Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see even the Beeb are trying to sell him for us. With a lovely unbiased piece from Danny Murphy of all people.

Can you imagine any site ever publishing a piece by an ex-Everton player trying to flog a Liverpool one? Much less the fecking BBC. It's utterly infuriating.

Murphy is a clueless tool though so thankfully nobody should pay him any notice.

Murphy is a clueless tool though so thankfully nobody should pay him any notice.

Annoyingly the piece itself isn't bad. At least because he's brought those stats about every top striker vs the top 6 into public view, funnily enough Rom looks better than Kane etc there. Puts the flat track bully nonsense to bed.

But the motive behind the article is pathetic. Especially so for the BBC, whose neutrality becomes more of a joke every day. Mind you the special pieces every other day on anything Man United put that to bed a long time ago.

I had to read this Guardian divvy's piece twice to make sure it wasn't a spoof:

"Everton defended and broke superbly against Manchester United on Tuesday night but, though Ashley Williams’s rash handball attracted most of the attention, the game ought to have been over by then. That it was not was down in significant part to Romelu Lukaku’s chronically poor decision-making, on which numerous breaks foundered and which made his on-pitch dismissal of Williams difficult to understand. Impressed as he is with his own magnificence, in nine games against the division’s top six, Lukaku has mustered three goals, of which one was a late consolation. It is true that a flat-track bully is a useful attribute for any side, even those contesting the title, but he is not as invaluable to Everton as he appears to think. Against Leicester on Sunday his credentials will be examined once more. Though the champions are still only 11th in the table, they have won six straight games and are now the country’s most confident side. Lukaku will have far less space than at Old Trafford, which will test his other principal weakness: his touch. He would do well to improve that before publicly demeaning a team-mate whose contribution far exceeded his own." Daniel Harris

"Everton defended and broke superbly against Manchester United on Tuesday night but, though Ashley Williams’s rash handball attracted most of the attention, the game ought to have been over by then. That it was not was down in significant part to Romelu Lukaku’s chronically poor decision-making, on which numerous breaks foundered and which made his on-pitch dismissal of Williams difficult to understand. Impressed as he is with his own magnificence, in nine games against the division’s top six, Lukaku has mustered three goals, of which one was a late consolation. It is true that a flat-track bully is a useful attribute for any side, even those contesting the title, but he is not as invaluable to Everton as he appears to think. Against Leicester on Sunday his credentials will be examined once more. Though the champions are still only 11th in the table, they have won six straight games and are now the country’s most confident side. Lukaku will have far less space than at Old Trafford, which will test his other principal weakness: his touch. He would do well to improve that before publicly demeaning a team-mate whose contribution far exceeded his own." Daniel Harris

What part of that is false?

The bit about the flat track bully. Check out other striker's records against the top six.
If strikers scored lots of goals against the top six clubs they would not be in the top six.
Hope this clarifies the situation.
Here's the stats.

C8rXYwGXkAARsOX.jpg

What part of that is false?
It kicked off with a falsehood: "Everton defended and broke superbly against Man Utd..." Anyone who watched that game knows at least the last part of that sentence is untrue.

Overall, it looks to me like a friendly club journo has been briefed to put the knife into Lukaku as they want to position him as a villain knowing full well now he wont be here next season.

The bit about the flat track bully. Check out other striker's records against the top six.
If strikers scored lots of goals against the top six clubs they would not be in the top six.
Hope this clarifies the situation.

But he is a flat track bully. Not in terms of goals as such, but definitely in terms of performance.

Although granted that quote talks about goals only, but the overall sentiment is correct.

It kicked off with a falsehood: "Everton defended and broke superbly against Man Utd..." Anyone who watched that game knows at least the last part of that sentence is untrue.

Overall, it looks to me like a friendly club journo has been briefed to put the knife into Lukaku as they want to position him as a villain knowing full well now he wont be here next season.

But we did defend and break superbly - the problem was the conversion of the break, not the break itself. Lukaku could have had a hat trick of assists if he wasn't, you know, Lukaku.

Lukaku is now playing for Lukaku, he did the same this time last season and Martinez wasn't brave enough or strong enough to do anything about it. It'll be interesting to see how Koeman handles him.

Do you think he looks impressive against the better sides?

His close control was embarrassing on Tuesday. He made Rojo look like Ricardo Carvalho.

in the first half Lukaku broke we were 1-0 up - he had KM screaming for the ball ten yards out unmarked on the right yet chose to bully his way through on the left running into two defenders losing the ball as he shot - now if he had scored he would have been great , but my son, and I shouted straight away pass the ball it was the way to score 2-0 at half time the game was over!
Its as if he thinks he can do the impossible all the time , but every striker is greedy as they say!

Last edited:
in the first half Lukaku broke we were 1-0 up - he had KM screaming for the ball ten yards out unmarked on the right yeet chose to bully his way through on the left running into two defenders losing the ball as he shot - now if he had scored he would have been great , but my son, and I shouted straight away pass the ball it was the way to score 2-0 at half time the game was over!
Its as if he thinks he can do the impossible all the time , but every striker is greedy as they say!
i think he has his eyes firmly on that golden boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back