Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The high point for that group of players was when Moyes left and Martinez stepped in and took therm to another level. Let that never be forgotten.

What Koeman has done in his takeover is breathtakingly bad by comparison: he's taken an underperforming unconfident group of players...and made them WORSE!

Now that could change over time and I expect it will if he wants to keep his job. But what's in front of our noses right now is what's being assessed - and it's putrid.
It is Martinez who got us where we are with poor recruitment and strategy. By the end his Everton side replicated his Wigan side. Koeman is tasked with fixing it. Can he do it? At present we don't know, but it's still early days.

It is Martinez who got us where we are with poor recruitment and strategy. By the end his Everton side replicated his Wigan side. Koeman is tasked with fixing it. Can he do it? At present we don't know, but it's still early days.
First five games of the season and the record start for Koeman: which players achieved that? The ones he received from Martinez/Moyes era.

They still had the ability to get on the ball and find feet...Koeman has now instructed them to forget all that and hoof the ball as far downfield as possible.

Dont blame the poor job on the tradesman's tools; it's the tradesman who is to blame.

Other managers new to clubs dont seem to have that problem though do they? Isn't Koeman supposed to be a 'step up' from what we've had in the past? Utterly laughable claim that one is turning out to be. He is 'kin rank on the evidence displayed so far. It's polishing a turd to deny that.

It is a jolly good job Joe Royle and indeed David Moyes were able to operate with the players they inherited and were able to show immediate improvement when they took over from failed managers.

Then you have a very short memory. Even in the last two mediocre seasons Everton were noted by most in the game as a team that could get on the ball and play some very nice football. No one is ever going to say the same about this ugly Everton team Koeman is intent on putting together. We are in a bracket now with the likes of Palace, Watford and West Brom - teams that pay very little attention to the movement of the ball.

It's 'kin atrocious.
No no no. The decline started at least 18 months ago and RM did nothing to stop it. Koeman is trying to at least get them more solid and compete - not easy with the current group. If not mistaken were on the same number of points as the same stage last year, so worse no - stabilised decline the next month or so will decide that along with the players he brings in. Without question RM would have took us down with plaudits of being the best relegated passing team!

Dave I'm a big fan of your work on this forum but you keep repeating that we played attractive football under martinez. You couldn't be more wrong about that in my opinion. That slow sideways possession football sent goodison to sleep and tragically ended my 10 year old son from wanting to go the match.
I think we're all agreed that the current football isn't good enough but it's quite obvious who he's trying to get rid of and time will tell if his replacements are any better.

I thoroughly enjoyed martinezs football. The results just didn't arrive though.

Every neutral I know thought Everton were brilliant to watch under Martinez but all of them are cringing at the dross served up now.

Apart from my step dad who is a saints fan who keeps saying to me with a huge smug grin... "I told you so"

It is a jolly good job Joe Royle and indeed David Moyes were able to operate with the players they inherited and were able to show immediate improvement when they took over from failed managers.
That's a good point Khalekan but the players both those managers inherited weren't as blatantly unfit as the current team.

I thoroughly enjoyed martinezs football. The results just didn't arrive though.

Every neutral I know thought Everton were brilliant to watch under Martinez but all of them are cringing at the dross served up now.

Apart from my step dad who is a saints fan who keeps saying to me with a huge smug grin... "I told you so"
He sure divided opinion mate but I found the 2nd and 3rd season crushingly dull. I'm not advocating long ball football but I like to see a few crosses sent in the box at least

That's a good point Khalekan but the players both those managers inherited weren't as blatantly unfit as the current team.

Apart from the fact there is no evidence, circumstantial or otherwise, to back up such a claim, Koeman has had five months and half a season to up their fitness levels somewhat.

And judging by the way our team hit a brick wall round about the half hour mark the other night, quite the reverse has happened :(

Every neutral I know thought Everton were brilliant to watch under Martinez but all of them are cringing at the dross served up now

I agree - during the first season. He was found out after that though and totally unable (or unwilling) to adapt. Two years of endless sideways passing was mind numbing. Add in the comedy defence during the final year of his tenure and it was an unmitigated disaster. Other clubs would have pulled the plug long before we did.

Apart from the fact there is no evidence, circumstantial or otherwise, to back up such a claim, Koeman has had five months and half a season to up their fitness levels somewhat.

And judging by the way our team hit a brick wall round about the half hour mark the other night, quite the reverse has happened :(
Agreed mate it's still a massive issue and it's my biggest gripe so far with koeman

Against Arsenal, we looked like an actual team again, but the second half against Liverpool we were awful

I don't know if Koeman is the answer or not, but what I do know is that we're probably going to have a lousy season for the third time in a row

Koeman has a window now in Jan and then another in the summer to make required changes to the playing staff

If after those changes we're still cack, if he isn't worried for his continued employment at that point he really should be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back