Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
First five games of the season and the record start for Koeman: which players achieved that? The ones he received from Martinez/Moyes era.

They still had the ability to get on the ball and find feet...Koeman has now instructed them to forget all that and hoof the ball as far downfield as possible.

Dont blame the poor job on the tradesman's tools; it's the tradesman who is to blame.
TBF Dave credit to you - you called Koeman a fraud early doors and saw through his route 1 tactics instantly. I didn't agree with your opinion of Martinez but I can see this guy is much worse. Cant see where we move on from this now beyond cutting him loose and preferably by the end of the season.

Every neutral I know thought Everton were brilliant to watch under Martinez but all of them are cringing at the dross served up now.

Apart from my step dad who is a saints fan who keeps saying to me with a huge smug grin... "I told you so"

Every neutral I know who actually watch football said we were great to watch in Martinez first season but could clearly see how backwards we were going in the next 2 seasons.

Even my Saints supporting pals know Koeman is substantially superior and are all still very bitter that he left them after their best ever season. I repeat. Best ever season.

Is that beyond half the team he has already changed?

Yes it is. Gueye has been a massive success. Williams was a stop gap, as was Steklenberg. Neither of those 2 were long term signings.
Bolasie suffered a bad injury.

9 of the team that finished the game vs LFC weren't signed by Koeman.
0 of the subs were signed by Koeman either.

Yes it is. Gueye has been a massive success. Williams was a stop gap, as was Steklenberg. Neither of those 2 were long term signings.

He had 5 of his own on the pitch vs LFC - and Calvert Lewin - who has looked as bad as anyone - was signed by him, so we finished with 3 not 2 of his own signings. And as for stop gaps, why were Williams and Stek (both dreadful) signed instead of bringing in longer term options?

He had 5 of his own on the pitch vs LFC - and Calvert Lewin was signed by him, so we finished with 3 not 2 of his own signings. And as for stop gaps, why were Williams and Stek signed instead of bringing in longer term options?

Okay, I'll give you Calvert Lewin.

We signed Stek and Williams because longer term solutions weren't available at that time. It's not exactly easy to replace a young centre half with 22 days left of the window. I'm glad they didn't waste money on players they weren't sure about.

DoF and scouting teams plan their signings 2 to 3 transfer windows in advance. People keep ignoring this. We didn't just sack the manager, we brought in a whole new backroom and scouting team. Massive upheaval at the club, during a Euros summer when transfer activity was largely limited across all club until commencing late July/early August.

Okay, I'll give you Calvert Lewin.

We signed Stek and Williams because longer term solutions weren't available at that time. It's not exactly easy to replace a young centre half with 22 days left of the window. I'm glad they didn't waste money on players they weren't sure about.

DoF and scouting teams plan their signings 2 to 3 transfer windows in advance. People keep ignoring this. We didn't just sack the manager, we brought in a whole new backroom and scouting team. Massive upheaval at the club, during a Euros summer when transfer activity was largely limited across all club until commencing late July/early August.

Well we've just blown in excess of 10m on two extremely short term options so I am far from clear as to what you are referring to when you claim money hasn't been wasted? Certainly we will be receiving no fee for either of them in the future so its money down the drain. Both poor at present as well. Calvert Lewin has looked a nothing player from what I have seen so far, so that's another 1.5m to the bin.

He's clearly made changes and bar Gana and Bolasie (whose career could now be derailed completely due to his age and type of injury) I'm seeing no positives at all in any of them.

Last edited:
Well we've just blown in excess of 10m on two extremely short term options so I am far from clear as to what you are referring to when you claim money hasn't been wasted? Certainly we will be receiving no fee for either of them in the future so its money down the drain. Both poor at present as well. Calvert Lewin has looked a nothing player from what I have seen so far, so that's another 1.5m to the bin.

Wow. Calvert Lewin has made 2 sub appearances, 1 where he looked very good against Arsenal, and 1 vs LFC where he wasn't at his best. He's been great for the reserves. Can't believe you're writing a player off after one bad 20 minute run out.

As for Williams he was a solid buy and came with a lot of experience. Yeah, he hasn't been great but there was sound logic in signing him.

Every neutral I know who actually watch football said we were great to watch in Martinez first season but could clearly see how backwards we were going in the next 2 seasons.

Even my Saints supporting pals know Koeman is substantially superior and are all still very bitter that he left them after their best ever season. I repeat. Best ever season.

Whatchoo talkin 'bout, Willis.

I remember they nearly won the league in the 80s, finishing runner up the year we beat them in the semi final at Highbury.

Last season was not their best season ever.

That is some outstanding levels of spin... but calvert lewin was signed by him.

I think we shall review the season in May not now. Don't forget it takes at least the next summer window to build his (Koeman) squad. Martinez had 3 years.

Martinez only had three years because of the first season.

If that had gone the same way as the two subsequent seasons he would have been gone after eighteen months.

Ditto with Koeman.....if we are still in the same rut this time next year as we are now he will have very few supporters left on this forum and his tenure will be coming close to ending.

Underachieving managers don't get three years no moah......not even at Everton.

He's clearly made changes and bar Gana and Bolasie (whose career could now be derailed completely due to his age and type of injury) I'm seeing no positives at all in any of them.

Remind me, how many first team minutes has Calvin Lewis played for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back