Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He got them fighting, massive improvement from recent weeks.

I don't think that was Koeman tbh. This isn't meant to take anything away from him, because he deserves a serious amount of kudos for having the brass set to put that lineup out on the pitch. Credit, too, must go to him for showing faith in the young lad at such a critical point in the game.

The fight came from lads like Coleman and McCarthy and Idrissa, as ever, leading by example. The other players responded to it, the fans responded to it and, most importantly for fans who thought Koeman was just phoning it in, the manager responded to it too. For a minute there, at the end, I could almost swear he enjoyed himself

Some of the teds, who before last night, were calling for his head or cry arseing about he's got a X number of games or he should be sacked, need to go sit in a darkened room and give themselves a month off the internet ffs.

He's going to need time to shape his own side and get them playing the way he wants them to play - on a consistent basis.

He's had 16 league games and we sit in 7th chaps. Hardly a disaster despite some crap results and performances so far this season. He took over a complete shambles, and a group of players who'd been cuddled for 2 years, and lead to believe that half arsed performances were 'phenomenal'. Turning that around both physically and mentally was never going to be a 2 minute task.

The bloke needs the next 2 windows to put his own squad together and create the kind of winning mentality that's been sorely lacking at the club for ages. Last night was a start, but I'm not going to predict that it's a milestone moment, we need to stand back and give the bloke a chance to build something at Goodison.
I said yesterday that while we shouldn't be looking at sacking him immediately, he had to get a win before the turn of the year or he would be in serious trouble. I stand by it.

It's fine saying give someone time but there has to be evidence that they will make it work. I didn't think Koeman had done enough to get the best out of the players, and a run of 1 win in 11 was a shocking run of form. If that had carried on over the next couple of weeks it would have got to the point where you had to wonder whether he would ever be able to turn it around. Thankfully we don't have to worry about that now, but if we slip back into playing how we have been recently then the same concerns will return and people will get on his back again - and so they should. We're not asking him to turn water into wine here, most fans will be happy with a 7th/8th placed finish and a cup run. The last manager was sacked because everybody agreed finishing 11th was underachieving, so basically all we're asking Koeman to do is achieve a par score. I think the idea that he needs 3 years to do that is rather bizarre.

For me.

What Koeman proved last night was that he could actually motivate the players. He got them fighting, massive improvement from recent weeks. It might have been the lights or the TV cameras or whatever reasonings given but the fact is the team cared about fighting Arsenal.

Probably not enough credit is given here either that Koeman's (ok fairly obvious) tactics to beat Arsenal worked as well. Show that sort of fight more often and we can turn this season around which would be a bloody good achievement based on 2 months of results.

finally with the young lad getting on, Koeman showed he is willing to go with the crowd in a game. To bring the lad on with goodison rocking and we were chasing a winner? Perfect time to bring him on, not the best sub we could have made there but the fans certainly wanted him over others brought on and Koeman reacted with that good feeling.

all in all i think i am not the only one with a bit of a change in view based on the team now, and moving forward to monday, we turn up like that and hold firm then you start to believe even just a little bit, we can go and do it, and really kick start the season.

The obvious elephant in the room is where was this motivation and determination for the rest of the games?

Hopefully last night will kick start our season. We had some good results at the start but the performances were still pretty poor. Do for same against the RS (ha!) and who knows what can happen?

The obvious elephant in the room is where was this motivation and determination for the rest of the games?

Hopefully last night will kick start our season. We had some good results at the start but the performances were still pretty poor. Do for same against the RS (ha!) and who knows what can happen?
That is the question yeah, why not before?

but then that is for the next loss i think, few of us expected a result last night so don't want to dwell on the negatives today ;)

I said yesterday that while we shouldn't be looking at sacking him immediately, he had to get a win before the turn of the year or he would be in serious trouble. I stand by it.

It's fine saying give someone time but there has to be evidence that they will make it work. I didn't think Koeman had done enough to get the best out of the players, and a run of 1 win in 11 was a shocking run of form. If that had carried on over the next couple of weeks it would have got to the point where you had to wonder whether he would ever be able to turn it around. Thankfully we don't have to worry about that now, but if we slip back into playing how we have been recently then the same concerns will return and people will get on his back again - and so they should. We're not asking him to turn water into wine here, most fans will be happy with a 7th/8th placed finish and a cup run. The last manager was sacked because everybody agreed finishing 11th was underachieving, so basically all we're asking Koeman to do is achieve a par score. I think the idea that he needs 3 years to do that is rather bizarre.
I never said 3 years, I said the next 2 windows...

The thing is, we were always going to get a result before the end of the year, it's football, you have crap runs, you get a result from nowhere and it turns a bit. People over react, we're not a sacking club, never have been. It'd have to become Mike Walker levels of dire for most to start calling for his head. We were sat in the top half and still Blues were saying he should be axed, or was extremely close to it, which for me was total nonsense.

