Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bolasie - our best attacker. The stats back that up. The only attacker we have who presses and suits how Koeman wanted to play. Now out for a year.

Sissoko - would have added pace, power and height to a midfield that sorely lack it, as proved by one injury to McCarthy last night that scuppered our entire game plan.

What about the guy who signed Gueye, and at S'ton signed Van Dijk, Tadic, Austin, Pelle, Mane etc.

Talking tosh mate.

All about opinions but I still can't understand your thinking that working hard is an effective gameplan.
Look at those bells from across the park, City, Chelsea, - they work hard off the ball but when they get it they play.
I don't think anyone is expecting us to be as good on the ball as the above mentioned but the long diagonal isn't a game plan. You say in the first half we didn't play long ball yet the times we didnt was when Coleman marauded down the right which got us a couple of corners.
I watched it with some lids last night who were just baffled at the end, "(we) can see what you're doing off the ball, and it's great, but what exactly is your plan on it? Get it to a full back or go long?".
This is Koeman's fault because, despite all of Martinez's misgivings, we could knock some passes together last season. We needed a playmaker, granted, but we've needed one for 3 years. Surely when you've got an open cheque-book, 2 months in pre-season is enough to identify that we don't have anyone that can confidently get in the final third and bring a bit of subtlety.
Worryingly though, being direct IS his game plan. It has to be. He's been here nearly half a season and our shape on the ball, the way we use it, is sub-standard and it's completely, 100% the manager's fault.
He needs more time, absolutely, but the fear is growing that he is going to spend a truck load of money and spend 3 years here and we will still be watching this turd. That's because he is yet to give us any indication that he is creating something piece by piece.

I do not like Ronald Koeman. I didn't and don't think he's the right manager for us and, worst of all, he has the head of a baby.

That being said, he's certainly not a terrible manager and deserves a bit of time to implement his ideas. The fact is that I know eff all about football, but just enough to know that it historically takes more than 6 months to shape a team. He deserves our support and a chance, at least, to overhaul our forward line and put some actual players in front of the opposition goal.

My bet is that Ronald won't work out and will leave us in a fairly mid-table mediocrity. My deep, deep hope is that my complete ignorance of football is leading me to this conclusion and that I will be proven spectacularly wrong. Give the man-baby time.

So all the haters who went quiet for a few days after Arsenal have slithered back. Can't say I'm shocked at all. If you want to criticize him when he gets stuff wrong I'd get it but just what planet are you all on if you think he was to blame for last night?! It's not his fault that our player's once again showed just how mentality weak they are. This entire squad is an absolute cowardly joke with zero ambition, they're like a gang of mice that occasionally roar in impotent rage. The sooner Koeman rips it to shreds and starts again the better.
Have you ever thought that critiscm can be constructive
Last night in the first 30mins we had a real passion about our play, we were chasing and winning every ball and with Coleman we had a decent option on the flank. This is great to get the supporters going and it was working a treat, but it did hide the fact that we never put more than 3 or 4 passes together. We continue to hit long aimless balls to a CF that can't hold the ball, we also defend to deep so when he does hold the ball the distance to support gives the opposition time to get back into position.
Last night the blame lies with the manager, simply because he got it pretty much right in the first half but the second half it was if the instruction was don't lose the point we have. We packed our half with 10 players and launched the ball to a very isolated Lukaku.
As for the squad.....best squad we have had since the mid 80's according to some las season

Excuse me sir but the tosh comes from your trap. This has been brought up multiple times. Koeman did not sign anyone at Southampton. No manager does. Next, if you're trying to prove your point that he signs quality why include Austin and Pelle? As for Bolasie it's hardly an amazing achievement (even if the only thing you're concerned with is stats, which are extremely misleading and not representative of real quality) beating out our current attacking crop. Finally if you think Sissoko (Who isn't a cm by the way or at least will never be able to play there with his work rate) is a player who can take us forward then that just baffles me as he was atrocious for Newcastle yet knocks a couple balls past some defenders in the euros and everyone thinks he's the second coming.

Eh?

Mate... he arrived and signed a player from his former team (Pelle) and a player from the league he came from (Tadic) as he knew they'd fit straight in.

How can you say a manager doesn't sign players? He identifies the targets that he wants and the DoF goes out and gets them.

Another role of the DoF is to suggest targets to the manager, based on requirements the manager has set out.

And Sissoko had his best games at Newcastle and on the international stage playing in the centre.

But okay, he's never been a CM...

Sound pal

All about opinions but I still can't understand your thinking that working hard is an effective gameplan.
Look at those bells from across the park, City, Chelsea, - they work hard off the ball but when they get it they play.
I don't think anyone is expecting us to be as good on the ball as the above mentioned but the long diagonal isn't a game plan. You say in the first half we didn't play long ball yet the times we didnt was when Coleman marauded down the right which got us a couple of corners.
I watched it with some lids last night who were just baffled at the end, "(we) can see what you're doing off the ball, and it's great, but what exactly is your plan on it? Get it to a full back or go long?".
This is Koeman's fault because, despite all of Martinez's misgivings, we could knock some passes together last season. We needed a playmaker, granted, but we've needed one for 3 years. Surely when you've got an open cheque-book, 2 months in pre-season is enough to identify that we don't have anyone that can confidently get in the final third and bring a bit of subtlety.
Worryingly though, being direct IS his game plan. It has to be. He's been here nearly half a season and our shape on the ball, the way we use it, is sub-standard and it's completely, 100% the manager's fault.
He needs more time, absolutely, but the fear is growing that he is going to spend a truck load of money and spend 3 years here and we will still be watching this turd. That's because he is yet to give us any indication that he is creating something piece by piece.
I feel we are like the Wimbledon of the Prem at the moment, that appears to be our game plan.

