Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great point here from this weeks contributer to the Liverpool Echo's view from the Gwladys Street article.

I just want to remind everyone how far we have come. If you think back to last season about this time and the resignation Toffees fans had as they headed to Goodison.

Sure, Romelu might have a big match and earn us the three points, but fans had no idea which team was going to show up, and most of the time didn’t like the one that ultimately did.

Now, every match has a sense of optimism and wonder about it.

Who will start? How will they play? What will the formation be?

But you know what I don’t find myself repeating to myself? 'I hope we don’t embarrass ourselves'.

Because with Koeman at the helm, there is a new standard at Everton, and that standard is excellence.

I think most of us would agree with Kevin Ratcliffes assessment of things here.

It will take something special to get into the top six, when you think of what you're competing against up there, and we're just at the start of our journey under Ronald Koeman.

But earlier in the season, I was looking at teams above us and thinking 'why are they above us?' - with the players we have, it shouldn't have been happening. Now, we're well clear of them.

You look up the table and you half expect the teams above us to be there, simply because of where we are in our development. That's no bad thing because it's better to look at results above you, rather than below you.

Whilst I appreciate there are certain caveats which can be applied, I think generally speaking the best way of judging any manager is on results - they are ultimately what we care about and how we judge performance

If we look at how the last two managers of Everton were doing after 23 games of each full season they managed, you see the following:

Moyes
02/03 - 36 pts
03/04 - 25 pts
04/05 - 44 pts
05/06 - 29 pts
06/07 - 32 pts
07/08 - 42 pts
08/09 - 37 pts
09/10 - 32 pts
10/11 - 27 pts
11/12 - 29 pts
12/13 - 38 pts
Martinez
13/14 - 42 pts
14/15 - 26 pts
15/16 - 29 pts

Everton currently have 37 points, a tally which we have only bettered at this stage of a season 4 times in the last 14 seasons

Everton's average points return over the last 14 seasons after 23 games is 33.42

Our best points return at this stage (44 pts in 04/05 - the CL qualification season) would only be good enough for 6th place in the current PL table

Martinez's 72 point season had a great last 15 games where we picked up 30 points. After 23 games we would have been no higher than our current position of 7th, based on goal difference.

Add some caveats about cup performances, performances of other clubs, budgets, it only really being worth looking at performance over a full season, state of the club when Koeman came in etc, but I think it's reasonable enough based on the above to suggest that Koeman is doing alright so far. Above average based on the last 15 years, but plenty of scope to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back