Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll only know this when the games matter. As much as I am liking this recent form, Everton winning games that don't matter is nothing new. The only remaining acid tests this season are the Anfield derby and if we get close enough to teams above us that the league games become significant. Winning multiple games on a row knowing that regardless of the score you're not moving up or down from 7th has always been easy for this group of players.

So far this season we've not won away from home at any of the top 6, we lost the Derby, and we lost both cup games. The three most important games of the season so far have all been at Goodison and we lost to a championship side, a relegation struggler, and a Liverpool team who now can't buy a win. The rest of the season in all the games that don't really matter surprise surprise we're unbeaten at Goodison.

This group of players bottle when any pressure whatsoever is on. It's Koeman's biggest task to change that mindset.
I agree to a certain extent - the games against RS and the good teams will be test our mettle but I think another barometer is how we react to going a goal down or a team clawing us back. I think Koeman's team has done ok in those circumstances so far

The biggest and only acid test is where we finish in the league. It is not about certain games or how we perform against certain teams, the only thing that matters is the league position and if we have won a trophy or not.

Currently we are 7th and the second most improved side behind Chelsea. If it finishes like this or we finish higher, the season is an improvement and that can not be argued with. Yes we had two disappointing cup runs but it isn't like we won them last season.

I would happily get every year at Anfield if it meant we won the league. One single game doesn't make a season. In fact, I would take getting beat at Anfield and finishing 4th.

Impossible standards so that in their own head, they can say they were right all along. If the standards are somehow achieved, then the goalposts manoeuvre themselves as and when appropriate. Rinse and repeat, the cat orange guide to being right to strangers on the internet.

I don't think its isolated to just one person.

The whole inconsistency doesn't make sense.

I guess people really dislike the new regime. Or maybe scared of being hurt again.

My issue isn't with setting targets for the teams performance in 2020.

I just think there is an inconsistency when the out and out doom merchants take this stance:

We aren't going to invest in the squad BUT we HAVE to qualify for the champions league in 3 years or the on-field project is a failure.

...well it wouldn't be a success, would it?

If we haven't secured a cup by any season three that Koeman sees through then we better be in those top 4 spots, otherwise what's the point of throwing large amounts of money at buying players and handing him £6M per year?

...well it wouldn't be a success, would it?

If we haven't secured a cup by any season three that Koeman sees through then we better be in those top 4 spots, otherwise what's the point of throwing large amounts of money at buying players and handing him £6M per year?

You're making my point for me here I think.

If we provide Koeman / Walsh with resources ("throwing large amounts of money at buying players") comparable with the clubs above us then he has to compete with those clubs.

BUT

I've noticed this attitude:

We aren't going to invest in the squad (Mosh is a fraud) BUT we HAVE to qualify for the champions league in 3 years or the on-field project is a failure.

Why do you care about the style as long as Everton win? Results mean eveything.
Because some of us have an eye on the aesthetic side of football. Liverpool won loads in the 70s and they were an appalling team playing sterile football; Leeds of the same period were a bunch of cut-throats - they won though so I suppose that's great.

Because some of us have an eye on the aesthetic side of football. Liverpool won loads in the 70s and they were an appalling team playing sterile football; Leeds of the same period were a bunch of cut-throats - they won though so I suppose that's great.

There is no such thing as there is no definite answer. If you are an Evertonian, the most definite answer is winning three points every week, it outweighs everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back