Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep, we may have good individual players but the RS play much better as a team (not against the likes of Burnley obviously)

well, their front 3 do, don't know about the rest of the team, probably because they're all a bit crap, but a chasm of difference between their front 3 and ours.

All 3 of barkley, mirallas and lukaku were continually guilty of passing when they should have taken it on and then going alone when they needed to get their head up. Barkley and lukaku are not a partnership, neither play with their head up, both play with their head down and then that turns to greed. I want us to bring in that attacking mid and have ross as a dangerman running from deep, which will see us deadly on the counter attack.

Doing more harm than good atm.

These reports of not getting on with Coleman and now that footage coming out. Probably is thinking to himself right now about how bad his teammates were whilst also thinking he was world class and can't wait to play in the CL.

Sell now.

So bored of Rom to be honest. Talks a great game as though he's destined for the top. Don't get me wrong he can score, and has done so with great regularity for us but can't do it against the top/big teams, is lazy and thinks he's bigger than the club.

Would be delighted if we had a player with 50% of his ability and 200% of his effort

People should be arsed though, as when he doesn't turn up - which is often - then the entire team suffers.

At least with a less talented goalscorer but more able footballer you can have a degree of consistency with how the team plays as a whole. With Lukaku, you never do, because you don't know whether he's going to absolutely demolish a team or go on a ten game run of doing next to nothing.

For teams, I prefer long term performances and mentality over one-off wins - hence why I can genuinely say I wouldn't have been impressed with three points today because of the manner we set out to do it; you don't win titles being that negative for that long. It's the same with Lukaku - long term performances vastly outweigh pure goal output, because performance effects the effectiveness of the 9 other outfield players on the pitch.
And they are arsed when he doesn't show up. Scoring goals is seen as showing up, despite what he accomplishes or produces for the rest of the match.Wrightly or wrongly that's how he's judged. He's performing a specific role, up top on his own.

Like how keepers are judged by how few they concede, Lukaku as a lone striker is judged mainly on how many he's scoring.I definitely agree he could be a more complete player.

It is funny going back through the vaults of this thread as some of us were unsure he was worth the money rumored after the initial loan season because his all-around play was pretty terrible. I think the fact that he's been scoring goals consistently more than anyone Evertonians have seen since the false dawns of 6 months of Jelavic, and a year of The Yak, has bought him a lot of good will.

Some days he does my head in, he can be detrimental to the team performance at times. Some of those times he might even pop up with a goal despite everything bouncing off of him for 89 minutes. He scores goals though and we waited a long time for someone who could do that. We've tried a lot of systems now to get the most out of Lukaku as a player because he is a real goal threat and goals are good. We have to change the systems to get the most out of Lukaku, because he is limited in how he can affect the game. He is poor at winning the ball in the air with his back to goal, despite being a physical match for most center backs in the league. His touch and hold up play, while they've improved since his early loan spell, still see him turning over the ball. This seems to happen no matter how much support he gets, whether it be another striker or Ross playing off of him. He's not playing passes to play other players through either, and strikers are greedy by nature. His dribbling is actually pretty decent despite his sometimes awful touch. Can't knock him for scoring consistently though.

Koeman's negative, direct style is an attempt to get him more chances without risking the defensive frailties exposed by over-committing players forward to support him. Yeah, we're not playing pretty football. It is effective at the moment and I think it reflects Koeman's desire to maximize the ability of Lukaku to get us up the league an support his own ambitions in a post-Lukaku world. He's top goal scorer and we're in 7th at the moment, we haven't improved our league performance since his loan and he's improved as a player so if he wants to go and no amount of money we're offering is going to keep him here then so be it. We have a lot of positions to fill with quality players in the summer, and with Europa League to come into the schedule Koeman will have the chance to shape the squad with more of his personnel. From what we've seen of Koeman he'll adapt the tactics and formation to reflect the players on the pitch.

Anyone who thought we were keeping Lukaku here beyond this contract is far more optimistic than I am. He was always clear about using us as a stepping stone. I'm not bothered about him going too much because it was always going to happen and we're coming out of it with a massive profit no matter what happens. He's been a bright spark during two dull Martinez years, and really is the best thing Martinez did for us.

To also reply to @kenada_blue, there's no doubt Kane's hold up play is better than Lukaku's and his contribution in starting moves by simply not being dispossessed as often in those situations helps Spurs team more than Lukaku currently helps us, but clearly Lukaku's not lacking in the ability to create chances, either to score for himself or for others and his contribution beyond scoring goals is often played down to the point of being unfair. His assist record is all the more impressive given the fact we've not had a decent second goalscorer at the club in his time here, unlike Spurs in the last few years.

Oh absolutely.

But we're having to put into the context of that he wants to bugger off and play for a "top club" so he'll be criticised for some actual basics of his role.

Running at defenders and slotting facing the goal... Truly one of the best in Europe.

Back to goal, his game is nowhere near even Aruna Kone level.

Patience wearing a bit thin with him now. No denying he is a boss slotter when he can be arsed. But something is just not right with him.

Doing more harm than good atm.

These reports of not getting on with Coleman and now that footage coming out. Probably is thinking to himself right now about how bad his teammates were whilst also thinking he was world class and can't wait to play in the CL.

Sell now.
LOL I missed this. He really is making life difficult for himself

Watching zlatan tonight showed me that strikers do pass and bring other people into the game, and he's got the biggest ego in football. Lukaku just played for himself tonight

There are pros and cons of him leaving or staying. We don't know what Koeman has in mind? Is he bigging him up so we can try and get top dollar or have we got enough money to get 3 or 4 top class players in next season to challenge for top 4.

All I can say is- Lukaku is hurting his own stock. He wants a big move and I'm totally fine with that. However, every time you make these comments and you have a massive dip in form, questions will be asked. People will question your mentality, and in the current landscape everyone lives in the now. People don't care what you did the past few months. Can you do it for the entire season and avoid controversy such as this? Can you play through periods where everyone is questioning how good you are as a player and whether you deserve to go to a Real Madrid or a Barca? He is shooting himself in the foot and it's a shame. I wish him well with whatever happens, but it's a damned shame. It didn't have to be a messy goodbye.

Oh absolutely.

But we're having to put into the context of that he wants to bugger off and play for a "top club" so he'll be criticised for some actual basics of his role.

Running at defenders and slotting facing the goal... Truly one of the best in Europe.

Back to goal, his game is nowhere near even Aruna Kone level.

I don't really have a problem with people saying he mightn't make it at a Chelsea, Real Madrid etc. That's barely even criticism as they have world class forwards and that's what they demand in their striker. It'd be a huge ask for him. I've always thought he has, at times, often been overly harshly criticised for his weaknesses though. I think for Evertonians it comes from annoyance at his open ambition and the fact we clearly can't match it in the short-term and for the media it comes from having to explain why he hasn't yet left Everton. Every touch he had tonight had to be commented on, good or bad (many were very good touches) and he's scrutinised more than any player I've ever seen at Everton.

Looking like the rest of the team are starting to lose patience with Lukaku. The last two games his performances have been atrocious. If he's downed tools already he needs to be sold in the summer, can't have that individual mindset within the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back