Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say if they are hoofing if against his instructions that is even worse than if they were hoofing it as per his instructions, Chris lol

It is just a complete shambles.

But you know what......I am counting the hours down now until tomorrow evening and really looking forward to the game.

And I don't think we will be beaten ;)

COYBB

Looks like you were right khal, I'll admit I was not looking forward to hearing the result. Sounds like the players got a massive shot in the arm.

I couldn't stand these absolute mellons launching and not taking responsibility for their actions, something worked last night by the sounds if it.

A loss with the players showing passion and desire I can accept, I'm made up that they located their bollocks and manned up to the task at hand....and won

Something changed last night.

I hope and believe so. Even the early run of victories and the fairly comprehensive win over West Ham didn't really lift me. The nature of those victories were routine, and the fundamental questions about our team's character never had to be addressed. Last night was different to those wins in every way.

There are two well articulated “sides” to the debate on Koeman currently. One side arguing he should be under pressure for results another that last night has disproved that theory. It probably builds on a more long term debate which questions how far Koeman is to blame for our current poor run of form.

As I said, both sides make valid points in all of this. I think a third position, which most can agree on should be adopted. That is that yes he is not above scrutiny and could have performed better over the last 10 games, but also that any talk of sacking a manager after 6 months and one botched transfer window is premature. He deserves to be given time to build his team to be judged but also while managing other people’s players he could have been more pro-active in getting something out of them.

On a broader point tonight was the first time I watched us and thought “that looks like Koemans team”. We were competitive, aggressive and put a lot of balls into the box (scoring from 2 headers). If you look at my thread from the start of the season I anticipated that to be our strategic approach and for the first time today I thought we replicated his ambition to the standards he would want.

Some lads have given Koeman something to think about beyond just the next game but also beyond January. Primarily McCarthy who I would say was as good as gone before tonight. He pushed him further forward in to a box to box position and this is probably his best position. He is not as clever or good enough football to play in a 2 man pivot, but allow him to use his stamina and ability to press and cover the ground he looks a far better player. In short he looks the player that Spurs wanted to part serious money to bring in.

Barkley is another. I don’t think he was on his way out but I think Koeman was confused what to do with him. He has never looked a natural number 10 to me but looks far happier in himself playing a bit deeper as a midfield player. It’s counter intuitive as the 10 is the free role yet Barkley looks far freer and happier with more responsibility to dictate the pace from deep.

I am digressing slightly, but last night could be a real turning point moment. For Koeman and also for lads like Barkley, Valencia, McCarthy, Coleman, Williams etc. When we play like that, especially at Goodison we are a match for anyone. It is performances like that that have made us all look a bit stupid by saying it’s a squad with top 4 potential. The key has to be consistency.

Koeman showed bravery last night, putting Valencia in and then bringing on Calvert-Lewin and Mirallas. Hopefully that will continue and we can build some momentum going into January.

So hang on a minute, it's Koemans fault if the players have underperformed (as they have done for almost every match for several years now) but Koeman gets no credit when they do preform at a high standard? You can't have it both way mate. The crowd lifted the players because the players lifted the crowd, it just shows what a joint effort between both can create. Everyone was brilliant last night and Koeman deserves credit for his part in that.

yes, and if it was so easy that only the crowd is responsible for the results, then why just dont the crowd cheer on them just as much every game.. ?

yes, and if it was so easy that only the crowd is responsible for the results, then why just dont the crowd cheer on them just as much every game.. ?
It's a sad state of affairs that the atmosphere has declined along with the playing standard. Last night was proof that we as fans don't need the players to play like Barcelona to get us on our feet going crazy. All it takes is dedication, pride, effort and commitment from the players and they'll have the best support going. When they lack passion they shouldn't be surprised to see the crowd also lack passion. Our long suffering fan base have put up with a lack of effort for far to long and that's why Goodison is dead most weeks unfortunately. The good news is that now the players know what they have to do if they want that type of passion from the fans, show it on the pitch and they'll get it in return.

Looks like you were right khal, I'll admit I was not looking forward to hearing the result. Sounds like the players got a massive shot in the arm.

I couldn't stand these absolute mellons launching and not taking responsibility for their actions, something worked last night by the sounds if it.

A loss with the players showing passion and desire I can accept, I'm made up that they located their bollocks and manned up to the task at hand....and won

You know, I am always like that, Chris.

