Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lad doesn't try a leg and that's no-ones fault but his own. He gets marked out of games because he stands still, offers nothing outside the box and forward moves break down and that puts us under enormous pressure.
You been on the sauce early? He's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and there are elements that do concern me regarding his game.

Nor am I naive to where he could improve: he does moan an awful lot; he can appear to lumber about aimlessly; he can't trap a ball.

Yet, we've gone from servicing Rom's unquestionable goal scoring talent in his first season to a point where we do not support him adequately.

If we're not lumping it up to him with nobody close (bar Valencia recently) then our midfield are tepidly trying passes that are often far too late.

As a result, I can actually begin to understand why he would be frustrated - it's not totally excusable but we do not play to his clear strengths.

I do not doubt in the slightest that if we actually managed to provide him with suitable opportunities (quality and quantity) he'd bang them in.

But we don't... I dread to think what people expect to happen if we replaced him with a striker of less ability and proficiency in front of goal.

I'm gonna leave it now because it's the season of good will to all men and that but why is it everyone elses responsibility to put in a shift and not Rom?. The midfield has to work harder yet he's allowed to cover the least amount of distance than every other player in the whole premier league?. Under immense pressure the other night and rather than stick his chest out and start knocking fellas about he strolls around pointing and flapping when a pass isnt inch perfect. Even the commentator was on him for walking along when we were out wide left. Instead of looking around he needs to look at himself and ask "Did I do enough" and there's no way on Monday night he could have honestly said yes.
The simple answer is that we aren't Real Madrid. We have a player who, ability wise, is at least 1 if not 2 levels above the current status of our club. When you have a player like that you either pander to him, or sell him so you can buy 2 hard-working centre forwards who will score 5 goals a season each.

You been on the sauce early? He's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and there are elements that do concern me regarding his game.

Nor am I naive to where he could improve: he does moan an awful lot; he can appear to lumber about aimlessly; he can't trap a ball.

Yet, we've gone from servicing Rom's unquestionable goal scoring talent in his first season to a point where we do not support him adequately.

If we're not lumping it up to him with nobody close (bar Valencia recently) then our midfield are tepidly trying passes that are often far too late.

As a result, I can actually begin to understand why he would be frustrated - it's not totally excusable but we do not play to his clear strengths.

I do not doubt in the slightest that if we actually managed to provide him with suitable opportunities (quality and quantity) he'd bang them in.

But we don't... I dread to think what people expect to happen if we replaced him with a striker of less ability and proficiency in front of goal.

Sometimes you have to lump a few balls just to break the pressure/press. However I think we are just doing it wrong. I don't think Rom likes the ball lumped at his feet because you know the ball usually careems off those flippers and lands somewhere in the future. However, he always almost gives a thumbs up to the mid when they lump it over his head into the flanks where he could run at hit. If anything it would give the mids more time to get forward.

Tell me if I'm wrong here, but, with the whole FFP thing, if we give Rom a pay rise to say £500kpw, while knowing he'd be gone in 6 months time, that would effectively carry £12m of the Stones money over till the next window, bypassing FFP, and adding to it further with any sale of Rom.... basically speeding up the improvement....

Tell me if I'm wrong here, but, with the whole FFP thing, if we give Rom a pay rise to say £500kpw, while knowing he'd be gone in 6 months time, that would effectively carry £12m of the Stones money over till the next window, bypassing FFP, and adding to it further with any sale of Rom.... basically speeding up the improvement....

No mate, because the STCC regs are season 2015/16 + £7m + increase in non broadcasting revenues for 2016/17, 2015/16 + £14m + increase in non broadcasting revenues for 2017/18 etc.

For Rom, I would see where the club is at next January. If we aren't competing for top 4, he should have every right to leave. Moshiri needs to roll out the dough in the next two windows so we can keep him here. Too many areas need improvement on the pitch.

Reactions: DRM
No mate, because the STCC regs are season 2015/16 + £7m + increase in non broadcasting revenues for 2016/17, 2015/16 + £14m + increase in non broadcasting revenues for 2017/18 etc.

Ah so the base will always be 2015/16. Thought it was just £7m extra every year. So basically, unless we spend this window, we've lost a chunk of the Stones money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back