Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll only know this when the games matter. As much as I am liking this recent form, Everton winning games that don't matter is nothing new. The only remaining acid tests this season are the Anfield derby and if we get close enough to teams above us that the league games become significant. Winning multiple games on a row knowing that regardless of the score you're not moving up or down from 7th has always been easy for this group of players.

So far this season we've not won away from home at any of the top 6, we lost the Derby, and we lost both cup games. The three most important games of the season so far have all been at Goodison and we lost to a championship side, a relegation struggler, and a Liverpool team who now can't buy a win. The rest of the season in all the games that don't really matter surprise surprise we're unbeaten at Goodison.

This group of players bottle when any pressure whatsoever is on. It's Koeman's biggest task to change that mindset.
I agree for the most part. The old guard need to be shifted out before we can move on to better things. Bringing in Davies and Holgate was a bold move but ultimately one that's worked. We are still shy of some real winners in the team but maybe these lads along with Lukaku, Barkley and the new signings can show the will to beat anyone in front of us. We are solid in most areas so why not...

The biggest and only acid test is where we finish in the league. It is not about certain games or how we perform against certain teams, the only thing that matters is the league position and if we have won a trophy or not.

Currently we are 7th and the second most improved side behind Chelsea. If it finishes like this or we finish higher, the season is an improvement and that can not be argued with. Yes we had two disappointing cup runs but it isn't like we won them last season.

I would happily get every year at Anfield if it meant we won the league. One single game doesn't make a season. In fact, I would take getting beat at Anfield and finishing 4th.
Especially if they finished 5th.:)

Seriously though, I agree with most of your point. However I would add that, by analysing the games you lose, you may identify a trend and uncover a weakness in our play or in our squad. Such as breaking down teams who park the bus, or defending our own corners. That sort of thing.

And they are being achieved playing in a style that is improving by the week. We played some excellent stuff against Palace. The tiki-taka merchants hate it because it blows their argument to smithereens.

Said it before and I'll say it again, no Everton supporter prioritises style over results. You can go round Goodison and ask every fan in the stadium, not a single solitary one would say style is more important than winning.

Not for everyone. Look at clubs all over binning off managers for not playing the "insert club name" way. West Ham and Man U spring immediately to mind.

I disagree, that is generally an excuse rolled out to justify the sacking of a manager, in either case if those teams were riding high and winning trophies I'd bet my pants that little detail would be overlooked. I have no issue with our style of play at the moment, Ron is using the resources at his disposal to get results and he's doing a better job of it than his predecessor and more importantly a better job than Klopp at the moment.

The mythical West Ham way that has won them virtually nothing for most of their history.

Way of playing comes in two forms as important, when you are winning everything going and it's the cherry on the top - purely because you can afford to favour style and are still good enough to dominate - Barca, Madrid, Man United are classic examples - and probably Bayern now too.

OR

when you are basically a none entity and it's the only thing you can cling on to as a positive - West Ham, Swansea, us for some under Martinez etc

Because some of us have an eye on the aesthetic side of football. Liverpool won loads in the 70s and they were an appalling team playing sterile football; Leeds of the same period were a bunch of cut-throats - they won though so I suppose that's great.
So if we won the league next year playing terrible football, there would still be a small amount of disappointment inside of you?

Said it before and I'll say it again, no Everton supporter prioritises style over results. You can go round Goodison and ask every fan in the stadium, not a single solitary one would say style is more important than winning.

How many times in the boozers after the match last year did you hear people saying "Yea, but the way we passed it about the back line was ace."

Everyone is usually happy with a win, few are usually happy if we've lost regardless of how we played.

Last team to win the PL 'the right way?'
A terrible team, and a terrible example to any club that want to do well in this league.

Still, they've underlined what they are this season...a massive flash in the pan - the exception that proves the rule that good passing football will always win out over huff and puff, up and under hoofball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back