No matter how bad things are going result wise, no matter what disharmony there appears to be in the camp, I wake up every matchday like a child on Christmas morning.

Full of excitement and wonder.....brimming with confidence, hope and expectation.

I can honestly say I have never, ever gone to an Everton game, home or away, believing we would be beaten.

:dance:

What this about Sunday then Esk?

Sorry only just seen this. There was a behind closed doors, clear the air meeting of players and management on Sunday which was very frank but focused on what needed to be done in future games.

After 20-25 mins last night it started to click :).

I'm not going to get carried away, the squad is still as poor as it was last week but at least there was passion and drive and the fear factor disappeared for the final hour.

There was for me the moment in the first half that showed the players cared and were prepared to fight for the cause. Barkley lost the ball and immediately threw in a tackle, followed by either McCarthy or Gueye then followed by either McCarthy or Gueye throwing in another, three very aggressive tackles on the bounce. The crowd was lifted and that in turn lifted the players. That sequence of tackles was the inspiration that was needed to get at Arsenal and knock them off their stride. If that was Koeman's doing - playing a pressing aggressive game - then well done and more of the same on Monday.

Sorry only just seen this. There was a behind closed doors, clear the air meeting of players and management on Sunday which was very frank but focused on what needed to be done in future games.

I'm not going to get carried away, the squad is still as poor as it was last week but at least there was passion and drive and the fear factor disappeared for the final hour.

It was about time there was a players 'clear the air meeting' it couldn't come quick enough for me. The last 3 or 4 games the players have been having a go at each other, on the pitch so I suppose it was only a matter of time before this would happen behind close doors.

I want to see the same team starting (Jags excepted) against the darkness, with the same intensity. They shift the ball quickly like Arsenal, if we can knock them off their stride and show 'no fear', we can win. It's about flippin time.

Whilst I have my suspicions based on the demeanour of certain players last night, are there any rumours reaching your ears about anyone in particular saying anything in particular?

There are two well articulated “sides” to the debate on Koeman currently. One side arguing he should be under pressure for results another that last night has disproved that theory. It probably builds on a more long term debate which questions how far Koeman is to blame for our current poor run of form.

As I said, both sides make valid points in all of this. I think a third position, which most can agree on should be adopted. That is that yes he is not above scrutiny and could have performed better over the last 10 games, but also that any talk of sacking a manager after 6 months and one botched transfer window is premature. He deserves to be given time to build his team to be judged but also while managing other people’s players he could have been more pro-active in getting something out of them.

On a broader point tonight was the first time I watched us and thought “that looks like Koemans team”. We were competitive, aggressive and put a lot of balls into the box (scoring from 2 headers). If you look at my thread from the start of the season I anticipated that to be our strategic approach and for the first time today I thought we replicated his ambition to the standards he would want.

Some lads have given Koeman something to think about beyond just the next game but also beyond January. Primarily McCarthy who I would say was as good as gone before tonight. He pushed him further forward in to a box to box position and this is probably his best position. He is not as clever or good enough football to play in a 2 man pivot, but allow him to use his stamina and ability to press and cover the ground he looks a far better player. In short he looks the player that Spurs wanted to part serious money to bring in.

Barkley is another. I don’t think he was on his way out but I think Koeman was confused what to do with him. He has never looked a natural number 10 to me but looks far happier in himself playing a bit deeper as a midfield player. It’s counter intuitive as the 10 is the free role yet Barkley looks far freer and happier with more responsibility to dictate the pace from deep.

I am digressing slightly, but last night could be a real turning point moment. For Koeman and also for lads like Barkley, Valencia, McCarthy, Coleman, Williams etc. When we play like that, especially at Goodison we are a match for anyone. It is performances like that that have made us all look a bit stupid by saying it’s a squad with top 4 potential. The key has to be consistency.

Koeman showed bravery last night, putting Valencia in and then bringing on Calvert-Lewin and Mirallas. Hopefully that will continue and we can build some momentum going into January.
Excellent post.

Whilst I have my suspicions based on the demeanour of certain players last night, are there any rumours reaching your ears about anyone in particular saying anything in particular?

No I have no knowledge of that. I believe the focus was on the positive looking forwards and if anything was said it should remain behind closed doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back