6 wins mert.
5 draws
5 defeats

xxx

I think what makes the losses appear much worse is the fact that they've often been against teams we really should be beating. I still think we'll struggle until we get a few solid signings in but last night lifted the lid off the pressure cooker, the whole scenario seemed like it would never end. Last night couldn't have come sooner enough. I'm buzzing today.

I never said 3 years, I said the next 2 windows...

The thing is, we were always going to get a result before the end of the year, it's football, you have crap runs, you get a result from nowhere and it turns a bit. People over react, we're not a sacking club, never have been. It'd have to become Mike Walker levels of dire for most to start calling for his head. We were sat in the top half and still Blues were saying he should be axed, or was extremely close to it, which for me was total nonsense.
I'm just talking in general terms mate, not about your post as such. There have been loads of people making out like Koeman took over the worst team ever to play in the premier league and people want him to turn us into 1970 Brazil. It's rubbish, people just don't like prolonged periods of poor results and dire football, which is what we were watching before last night.

I think the idea we've never been a sacking club is laughable to be honest. Tell Roberto that. Or Kendall, Royle, Smith or Walker. I guess there's a generation who just remember Moyes being in the job a long time but that's because he met the board's expectations. When I was a kid, Everton's inability to keep a man in charge for more than 2 years was a running gag, and the famous 'taxi' shouts were rooted in truth. The same principles apply at all clubs. If a manager goes on a long losing streak their job will be in danger. There are businessmen in charge at all of them, they don't tend to take well to failure.

I think the performances over the last couple of seasons have left the fans deflated and it always shows in the fans at the game, which leads to an edgy atmosphere which feeds back to the players who then perform negatively and the spiral goes on.
It was the same yesterday until the fans were inspired from the most unlikely of sources. It happened soon after we went behind and Lukaku for the first time in his life chased several players down one after the other. This lifted the crowd and both Lukaku and the team didn't look back and the atmosphere remained raucous and intimidating until the end.
Perhaps Koeman deserves the credit for succeeding where no-one has before and has finally taught Lukaku that there is more to a game than simply scoring goals. Having two terriers in midfield probably also helped as I thought McCarthy was everywhere last night.

I would give him 3 years but there would have to be an improvement year on year. No good letting it stay like this for 3 years saying it will all come good in the end like some were with Bobby.
Starting point for him is 47 points. Year 1 I would expect no less than 55-60 points. Year 2 65+ points. Year 3 72+ points. I have given my expectations in points as unless you won every game you can't really tell the league position but you have full control over a points target.
If he was to surpass expectations in say year 2 then year 3 expectations would raise. Any good season shouldn't give anyone a free pass the following season.

Could have just been a general and gradual erosion of confidence. We talk about a lack of talent in our squad, but I really don't think that has ever been the case in the last 3 years. Last night was the first time in a long time that a lot of the players showed who they really are.

I have to admit, I've put forward the "downing their tools" argument a lot, but last night, one match though it was, embarrassed me a little. These lads care. If they have downed tools, they have done so through a lack of self-belief that has been no doubt perpetuated by teds like me accusing them of not caring, and teds like Zat accusing Coleman of being a bad player.

Barkley is a microcosm of that. I groaned when he lost possession a couple of times early on, but as soon as the spark was lit, he was involved in every action, tackling, trying things, failing, succeeding etc. Fair enough, he'll never be the first to grab a game by the scruff of the neck, but few players are.

I'm rambling here, just utterly chuffed really

I don't think that was Koeman tbh. This isn't meant to take anything away from him, because he deserves a serious amount of kudos for having the brass set to put that lineup out on the pitch. Credit, too, must go to him for showing faith in the young lad at such a critical point in the game.

The fight came from lads like Coleman and McCarthy and Idrissa, as ever, leading by example. The other players responded to it, the fans responded to it and, most importantly for fans who thought Koeman was just phoning it in, the manager responded to it too. For a minute there, at the end, I could almost swear he enjoyed himself

I am hoping this is a seminal moment, Prev.

Something changed last night.

For the first time since he had been here I found myself warming to Ronald in his after match interviews.

He was enthusiastic and at last appeared awed by our club.

Maybe we are starting to "get" him now.

I particularly loved him singling out Jimmy Mac for praise.

The best thing is the RS are up next so the touch paper which was lit on the Gwladys last night will explode next Monday then we have the Cup tie with Leicester and IIRC league games against Saints and City coming down the pike.....games the crowd will really be up for as well.

The crowd stepped up last night, the players stepped up, the manager stepped up.

And when all three are in harmony there ain't no team we can't beat.

Here's to the rest of the season ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back