I do not like Ronald Koeman. I didn't and don't think he's the right manager for us and, worst of all, he has the head of a baby.

That being said, he's certainly not a terrible manager and deserves a bit of time to implement his ideas. The fact is that I know eff all about football, but just enough to know that it historically takes more than 6 months to shape a team. He deserves our support and a chance, at least, to overhaul our forward line and put some actual players in front of the opposition goal.

My bet is that Ronald won't work out and will leave us in a fairly mid-table mediocrity. My deep, deep hope is that my complete ignorance of football is leading me to this conclusion and that I will be proven spectacularly wrong. Give the man-baby time.

MAN-BABY! he has the face of a baby, but the MIND of an adult(copyright father ted)

It's not about working hard - that should be a given.

Our game plan was to press them high and win the ball back on the half-way line, turning play over quickly.

We did that, right up until McCarthy went off.

And yeh, we can't knock passes together. I don't get why. I think it's part manager, part players, because we both know full well - as much as we defended Bobby - that the football has been poor since the start of 2016, on the whole.

Last night in the first 30mins we had a real passion about our play, we were chasing and winning every ball and with Coleman we had a decent option on the flank. This is great to get the supporters going and it was working a treat, but it did hide the fact that we never put more than 3 or 4 passes together. We continue to hit long aimless balls to a CF that can't hold the ball, we also defend to deep so when he does hold the ball the distance to support gives the opposition time to get back into position.
Last night the blame lies with the manager, simply because he got it pretty much right in the first half but the second half it was if the instruction was don't lose the point we have. We packed our half with 10 players and launched the ball to a very isolated Lukaku.
As for the squad.....best squad we have had since the mid 80's according to some last season
If they believed that, I mean really seriously believed that then they're idiots. Total morons, it's not even close to the best side we've had in the premiership era. It's up with the worst sides we've had since the dark days of relegation battles in the 90's.

I said I'm not going to fume and be patient and so it shall be. I don't know who is to blame but running out of steam after 25 minutes is not on. We started so well I thought things had clicked and then suddenly Jimmy Mac got a crack and it was left to Gueye again to run for the rest of them.

If they believed that, I mean really seriously believed that then they're idiots. Total morons, it's not even close to the best side we've had in the premiership era. It's up with the worst sides we've had since the dark days of relegation battles in the 90's.
They did mate
I have said countless times it isn't the greatest squad of players, but it is better than what we are showing.
The style we are playing is appalling and we may struggle to attract players we all want

Eh?

Mate... he arrived and signed a player from his former team (Pelle) and a player from the league he came from (Tadic) as he knew they'd fit straight in.

How can you say a manager doesn't sign players? He identifies the targets that he wants and the DoF goes out and gets them.

Another role of the DoF is to suggest targets to the manager, based on requirements the manager has set out.

And Sissoko had his best games at Newcastle and on the international stage playing in the centre.

But okay, he's never been a CM...

Sound pal
It's Les Reed who identifies and signs, look it up.

Ok now I know you're lying about seeing Sissoko, go look at whatever website heat map garbage you want and it will tell you Sissoko played wide right the entire tournament and if you actually watched Newcastle you'd know he played wide right and anytime he stepped into the middle he got walked past.

But ok, he's a cm....

What're pretending to be Koeman now "pal"?

It's not about working hard - that should be a given.

Our game plan was to press them high and win the ball back on the half-way line, turning play over quickly.

We did that, right up until McCarthy went off.

And yeh, we can't knock passes together. I don't get why. I think it's part manager, part players, because we both know full well - as much as we defended Bobby - that the football has been poor since the start of 2016, on the whole.

and then what?
You keep focusing on winning the ball mate. and you're spot on. We do that better than we ever did under Martinez.
But what next?
Because most apart from your good self can see that we are absolutely devoid of ideas.

As for the squad.....best squad we have had since the mid 80's according to some las season
Your 'constructive criticism ' strangely fails to note the injury to McCarthy and the effect his replacement by the increasingly ineffectual and aging Barry had on the game.
As for the squad the abysmal recruitment policy of our former manager meant I for one never bought into 'the best squad' rubbish. Our squad is mid table at best and needs an injection of actual quality.

It completely baffles me how there are still people on here who think this guy is the man to lead us,
What are they seeing in him in the 20 odd games we've played to come to that conclusion ? i can't see one positive thing from him, i haven't got a clue what system we play, the players must think that way as well, does he want us to be the new Wimbledon ?
9th place or 10th place ? how [Poor language removed] must this league be because we are absolute dog muck.
We got away with it last week if Arsenal had taken their chances, this "team" could sink like a stone in the next few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back