Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
What your saying is true but is too heavily weighted to the purely financial aspects. Losing Lukaku would be a major blow and would compromise our progress going into next season. There are no comparable goal scorers who would be available to us in the PL. Would it not make more sense for us to bring in someone like Larin ,as an example, and allow him a season to come up to speed in the PL whilst retaining Lukaku for the extra season.? This would allow us to maintain our progress. Otherwise we would have to scrabble round for a lower quality striker and/or change our style of play entirely.
After all whilst the financial side is undoubtedly important, what happens on the pitch is what it's all about,surely?
That's if we are genuinely ambitious of course.

In an ideal world I would agree but the time lines in terms of delivering that ambition are some way off and with the constraints of FFP both versions it's at what point that delivery is even feasible. Unfortunately finances will determine what happens on the pitch.
Admittedly I haven't done a deep dive into the accounts and the implications of the investment to date but how much room is there to do an awful lot more till commercial and or gate receipts grow?bearing in mind the PL self imposed wage cap?
Let's face it for whatever reasons the last two transfer window spends have been mostly financed by the sale of JS any real investment to date has done no more than pay of long term debt and The FF sponsorship probably just about paid off the sums involved in the change on manager and the new shirt deal will still be nowhere near the top 4-5 clubs.

Right, let's just ignore that Rom got us into the semi final by single handedly demolishing Chelsea, it's not his fault that we lost at Wembley. He missed a few chances, it happens. He was still the biggest threat we carried all game. We lost that game because we were grossly unfit, and had Gibson and Besic in the back 4 ffs.

He doesn't score as many in the big games because so often we get stuck in our own half and give him no service at all. Take Tottenham away for example, we got him the ball in a good area once in the entire game. Goal.

Daft to suggest he is a flat track bully. Scored in 4 games against Man City, 3 goals against Liverpool, ripped through Arsenal in that crunch game for 4th place, has scored a hattrick against Man United for WBA...

If the team give him a platform and don't get completely pinned back in our half, then he is guaranteed goals no matter who we are playing. If we match Liverpool in every other department, he'll win it for us.

To be fair we also lost that game because he insisted on taking a penalty and missed it!That was a poor Chelsea team last season as well but i do see your point overall.

Spooky Jamie redknapp just said exactly what I was thinking. Never thought I'd agree with anything that spice boy had to say. Really hope all the top cl teams are watching to see how lukaku effects big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back