Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
and then what?
You keep focusing on winning the ball mate. and you're spot on. We do that better than we ever did under Martinez.
But what next?
Because most apart from your good self can see that we are absolutely devoid of ideas.

When we win the ball our attacking midfielder and forwards have to turn up and create something but thats the whole problem. Barkley never sees the right solution our wingers are Championship level and our striker cant hold a ball. With these players you will have the same problems over and over again. A guy like Lennon or Valencia works verry hard but their quality when they have the ball is shocking.

1 shot on target in 90 again, I think this particular stat is becoming more and more regular and that's worrying, can't win if you can't score, can't score if you don't shoot on target.
Not great no, but it needs to be put into the context of the game. The Harlem Globe Trotters only managed 4, and they've been pounding teams this season with their attacking play.

Effort / passion are the starting point. Those things should be a given.

After that though, you do need a bit of quality if you're to achieve anything meaningful.

It's Les Reed who identifies and signs, look it up.

Ok now I know you're lying about seeing Sissoko, go look at whatever website heat map garbage you want and it will tell you Sissoko played wide right the entire tournament and if you actually watched Newcastle you'd know he played wide right and anytime he stepped into the middle he got walked past.

But ok, he's a cm....

What're pretending to be Koeman now "pal"?

Right. I watch football for a living, so don't patronise me.

I know full well how the DoF model works.

A manager sets out a style of play and identifies the 'type' of player who he wants, working alongside the DOF to do that.

The DOF then identifies and signs those players to fit that mould.

Let's say we sign Schneiderlin, a player who Koeman knows extremely well and actually played his best football under him.

That's a Koeman target.

Gueye had in the past been sought by Koeman, and Walsh. Bolasie, likewise, had been praised by Koeman as a player he'd like to sign while he was at Saints.

And okay, Sissoko actually didn't start a match in the Euros until, off the top of my head, the third group game - when France were playing a 4-2-3-1.

In the knockout stages, they stuck to a 4-3-3, and Sissoko played in I believe three of the four games.

He was - and always has been, since he came from the ranks at Toulouse - better in central areas, either on the side of a three or in an advanced role like where he played at Newcastle when he first arrived.

He's been shoehorned out wide as he's got pace and power, but isn't a winger.

But okay.

Not great no, but it needs to be put into the context of the game. The Harlem Globe Trotters only managed 4, and they've been pounding teams this season with their attacking play.

One of which was the goal, one of which was a [Poor language removed] that hit Stek's head, and one of which was the Robles save.

The other one, if i'm not mistaken, was a pea roller.

When we win the ball our attacking midfielder and forwards have to turn up and create something but thats the whole problem. Barkley never sees the right solution our wingers are Championship level and our striker cant hold a ball. With these players you will have the same problems over and over again. A guy like Lennon or Valencia works verry hard but their quality when they have the ball is shocking.
Koeman is paid £6million a year. Surely, with the players he has, he can get a better tune out of those he has.
I agree, we can't expect miracles. I think it is though reasonable to expect more than going back to front in one go or getting Seamus Coleman to run himself into the ground.
We are better than that. I truly believe that.

Effort / passion are the starting point. Those things should be a given.

After that though, you do need a bit of quality if you're to achieve anything meaningful.

Thing is, we had the effort and mostly always do.

As you said, they're a given - they should always be there.

But we have lacked the application of that passion until the Arsenal game, where we actually played a high-tempo, high-pressure game.

That also happened in the first half vs Liverpool.

One thing changed - McCarthy's injury - and the entire pressing stopped. Barry can't do it.

Koeman is paid £6million a year. Surely, with the players he has, he can get a better tune out of those he has.
I agree, we can't expect miracles. I think it is though reasonable to expect more than going back to front in one go or getting Seamus Coleman to run himself into the ground.
We are better than that. I truly believe that.

We are talking about a club that paid £10million to get rid of somebody who made us mid-table in the first place though aren't we...

Lowery Hull had more efforts than us Liverpool's keeper had more to do in the first 15 minutes - it was a typical Derby with a typical twist in their favour a scuffed shot that fell nice, though our defenders were asleep to the on a minute earlier the ball bounced off a defender safely as Lukaku ran in on a dribble in their favour - thats them all over I am afraid years of watching these games to beat them you have to have a classier team than we have atm!

Subs were absolutely inexcusably shocking and lost us the game. Tom Davies is probably the best young player we have at the club and he can't even get on the bench. Why was Kenny there?

Were they?

The Calvert-Lewin one was poor, granted.

The Barry one? Well it's the only option we have. We all bang on about Davies but how many of us have seen him play more than about 2 hours of Prem football. I haven't.

I'm not saying I don't think he shouldn't be in, but d'you think him coming on yesterday would have won us the game? We'll never know...

Couldn't really do much about the goalkeeper mate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back