moment, he isn't really any of those. The problem being that his work is done in front of goal. We aren't creating chances. He isn't a workhorse type CF who should be running every lose ball down to the ground, he does need good service, and when he gets it he usually scores. Not like he's been missing sitters or anything. The system is letting him down at the moment.

Hes simply not looked arsed since his comments weeks ago, doesn't matter how many goals hes scored, his effort has been pathetic

The guy has been trying to create his own chances for a number of weeks now, like his goal against Chelsea. Hes there to be given to ball to score goals, that just isn't happening.

That would require effort, of which he has shown none

My point is that he shouldn't be having to. He's played pretty much every game this season, and when things go to plan, when the team are playing well, he scores. That's what he's there to do. Loads of his goals this season have been made and scored by him, we have become used to it and expect him to score most games. Problem is, you can only do that if you're absolutely driven, at the top of your game and determined to do something. Can you really blame him for not being at the moment, in this team?

My point is that he shouldn't be having to. He's played pretty much every game this season, and when things go to plan, when the team are playing well, he scores. That's what he's there to do. Loads of his goals this season have been made and scored by him, we have become used to it and expect him to score most games. Problem is, you can only do that if you're absolutely driven, at the top of your game and determined to do something. Can you really blame him for not being at the moment, in this team?
Of course he has to, it's a team game and nothing excuses him from doing the off the ball work.

The same crap get spooled out for Ross, 'oh but when he's playing well he creates an does this..' That doesn't mean that they can trot around in their own little world and not challenge for things or look remotley arsed

Of course he has to, it's a team game and nothing excuses him from doing the off the ball work.

The same crap get spooled out for Ross, 'oh but when he's playing well he creates an does this..' That doesn't mean that they can trot around in their own little world and not challenge for things or look remotley arsed

I just think the problem is more systematic, and that should be the focus of our criticism rather than individual players work rate. We know how good Lukaku can be, and it's obvious why he's not delivering at the moment - as it is most of our team.

The guy has been trying to create his own chances for a number of weeks now, like his goal against Chelsea. Hes there to be given to ball to score goals, that just isn't happening.
I agree that the service has been poor quite a lot of the time. But even when he gets it, he doesn't look bothered mate. Since he's spoken about CL his mind seems to be elsewhere. Sulking around the pitch looking disinterested. Love him, he's my favourite player...but right now i'd rather see a youth player given a go until Wembley.

I'd rather see our kids play with a bit of grit and passion than the majority of them out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back